The Top 6 International Ladies at this point in time | Golden Skate

The Top 6 International Ladies at this point in time

Who are your top six Ladies for the upcoming season which will start in about 6 months in Atlantic City. It's not for predicting the Olys. There is time for that. This is more for your feelings about the six you believe are tops at this point in time . Those Ladies who will be most discussed after each of the international competitions.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'll say, in no special order:

Irina, Joanie, Carolina, Sasha, Michelle,.........and, any of the Japanese ladies.... :yes: seriously, they seem to play "tag-team" at times. One is up and the others are down.......42

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
The World Champions from the last 3 years: Michelle Kwan (2003), Shizuka Arakawa (2004) and Irina Slutskaya (2005) are obviously prime contenders to watch. Joining them atop the heap is 2-time World Silver Medalist Sasha Cohen, the only singles skater to medal in both 2004 (6.0) and 2005 (CoP).

The other two are a bit tougher to call. One is most likely Carolina Kostner, who improved on her presentation and won her first World Medal (a bronze) this year. This shines a big spotlight on her since the 2006 Olympics will be held in her home country. It is a close call between Joannie Rochette or Fumie Suguri for the other spot. I have to give the nod to Fumie, as she has already proven herself on the World Scene as a 2-time World Bronze Medalist. Joannie could have established herself with a Top 6 finish in Moscow, instead she melted down.

Last edited:

handlem9z

Rinkside
1. Michelle Kwan
2. Irina Slutskaya
3. Sasha Cohen
4. Miki Ando
5. Fumie Suguri
6. Carolina Kostner (There will be talk about her, but I think she is lucky to make the medal stand if any of the top 5 skaters skate cleanly)

I don't think Slutskaya, Cohen and Kwan are about to give up their obvious top spots, however:

Irina is the Queen of the Technical but she could work on a better presentation.

Sasha could work on making her jumps more solid and add a 3x3. the judges adore her 'wow' positions.

Michelle should try to steal the show with a 3x3x2, and she's got to work that CoP system.

Shizuka if she gets back her nerves and goes for gold everywhere there is a competition.

Carolina she must lead off with that 3x3x2, and work on improving her junior-like presentatin.

My sixth top Lady is a toss up between Susanna and Joannie. I know I said 6 but in this case it is not so easy.

Susanna - A Kwan clone who is coming into her own and the judges are noticing.

Joannie - she's got the goods and if she holds up during the season, should be top 6 easily.

Joe

Matt

On the Ice
In no particular order:
1. Slutskaya
2. Cohen
3. Kwan
4. Ando
5. Arakawa
6. Kostner

IMO, Kostner can do enough in this coming season to keep a virtual lock on her spot, but if I had to pick someone who could replace her, I'd probably go with Rochette. I would absolutely love to see Pöykiö be in the top 6 before Olympics, but although the judges are starting to take notice of her (finally), I don't think her reputation will up to serious contender status in time. Plus, with all the Canadians behind Rochette, there will (sadly) probably be more hype over her than a lowly skater from Finland.

nicole_l

Final Flight
As they come to mind:

Kwan
Cohen
Slutskaya
Kostner
Suguri
Arakawa

although I agree that Rochette could have been on there instead of either Arakawa or Suguri if she had a better finish at Worlds.

Matt said:
IMO, Kostner can do enough in this coming season to keep a virtual lock on her spot, but if I had to pick someone who could replace her, I'd probably go with Rochette. I would absolutely love to see Pöykiö be in the top 6 before Olympics, but although the judges are starting to take notice of her (finally), I don't think her reputation will up to serious contender status in time. Plus, with all the Canadians behind Rochette, there will (sadly) probably be more hype over her than a lowly skater from Finland.

Poykio has moved up the ladder from 12 (Dortmund) to 8 (Moscow). I think she will be around the top 6 before season's end. Btw, Finland gets 2 skaters for the Olys. this should make Susanna work harder.

Rochette, too, should be up there. I can not decide between the two.

I'm just doubtful of Suguri, maybe I shouldn't but I am.

It'll be very interesting season for the Ladies when you throw in Ando, Carter and whomever the Americans decide. Hopefully Bebe.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
In no particular order the top six women right now are:

1)Irina Slutskaya-2nd most accomplished skater career-wise behind only Kwan, and only women who has been regular rival of Kwan her whole career. Went undefeated last year, simply dominated, her skate at Worlds was skate of the year. No brainer.

2)Michelle Kwan-her 4th place finish at Worlds was her first time off the podium in something like 80 events going back to the initial 4th at the 95 Worlds. Again a no brainer, even if she has her work cut out for her.

3)Sasha Cohen-2nd at last two Worlds, only women to medal at each of the last two Worlds. Gorgeous presentation, capable technical ability, lacking consistency, yet hasnt been off the podium of any event in 2 years. Another no brainer.

4)Shizuka Arakawa-She was only 9th at Worlds. She did come 2nd at the GP final, even with another dissapointing long program, and only Kwan and Cohen skipped the series. She was World Champion only a year ago, and only Slutskaya's Worlds long program this year, and Kwan's U.S nationals long program last year, can compare to her skate of Worlds a year ago, among all the women's competitive skates in the last 15 months. Her scores in the short program earlier this year make her and Slutskaya the only woman to earn mid-60 short program scores this year. Still among top 6 women for me.

5)Carolina Kostner-She came back after a difficult season to win a surprise bronze at Worlds. Alot of you seem to forget Carolina had her share of mistakes in the final long too. In the second half of her final long program she landed none of her final 4 jumps cleanly, and still won a bronze medal. Amazing speed, great jumps, better overall skating than Ando, still a bit immature. Was 5th a last years Worlds to go along with her 3rd this year. Cant leave her out of the top 6 women personaly.

6)Fumie Suguri-Her performances at the Four Continents would have won her silver or bronze at Worlds, too bad she could not duplicate them at Worlds. Her fall in the short was most costly to her. Has regained contenders status for me though. I would take her more seriously than either Rochette or Poykio at this point. One of my top six women right now.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Definitely Kwan, Slutskaya and Cohen.

Then I would say Shizuka, Fumie and Kostner ... but with a stipulation that either Joannie or Miki (or both) could replace them.

tannisming

Rinkside
Irena, Arakawa. Ando, Sasha, Carolina and Kimmie. I really think Mao will wipe them all out when they finally let her skate big time.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
tannisming said:
Irena, Arakawa. Ando, Sasha, Carolina and Kimmie. I really think Mao will wipe them all out when they finally let her skate big time.

kimmie in the top 6? she wasn't even in the top 3 at jr worlds..

Callystarr

Rinkside

1. Irina Slutskaya (RUS)
2. Michelle Kwan (USA)
3. Sasha Cohen (USA)
4. Shizika Arakawa (JPN)
5. Fumie Suguri (JPN)
6. Miki Ando (JPN)
[/COLOR]

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Carolina she must lead off with that 3x3x2, and work on improving her junior-like presentatin.

I think Carolina is going to be looking to make that 3/3/3 for this season. She does 3flip/3toe/3loop in practice fairly consistently and apparently was landing it in practices and run throughs at both this year's and last year's championships. I think she'll be looking to land that in competition for the upcoming season. If she does then she could pull a Van de Perren and fill the spare jumping pass with another double axel to ramp the points up and gain the ground that Irina has on the technical mark.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Slutskaya (WC 2002, 2005, GPF Champion 2004-2005 season)
Kwan (WC 2001, 2003, World bronze 2004)
Arakawa (WC 2004)
Cohen (World silver 2004, 2005, GPF Champion 2002-2003 season)
Suguri (World bronze 2002, 2003, GPF Champion 2003-2004 season)
Kostner (World bronze 2005)

Beyond that, honorable mention goes to:
Ando - top 6 in her two years ' Worlds appearances
Poykio - silver at Euros, moved up from 12th to 8th at Worlds

I can't give a nod to Rochette, who was 8th in 2004 but dropped to 11th this year, almost the reverse of Poykio. She had a real opportunity to capture the interest of the judges and establish herself as a medal contender after solid performances in the GP, but her debacle at Worlds 2005 is a major setback for her. She almost has to win the GPF this season to prove herself in time for Torino.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Rochette was robbed royaly by the judges in the short program at Worlds. Her technical score was fair enough, but her program components were a joke. Sokolova hardly the queen of basic skating and program packaging scored a 28+ total to Rochette's 25+, even Miki Ando received higher scores on program components, and I cant think of any of the 5 areas she is better in.

curious

Final Flight
we are talking about the best ladies at this point,not the best career. Irina,Sasha,Shizuka,Carolina,Michell,Ando. :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
Right now,

1.Irina- she totally dominated the ladies last year.
2.Sasha- she finally seems to have it together
3.Michelle- you can never count her out of the top 3 spots
4.Carolina- she has the 3-3-2, speed, and the future on her side
5.Shizuka- cannot ignore who was a world champ just 15 months ago
6.Too many contenders for this spot, but right now I give the nod to Miki.

Fumie was tough to ignore but she is an up and down skater, who does not have a 3-3.

Poykio will be edged out by someone unless she gets a 3-3 and more speed

Rochette could be the closest challenger to the spot I gave Ando.

Sokolova- I don't see her as a top 6 skater at this point, though she could rebound next year.

I don't see anyone else that can be even considered for a top 6 spot. The ladies field has a lot of depth right now.

Vash

Well thought out Vash! - The Ladies field is deep as is the Men's field. I think the top 5 Ladies should be there but who could be the sixth. It could be Vikka.
She's been there before or maybe a US Nats, 3rd place Lady.

Joe

chipso1

Rinkside
I agree, Joe. Viktoria Volchkova seemed VERY (almost, surprisingly) strong and well adapted to the CoP at Cup of China this year. It was the first performance of hers that I actually enjoyed. :)