Home Shopping Networks | Golden Skate

Home Shopping Networks

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just wondered if anyone on GS has purchased things from either QVC, HSN or other shopping networks? I had thought about it but I haven't yet. Any opinions either way?

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I know my sister has bought a lot from all of them. Never heard she had a problem but a lot of people have told me that when they buy jewelry, it's always much smaller than they anticipated.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Granny, it seems like they really have some bargains but then I'm not sure so I asked for feedback or opinions. I trust what people here have to say.

Dee

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
I just wondered if anyone on GS has purchased things from either QVC, HSN or other shopping networks? I had thought about it but I haven't yet. Any opinions either way?

Dee

Dee, my mother has purchased several Hummels from QVC and never had a problem. She was very happy with the service, shipping, etc.

SingAlto

On the Ice
My sister buys from QVC quite regulary, and I buy something from them now and then. I've never returned a thing-- in fact, I love the quality of the jewelry they sell. I recently bought a beautiful pink sapphire ring, and I just love it. I get a lot of compliments on it too. :)

Lucy25

Final Flight
I have bought several things from QVC and never have had any problems with them. I bought my Mini-DVR recorder two years ago and it's been great. One of my last purchases was a gorgeous wool sweater coat during a spot on Irish goods. My mother does not get around as well these days and does most of her gift shopping via QVC.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My sister shops a lot on many of the shopping channels, so I sent her an email asking what she thought of the various shopping channels. Here's what she wrote back:

"QVC is good for apparel, particularly casual clothing, shoes, handbags. Their jewelry is OK, but they don't always have the best deals. Their CZ jewelry is dynamite, though. Their automated 800 number is the best of all the shopping networks--it takes less than a minute to order an item on the phone using the automated system. Their website has been improved a great deal in the last year, but it still has its drawbacks, for instance not giving the complete garment measurements for the clothing.

HSN has the best sales, particularly for clothing. Their casual clothing line isn't nearly as good as QVC's, and some of their "designer" clothing (Diane Gilman, for example) is too garish. But they do have some really good designers (Diane von Furstenberg, Randolph Duke, David Emanuelle) and when their clothing is at sale prices, it really is a bargain. Sometimes their jewelry is good, but on the whole I have been disappointed with HSN's jewelry more often than with QVC's. HSN does have a line of jewelry that is silver permanently electroplated with gold or platinum that is very inexpensive yet very genuine-looking. Their automated ordering line is very annoying, though. It can take as long as 4 minutes to place an order. But HSN also has the best website and placing orders on their online system is the easiest of all the shopping channels.

ShopNBC sells mostly luxury goods, and the prices can be astronomic. However, from time to time you can get very good deals on jewelry, but stay away from most of the clothing lines as they are overpriced. When their leather garments are on sale, they may seem to be a bargain, but be aware that they run small. ShopNBC's automated system is the worst, so I avoid it altogether and order online. Their website isn't as good as HSN's, but it is slightly better than QVC's.

All of the shopping channels are good about returns. I've never had a problem, and I am not shy about returning things if they aren't what I expected."

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Chuckm and everyone else, thanks so much for the input. You have made my fear or skepticism dwindle. I probably have watched HSN more than QVC and what I saw on HSN that I was tempted to get was a cell phone. Their sell on it was tremendous. If I understood it correctly you buy the cell phone and then buy the amount of minutes you think you would use. If anyone knows what I’m talking about please fill me in. That has always been a big drawback for me was I would probably never use it except in dire emergencies, which I do find them a necessity for those reasons. I guess I didn’t want to shell out $40 every month for something I wouldn’t use. I also see them being necessary for a job. Anyhow, I didn’t purchase the cell phone because at the time I was still skeptical about purchasing from them. The reason I wanted to get one now is that with my mom being sick, I would want to be on call 24/7. I find it a necessity now.

I have seen other bargains I think on HSN. They had a JVC dvd/vcr player for $129. For JVC, I think that is a bargain, maybe not.