Anyone Here See Jeff B Skate Live | Golden Skate

Anyone Here See Jeff B Skate Live

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just rewatched his Canadian Nationals performance for the billionth time! I would love to see Jeff skate live. He is absolutely amazing. Such fluidity to his skating and he uses every beat of music (much like Kurt). I hear he is touring with Stars on Ice, so maybe the show will come to Vancouver. Sure would love to see him.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, at the 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC. I wish Jeff was in the US SOI tour, but I realize that's not feasible right now. I am very glad he currently has the opportunity to skate in this season's Canadian SOI tour. Some day I hope he does get to tour in the US version as well :agree: !

I also wish we got coverage of Canadian Nationals in the US. We don't live anywhere near the US/Canadian border. :cry:

Last edited:

MannyisHOT

Rinkside
I saw him live at Nationals this year.... I saw the qualifying round.... i was mad because i was supposed to see hi LP but i got snowed in to my house so i couldnt... :frown:

FrenchLady

Rinkside
Ladskater said:
I just rewatched his Canadian Nationals performance for the billionth time! I would love to see Jeff skate live. He is absolutely amazing. Such fluidity to his skating and he uses every beat of music (much like Kurt). I hear he is touring with Stars on Ice, so maybe the show will come to Vancouver. Sure would love to see him.

CSOI is hitting Vancouver TONIGHT (May 1st) and the tour is ending in Victoria BC tomorrow night I think. I saw Jeff live in the tour this year and yes, he is absolutely amazing!!! His skating skills, his musicality, his sophisticate choreography... We see those qualities on television, but there are even more evident live!

If you have the chance, go see the show!!! And by the way, the show is wonderful, with all the talented skaters in the cast!

Edited to correct: The show in Victoria is on May 3th. Sorry for the mistake. ;)

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I saw him at this year's Nationals, and last year's Four Continents. He is a joy to watch. He's always got such great choreagraphy and spins.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I've seen Jeff twice...Worlds 2003 and SC 2004. I, uh, saw him getting ill at GPF 2004, but I won't count that. :p

At Worlds 2003, he displayed a certain charm on the ice, which was nice. He skated fairly well.

SC 2004 is different. Liked the short program, but his long program was awful. When he isn't "on," he can't sell the program. (and, yes, other skaters can) If Ryan Jahnke had been scored correctly in the SP, Jeff would've been nowhere near that podium.

brad640

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
SC 2004 is different. Liked the short program, but his long program was awful. When he isn't "on," he can't sell the program. (and, yes, other skaters can) If Ryan Jahnke had been scored correctly in the SP, Jeff would've been nowhere near that podium.

I think Jeff is going to have a tough Olympic season. He will be feeling the negativity over his silver that many think was a fluke, undeserved, or a lucky shot to capitalize on others' mistakes rather than a true reward of the merits of his skating. I agree with your statement that when he is not on, he does not have something to fall back on as some of his competitors do. In his SP at worlds, he landed the jumps, but he did not have the magic of the LP, and he got lower PCS than Joubert, Plushenko and Lambiel.

I felt that his silver was deserved, but I think it will be difficult for him to top his LP choreography from this season. I thought Naqoyqatsi was one of the best LP's I have ever seen, and I enjoyed every performance of it this season, even with his wild inconsistency with his jumps. David Wilson did a masterful job of cutting the music and creating original moves for that program, and I wonder if lightning will strike twice for another program of the same caliber for next year.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I saw him live at this season SOI and oh dear does he stands out. I gotta say seeing him live is even more better than on tv. He hynotize you and IMO add "points" to that 2nd mark. :biggrin:

I really don't know what it is about him but I guess it is something to do with feelings...not angst as most have mentioned before. He did a fun and definitely not angst Corey Hart's number and still skated with feelings.

He is very rare.

Edited to add: I hope Dean liked what he saw in Jeff because he is certainly a great candidate for SOI. i.e. - he is versatile, bold, and a great performer. Most of all, he is able to master complex and difficult choreography. Certainly a choreographer's best friend. I think he will do very well in SOI and beyond. I am just thinking of what he can accomplish beyond the grand prix,worlds and olympics.

