"Patrick who?!!" | Golden Skate

"Patrick who?!!"

TNT2012

Rinkside
That was my first reaction upon hearing about this young Canadian skater named Patrick Chan who won the 2005 Canadian Jrs. Championships. Admittedly, I really don't know much about any of the senior Canadian skaters let alone someone still in the junior division. But several comments I heard describing Chan's skating really piqued my interest, and I just had to download his LP at the Jr. Canadian Championships to see for myself.

Even with three falls in his LP, I was totally impressed by Patrick Chan's skating. Although he still needs to improve the consistency of his toe-pick jumps, his basic skating skills and artistry is simply amazing! And at only 14 years of age! From what I saw during that performance, he had wonderful edging and a really fluid, polished look to his skating, something that I have never seen on any of the other Junior skaters that I have seen.

Something tells me that the name Patrick Chan will be a familiar one to those who are interested in figure skating, particularly as we head into the 2010 Winter Games. It is certainly way too early to predict anything that far away, but that is just my gut feeling.

I would certainly be interested in hearing other members' opinions about Patrick Chan, particularly our Canadian members who have be familiar with his skating history and development.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
TNT2012 said:
That was my first reaction upon hearing about this young Canadian skater named Patrick Chan who won the 2005 Canadian Jrs. Championships. Admittedly, I really don't know much about any of the senior Canadian skaters let alone someone still in the junior division. But several comments I heard describing Chan's skating really piqued my interest, and I just had to download his LP at the Jr. Canadian Championships to see for myself.

Even with three falls in his LP, I was totally impressed by Patrick Chan's skating. Although he still needs to improve the consistency of his toe-pick jumps, his basic skating skills and artistry is simply amazing! And at only 14 years of age! From what I saw during that performance, he had wonderful edging and a really fluid, polished look to his skating, something that I have never seen on any of the other Junior skaters that I have seen.

Something tells me that the name Patrick Chan will be a familiar one to those who are interested in figure skating, particularly as we head into the 2010 Winter Games. It is certainly way too early to predict anything that far away, but that is just my gut feeling.

I would certainly be interested in hearing other members' opinions about Patrick Chan, particularly our Canadian members who have be familiar with his skating history and development.

Yes, I have heard of this young skater; He is coached by one of our oldest and distinguished coaches - Osborne Colson.

Here are some sites about him:

http://www.asian-athlete.com/AthleteDisplayForm.aspx?ID=668
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2005/04/03/981128-sun.html

cygnus

Rinkside
I saw Patrick Chan at Minto summer skate last year in Ottawa- and he was amazing. He did the FP from Nationals cleanly, and it was a great performance. I was expecting him to do well at nationals after that, and his performance there with its falls was a bit of a disappointment after seeing it done well 5 months earlier- but he still deserved his win. I too see lots of potential in this kid- a real smoothness and power to his skating at such a young age (he was the youngest mens competitor at nationals). I hope he stays injury free- he really is going to do well in the future! I do wish more people had seen his Minto performance, though.

I suppose he is staying junior next year? He'd be too young for senior events anyways?

brad640

On the Ice
Another Chan Fan here. He reminds me of NNN because he is such a precocious performer with great musicality and carriage, and his programs seem complete even without difficult jumps. He was much better at junior worlds than he was at nationals. He should remain at juniors for another 2 years to work on a 3a and a 3a3t. Right now he is a level below the top junior men like Oda, Uspenski and Dobrin, but they may move on to seniors after the Olympics, and that would be a good opportunity for Chan to get a couple of junior medals.

euterpe

Medalist
Chan had some great moments at Jr. Worlds this year. He was 2nd in his QR, faltered in the SP, finishing 11th, but rallied to finish 6th in the FS, placing 7th overall, quite good for his first attempt. Like many junior skaters, Chan isn't very consistent, but that will improve over time.

TNT2012

Rinkside
Thank you for your comments. And thank you Ladskater, for the links you provided. Hopefully, Patrick Chan will continue to improve with his skating and consistency the next few years. I still have this "gut feeling" that he will be a force to reckon with for 2010 Olympics. And hopefully, his coach will have the pleasure to see his pupil compete for Canada in Vancouver.