Kwan at the Crossroads and Choices | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Kwan at the Crossroads and Choices

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks Joe. I didn't think it would have anything to do with the outcome ... was just curious cause I didn't remember hearing that anywhere.

OwenEvans said:
"...as the GOAT"....

This is a really unfortunate acronym.....can't MK be referred to as the "best", instead of the "greatest"?....I mean, I would prefer to think of her even as a BOAT rather than a GOAT when it comes down to it.... :)
:laugh: But then what if she is the Best Lady Of All Time...?

Lucy25

Final Flight
mzheng said:
ETA, I had posted in another thread that besides the chasing the records (#9) at 2005 Naitonals there was other reason that made her so nervous and pressured at 2005 Nationals. Now this state of art new rink finally official opened because she secured the deal with East West Bank with her National winning.
Well, that's interesting. I can not even imagine that kind of pressure! So, if she had not won, maybe the whole deal with East West Bank would not have happened and perhaps the Kwans would have lost a sponsor for the rink? Yikes!

At the beginning of May there was a post on MKF reporting that Michelle had just been seen interviewed on TV at a college volleyball game where she was supporting a friend. She told the reporter that she was taking a few weeks off and then resuming training. There was no mention of a lengthy vacation. Then, a poster on FSU posted that secret sources sighted Michelle at Simsbury. This was a couple of weeks ago. No other information was offered. Now all this new information is coming out. I don't know if I believe the TT rumors, but it sure makes for interesting off season speculation!

This is the link for the MK interview on TV:
http://p216.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanforummkfanchat.showMessage?topicID=24631.topic

heyang

Record Breaker
If MK is having TT choreograph her LP, I predict she's gunning for Oly's. TT is one of the best choreographers under COP; she squeezes out every possible point. Just compare Sasha' swan with TT vs Robin Wagner.

I hope that MK sticks to or adds difficulty as the season progresses. As I mentioned on a previous thread, I think part of the problem with Bolero is that she didn't compete with a consistent version. The 4 times I saw it (early cheesefest, Nationals, World's and Marshall's) were all different from each other. Muscle memory can go a long way in getting over some of the nerves.

I remember that this was one of Nancy Kerrigan's problems. She would stop mid-routine when she failed on element - she didn't practice pushing herself to continue. She fixed this for 1994 and gave 2 beautiful relatively unflawed programs at Oly's.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I for one as a Kwan fan hopes it's true. TT is a genius when it comes to Code of Points.

heyang said:
If MK is having TT choreograph her LP, I predict she's gunning for Oly's. TT is one of the best choreographers under COP; she squeezes out every possible point. Just compare Sasha' swan with TT vs Robin Wagner.

I really don't know why Wagner is put down for Sasha's Swan Lake which was skated beautifully in Dortmund for the Quali Round. Wagner only changed the opening moves other wise the choreography was pure TT.

Joe

2ndmark

Rinkside
Perhaps the ISU will adopt some kind of policy to keep skaters from becoming complacent and manipulating the COP by repeating moves they know will score well.

The FIG (International Gymnastics Federation) changes or modifies its "code of points" after each Olympic games (or perhaps after each World's- can't recall) to keep the momentum always moving forward.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
I really don't know why Wagner is put down for Sasha's Swan Lake which was skated beautifully in Dortmund for the Quali Round. Wagner only changed the opening moves other wise the choreography was pure TT.

Joe

Wagner's Swan Lake was completely different from any of TT's versions. Nearly all of the complex choreography was stripped out. The jumps were all up front, and most of the spins were at the end. The result was a bare-bones program. Sasha apparently skated it well in the QR, but she was lifeless in the FS and the program was a dud.

curious

Final Flight
chuckm said:
Wagner's Swan Lake was completely different from any of TT's versions. Nearly all of the complex choreography was stripped out. The jumps were all up front, and most of the spins were at the end. The result was a bare-bones program. Sasha apparently skated it well in the QR, but she was lifeless in the FS and the program was a dud.

I'm sure Mitchell( Kween of empty programs) is going to Respect mami tarasova's coreo lol!:biggrin:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
curious said:
I'm sure Mitchell( Kween of empty programs) is going to Respect mami tarasova's coreo lol!:biggrin:

First, I think that the issue of choreography is somewhat overrated -- as Kwan and Arakawa proved in Moscow, the best (or worst) choreograhy is no replacements for failing to land the jumps or do the planned elements. Second, I think Kwan will respect the choreography. She seems to learn from mistakes -- the first thing she did upon returning to competition after SLC was get a coach (not repeating that mistake); and IIRC, at her pre-QR practice in Moscow, she did not repeat her mistake at Dortmund of not practicing her jumps -- that she made a lot of new mistakes in her QR doesn't mean she repeated the old ones.

Last edited: