Thread: Another Kwan article - "Miracle on Nice"

Down With It

Another Kwan article - "Miracle on Nice"

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd

Nice article, but....

Kwan's legacy is more than and longer than Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Peggy Fleming?!?!? I'm a Kwan fan and into the MK lovefest as much as anyone, but that's taking it a little too far...

Yeah, that was kind of silly on the reporter's part. He must have been referring to the fact that in the past, people went pro after their amateur careers, whereas now the top stars like Michelle can be a pro and an amateur at the same time.

Peggy, Dorothy and Kristi went on to even greater heights after exiting the competitive scene, and to this day they are three of the most influential names in the sport.

Tara, too, to the extent that her injuries allowed. As for Sarah, who is to say what the future might still bring?

(But Michelle's the greatest, even so, LOL.)

Mathman

Custom Title
    In terms of the majority of people (i.e. NOT the people that visit figure skating boards on the internet), Peggy and Dorothy are still remembered as icons in the sport. Kristi, no. She has done amazing things, but she never secured the iconic status of Fleming and Hamel. But she's done better than Lipinski or Hughes, who havent established even Kristi-level legacy.

That can't be debated on a figure skating board where we are all so knowledgeable about skaters. Go into any sports bar and ask a die-hard football or baseball fan who has NEVER watched figure skating outside of the Olympics (and then only under duress) to name "a famous American figure skater", I would bet Fleming, Hamel and Kwan's name would be the top 3.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    ... That can't be debated on a figure skating board where we are all so knowledgeable about skaters. Go into any sports bar and ask a die-hard football or baseball fan who has NEVER watched figure skating outside of the Olympics (and then only under duress) to name "a famous American figure skater", I would bet Fleming, Hamel and Kwan's name would be the top 3.
    I hope that you are correct -- and it would be Fleming, Hamill and Kwan. I always figured it would be Kerrigan and Harding (the third name would be up for grabs).

These interviews with reporters who don't regularly cover figure skating are always interesting. This guy says about the CoP,

"Her presence in Turin won't depend on how she adapts to the new scoring system, which plays to her strengths,..."

Well, I hope he turns out to be right.

One thing that always comes through -- Michelle must have some kind of charm in person. Every article you read about her is like this one.

About Kristi's status, I think it depends on the age of the respondent, whether she has the same name recognition as Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Fleming. To the generation of people who grew up after the 1970s, I bet she is right up there.

Mathman

We have to remember too that Kristi's reign as the Oly champ was short lived, only two years compared to four. What she has done for figure skating since her 1992 win has been admirable to say the least........42