Last edited:

reenb

Rinkside
I was lucky enough to see Jeff with SOI Friday night in Calgary. He was the highlight of the show for me. His musicality is amazing! :rock: :rock:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I saw CSOI in Hamilton and London last weekend and I was very impressed with Jeff's skating and how well he fit into that cast after such a short time with them. His stroking is so effortless and I LOVED both his programs. I've liked him and his skating for a few years now but this was the first time I'd seen him skate live and he did not disappoint me at all. I look foward to seeing his new programs next season. :agree:

Silver Lining

Rinkside
I just saw him tonight in Stars on Ice in Vancouver. I think I'd have to say 'Sunglasses at Night' was my favourite number of the show. There's just something magical about him.

ikfan

Rinkside
Jeff

I have seen him skate in the Elvis tour, 2004 Skate Canada, and CSOI in halifax a few weeks ago. I think what makes him magical is his evident joy of being on the ice. His smile is a mile wide.

Bulldog

Spectator
When I watched his exhibition number, "Ave Maria",on TV I was disappointed and found it a touch boring, compared to his regular competitive programs. Seeing it live at Stars on Ice made all the difference: there it was breathtaking. Television can never capture a skater's speed and fluidity properly. Can't wait till IMAX-3D discovers figure skating.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
I've seen Jeff twice...Worlds 2003 and SC 2004. I, uh, saw him getting ill at GPF 2004, but I won't count that. :p

At Worlds 2003, he displayed a certain charm on the ice, which was nice. He skated fairly well.

Wow! Harsh words. Anyway, all skaters struggle through a program from time to time. They are only human and no skater can "sell a program" when they are having a bad day. Sorry, I have been a skater myself for too long to know that. Even Ryan Janhke has delivered a poor program when he is off his game.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Wow! Harsh words. Anyway, all skaters struggle through a program from time to time. They are only human and no skater can "sell a program" when they are having a bad day. Sorry, I have been a skater myself for too long to know that. Even Ryan Janhke has delivered a poor program when he is off his game.

I am actually NOT a fan of Ryan Jahnke, but he was totally robbed in the SP. And no, he isn't one who can make a program work on a bad day, either. Who can? Johnny Weir, Plushenko, Yagudin, Klimkin, Van Der Perren, the Murve....even when their jumps are off, the programs still work.

Not sure what was so harsh about what I said? I mostly complimented Jeff.

bleuchick

On the Ice
Ladskater said:
Oh darn, I missed it!! I am sick anyway, so would not have made it. I hope someday to see Jeff skate live. Would be awesome.

Sorry to hear that you were sick but you don't wanna miss Jeffrey baby!

Like the majority of writers on this thread...he is a LIVE man.

Anyways, there is always next time.

bleuchick

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
I am actually NOT a fan of Ryan Jahnke, but he was totally robbed in the SP. And no, he isn't one who can make a program work on a bad day, either. Who can? Johnny Weir, Plushenko, Yagudin, Klimkin, Van Der Perren, the Murve....even when their jumps are off, the programs still work.

Not sure what was so harsh about what I said? I mostly complimented Jeff.

I don't think you were harsh at all but I get the feeling that this is one of those situations where "what works for one does not work for another". You say the program does not work if his jumps are off and someone else will say the opposite. I agree that his jumps are a problem and do take away from his performance but guess what...so do the judges! If you look at the protocols, the judges have penalized Jeff for falling. If I remember correctly, he lost 4 points for falling twice at the worlds! That is a large number of points to loose in COP. So, he is not walking away scratch-free competition after competition.

On the other hand, I see where Ladskater and others come in and say even if Jeffrey falls, the program still works. Why? because his programs are jammed packed with points to make up for his falls. He knows his strength and steps on ice ready and just as competitive as those skaters with the jumps.

To be honest, I prefer his SP as well but find his LP worthy of all those 9.00s that the judges gave him at the worlds. It is one thing to skate on your typical skating music and another to construct a complex program using some very unconventional and non-skating music and score really well! If it was that easy then we should be seeing alot more of these type of programs today.

Now if only other skaters could rise up and do something challenging AND land those quads and triples then we can talk.

Last edited: