Best Songs for AI Final Six | Golden Skate

Best Songs for AI Final Six

A lot of people are thinking it's going to come down to Bo and Carrie or Bo and Vonzelle. I do really like Bo, but for another project I've been listening to my favorite singers from the '60s through the '90s, and it's made me realize that not one Idol has performed a song this season that has really moved me. With all the vocal talent out there, that's BAD!

For one thing, I think this group has been so hyped as "the best group we've ever had" yadda yadda, that no one has really pushed him/herself to go to places no Idol contestant has ever gone before. Also, I think the lack of guest vocal coaches/judges is really showing. Nobody like Elton John or Barry Manilow (I hate to say it, but he was great in terms of bringing the best out of the Idols--even if he was there just to hype his latest album release, LOL. Hey, why not? I'm hoping that now that it's down to six, AI will release the purse strings and get some hall of fame level talent in there to light a fire under the Idols. Randy's "Eeyeah, dawg!"; Paula's tipsy, "Shtanding ovashun! I'm sho proud a' you, Anthony!" as Carrie is standing there; and Simon's overused metaphors, though generally true, just aren't cutting it anymore.

Now I think Bo is, so far, the one to beat. But still, his singing has never made me do an internal horizontal triple Axel flip in my seat without moving--much (experienced ladies, you know what I'm talking about). So I'm proposing three or four songs for the remaining six contestants that I think would not only challenge them vocally but would also get them to get down emotionally. Then I'm hoping other folks will propose several songs they think would bring the best out of each singer, whether you like him/her or not, that would take that singer to the top, if performed with full vocal and emotional transcendance. No significance to the order.

1. Bo: Now if Bo can sing "Born to Be Wild," "Whole Lotta Love," or "Gimme Shelter" (just as examples) and do to me what John Kay, Robert Palmer, and Mick Jagger did, respectively, to me with their voices that my best boyfriends did to me not with their voices, then I say we've got a real competition. Of course I'd love to hear suggestions from others about what songs Bo should sing. The point is not to sound like Kay, Plant, or Jagger, but rather to, in his own Bo way, do to the listener, what those guys could do.

2. Constantine: People often compare Connie and Bo, but I think they're SO different. Bo can both rock the rafters and do ballads in the key of real, whereas Connie has made the crooner mode is niche. I like Con the Crooner, but I'd like to hear him spread it out of his comfort zone, ie, Roy Orbison's "Crying"; Mick Jagger's "Ruby Tuesday"; Eric Clapton's "Heaven" and just to mix it up, his "Spoonful" too; and finally, John Lennon's "Across the Universe" in the style of Fiona Apple.

3. Vonzelle: Okay, as long as she's not just standing there looking Bambi-eyed or saying something dumber than Paula, I've gotten to like her. And her singing has improved the most each week, bar none. But the girl has got to get down. I'm thinking "Private Dancer" Tina Turner; "Midnight Train to Georgia" Gladys Knight; and "Respect" Aretha.

4. Anthony: He's another one who has to sing more from his groin. I don't mean "shove it in your face/ Jim Morrison" kind of stuff. Just something with more, "Baby, I've got to make you have my baby or I'm gonna die!" primitive urges. I'm thinking Leonard Cohen "Suzanne"; David Byrne/Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer": and, now don't take this the wrong way, but Janis Joplin's version of "Me and Bobby McGhee," which was written by Kris Kristofferson. Anthony might find something that gets him going in Lou Reeds early work, like good ol' "Rock 'n Roll."

5. Carrie: A killer vocal coach has got to take these next six weeks, reach down this girl's throat, mess up all her insides, freak-out her head, and leave her in a state in which she still has all her great vocal gifts but no choice other than to sing whatever she sings from the deep, held-in emotions I know this good farm girl has. I'd start her off with something easy, like Carole King's "Natural Woman" (I know--WAAAAAAAYYY overdone, but she needs to do it); then kick it up a notch to Sinead O'Connor's version of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U"; try to outdo Vonzelle with "Respect"; and challenge the heck out of herself with Kurt Cobain's "Rape Me." For those of you who have never heard "Rape Me," it does take some rumination, but it's not what you would expect from the title. And if Carrie doesn't do her homework on the emotions, she'll fall flat on that gorgeous face on every level. But if she nails it, everyone watching and listening around the world will be in a state of shock for a good 15 to 20 minutes afterwards.

6. Scott. Bwa-ha-ha! What songs could we pick to make Scott win? Tenorguy, help me out here. From what I've heard, Scott is best when he's singing about something that really connects to a painful personal experience, no matter how icky the song. I have a feeling Scott can relate big time to "Easy to be Hard" from "Hair"; "Chain of Fools"; and Kurt Cobain's "All Apologies," to name just three.

Now I realize there are six weeks left and mostly I only gave each contestant just three songs. First of all, it's Sunday and I'm only going to spend so much time on this. :party: Secondly, I'd love to hear suggestions from other folks re what songs the top six need in order to (a) s-t-r-e-t-c-h their humanistic and vocal range, and (b) be that person's defining song of the season the way "Natural Woman" was for Kelly; (Toni, I leave it to you to name Clay's defining song--I think it was an Elton John one, but I could be wrong) was for Clay; whatever it was for Ruben, if he had one; and the way "Summertime" was for Fantasia.

So start thinking about the song that each of the remaining six could sing that would, if you're not particularly a fan of that AI'er, turn you around and say, "Good golly Miss Molly!!! I had this person all wrong!!!" Or, if you're already a big fan of that singer, a song--done right--that would cause strange and wonderful things happen in your nether regions when you hear him/her sing it, ie, the stuff they didn't teach the girls in fifth grade PE nor did the coaches allude to with the boys around seventh grade except with grunts and "Uh, you know. And if you don't, ask your dads or preferably and older brother."

Okay, the posting lines are open! I'd love to see a lot of "sing offs," that is, two singers of similar styles squaring off with the same song--to the death! This can go on for as long as we want--or until this AI season ends, whichever comes first.

Come on, guys. I know you can come up with far better songs than I could, not to mention some totally bytchin' ones. ;)

Rgirl

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
If this isn't the best homework assignment I've ever received! I'll have to give this some thought and get back to you RGirl. For now I'm pouting that I never got to hear Anwar sing "Let's Get It On". That and no Motown Night ......we wuz robbed BIG TIME!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Rgirl, good topic........I don't have song choices yet, but I have to say that I think the top three will be Con, Bo, and Carrie........I love Vonzelle, but I have this feeling. Any one of the four mentioned above winning will be aces with me. As much as I love Con, I think his strength has to be musical stage, he just doesn't sing the song, he performs it. Something from a performed musical would be his strength, maybe "West Side Story"....

Carrie on the other hand, sings beautifully, but doesn't emote much. This could be a drawback for her. I don't think at this point, that she's capable of much more, expression wise, then we're getting. She should stick to "Country Western", were emoting comes from the lyrics of the song and not the facial expressions.

Bo, I love this guy, but his strength is "hard rock"......he needs to find a song that suits his range of notes, maybe something from Hendrix or Morrison.

Vonzelle, I think is the long shot here, but her fanship seems to be rising. She needs to keep picking upbeat songs and stay away from the ballads. Maybe something from Tina Turner would be a good fit...................42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hm....now I have to disagree here; I think Constantine will be in the running for the finish line. The disco night may not have been his best, but he has the most stage presence of all the performers. Bo is a rocker, but I can't see him in the American Idol image somehow.

Carrie - will have to get some better material and Vonzelle will have to learn how to tone it down a bit. Sing more from within and forget the Whitney Houston routine.

Scott - well I am assuming he will be long gone by then - at least I hope.

Anthony - I think he is the "dark horse" here. If he keeps singing in a realaxed manner, then I think he may make it to the finish line.

But then it is hard to say. It is how America votes, right?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Bo - "Wonderful Tonight" Clapton, "Sunshine of Your Love" Cream, "Cryin", "What it Takes" Aerosmith, "Maybe Baby" Holly, "Whiter Shade of Pale", "Stagger Lee", "Honky Tonk Woman"

Constantine - "Since I Fell For You", "SummertimeBlues", "Brown Eyed Girl", "House of the Rising Sun", "Good Golly Miss Molly/Devil with the Blue Dress"

Scott - "Bring It On Home to Me", "Who's Loving You Now", "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted", "Walk Away Renee"

Carrie - "And I Thank You", "Long, Long Time", "Love Has No Pride", "Crazy", "Satisfaction"

Vonzell - "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man", "Sweet Inspiration", "River Deep, Mountain High",
Anthony - "Girl, You'll be A Woman Soon", "Cara Mia", "This Magic Moment"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
this week's theme is rumored to be songs from the "2000's"

if that's the case this week I want Carrie to sing either "How Far" or "God's Will" by Martina McBride

For Bo I'm thinking "Gone" by Montgomer Gentry or "Save a Horse (Ride A Cowboy)" by Big & Rich... yes I realize he's a rocker, but we have some rockin' duos in country these days! :rock:

brad640

On the Ice
Bo I could see Bo singing something by Bush, and Piel I love your suggestion of Aerosmith for Bo. There has only been one song that has moved me this season and that was “Whipping Post” by the Allman Brothers which Bo sang in the preliminary round. Carrie came close with “Alone” but her lack of expression killed it. If I had listened and not looked it would have been better.

-----------Huge gap(even bigger now that Nadia and Anwar are gone)----------------

Constantine Maybe something by the Monkees. He is great at finding the subversive themes in seemingly benign pop songs.

Vonzelle “Independent Women” by Destiny’s Child. It may be risky to do Beyonce, but she has already performed okay with Whitney Houston.

Carrie Rgirl, your post about Carrie made me :rofl: . It is great advice for her. I think she should do something by the Dixie Chicks.

-----------Another gap(big drop in quality of vocals)----------

Anthony What would Anthony look like with some of Constantine’s eyeliner and some black hair dye? I think a lot like Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day. Maybe Anthony could sing Boulevard of Broken Dreams and out-rock the rockers, or at least Constantine. Then again that could be “hideous.”

Scott I would love to see Scott sing “Endless Night” from the Lion King. It begins with sadness and lonliness and resolves into father-son reconciliation and redemption (“The sun will rise/the son will rise”). I think Scott could do great things with the emotion of the song, and it is geared toward AI with the soloist with choir arrangement, and it would be a nice ending to his AI story which began with his audition comments about his father's lack of support for his singing.

Oh, goody! Those are some of the best song ideas for these Idols ever!

Now don't everybody get mad at Piel, but she ruined the curve for everyone else on this assignment. I mean, "Whiter Shade of Pale" for Bo and "House of the Rising Sun" for Con--to cite just two--absolutely inspired, brilliant. I'm not worthy! (We need a bowing emoticon.)

Other Piel standouts:
Scott: "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"
Carrie: I was trying to stay away from country, but I was listening to Patsy Cline today and was thinking about "Crazy," "This is Carrie's Everest." But, oh, man, would I ever love to hear Carrie go to town with "Satisfaction."
Vonzell: I was afraid to suggest "River Deep, Mountain High" for Vonzell, but dammit, this is all pretend so why not?! A fearless choice.
Anthony: Although I loved "This Magic Moment," I must say I was especially smitten with Brad's "Green Day" transformation for Anthony and now I'm in love with the idea of him singing "Longview."

Brad--
Bush for Bo, YES!!! :rock: And you're right about "Whipping Post." I didn't hook into it at the time, but yup, that was probably the highlight of the season.
Con: At first I laughed at your comment about Connie and the Monkees, but then I realized, "He's right." I forget the band, but I heard a killer punk version of "I'm Not a Rolling Stone" in the '80s, as well as some other surprisingly good renditions of songs done by the Pre-Fab Four, many of which were written by no small fry such as Neil Diamond. And I didn't know until just recently that Bob Rafelson--the BR of "Five Easy Pieces" and "Kind of Marvin Gardens"--was the major force behind the idea of the Monkees. Of course Rafelson and Jack Nicholson also were in on the Monkees' hideous movie "Head," LOL. But if you want to see an interesting comeback, rent "Mountains of the Moon," a movie you'd never believe is as cool as it is that Rafelson directed in '83. Sorry about the direction.
Scott: How ironic that you suggest "Endless Night" for all the father/son reasons when Scott tanked tonight singing Luther Vandross's "Dance With My Father." This should have brought out all of songs best qualities. I mean, emotionally, it was really flat. Maybe Scott is more PO'd at his dad than he realizes...hmm....
Anthony: BTW, I thought his rendition of Celine Dion's "I Surrender" was his best performance by far. Don't think I've ever heard a guy Idol try Celine and when the women try it, it's like Celine's Las Vegas Egyptian-style wedding.

And Toni! You are the only one who virtually nailed it! Carrie did indeed sing Martina McBride, "When God Fearin' Women Get the Blues." Not "How Far" or "God's Will," but really, really close. An "A" just for that!

Show, I'm with you on the top three, though I have this feeling that Vonzell will edge out Carrie unless Carrie pulls something I can't say out of her something I can't say. Seriously, Vonzell got a huge ovation for "I Turn to You," and vocally it was a tough song too. I really didn't like her at first and I do like her better now, but I still don't like her. I think it's what Lad said, the weekly Whitney imitations. Would love to hear Bo do "Light My Fire" or "Unknown Soldier"--so many greats to choose from. And now Bo could do "River Deep, Mountain High," complete with the lyric, "When I was I little girl, I had a rag doll/ the only doll I ever had." Or how about "Private Dancer"? Hubba hubba. Go for it, Bo!

Lad, if Anthony keeps singing like he did tonight, I think you may be right about him being a dark horse. He might not win, but I can see him as second or third. If he's good enough for Heather Locklear's daughter... Makes you wonder if having Richie Sambora for a dad has grossed her out for life on heavy metal rockers, lol.

BTW, I found an interesting AI criticism BLOG:
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/26/230159.php

Also, Piel didn't screw up the curve that much. Piel got a 99 and everybody else got a 98!:agree:

Rgirl

Last edited: