Mao Asada, beautiful BC stretch & hands | Golden Skate

Mao Asada, beautiful BC stretch & hands

R

rgirl181

Re: Mao Asada, beautiful BC stretch & hands

Cute as a bug and looks like a great talent! Off the point, but isn't that the same costume Midori Ito wore a few years back when the Japanese federation pressured her into returning to Worlds? The blue color and the daisies are what look so familiar. Not a problem--Asada looks great in it (actually I think it's more age appropriate for her than it was for Midori)--just curious.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

Re: Mao Asada, beautiful BC stretch & hands

What a cutey. Japan seems set to be a force in ladies figure skating for many years to come.

Mathman

E

eltamina

Ito and Asada

OMG, that is an Ito costume. Painful reminder of how thin Midori was in 96. Mao is 13?, and tiny, and Midori was the same size?

Mao is coached by Yamada. Mao is too young for 06, hope to see her in 10.

Hate to bring up the article with the "A" word. There is an online blurp about Midori and A*****ia, scroll down.

www.t3.rim.or.jp/~sports/...tl-fs.html

M

mathman444

Re: Ito and Asada

I didn't know that Ito suffered from anorexia. How terrible. Is she doing OK now?

MM

A

AY2006

It's the same costume, but they are not the same size. Midori is about two inches taller, and she is not as thin as Mao. I've heard they adjusted the costume size for Mao.

S

sk8ing lady2001

I will just say...<strong>wow</strong> at that picture. :D

L

lilicedancer

I really like the look of Yukina Ota. Nice posture, nice poise.

R

rgirl181

Mathman,
According to the link Eltamina provided (thanks, EM), Midori is skating again professionally. But it was just a blurb and didn't go into specifics other than to say Ito had been hospitalized several times in the last few years for anorexia. When she was pressured back into eligible skating was when I first noticed Midori had gotten too thin, but the Japanese Federation said she was anemic and that's why she was thin. She probably was anemic, but most likely from not eating. As you might imagine, I know/have known a number of dancers with anorexia and it is a horrific disorder, very, very difficult to treat. For everyone I know who has it, it is a chronic problem--that is, even if they get back to a healthy weight, they always have to struggle with it. I don't know if this is true for all anorectics, however. I know a woman who has been up and down with AN for 25 years and even though she has had a child (a very scary pregnancy) and has been at a stable weight for about the last seven or eight years, she says she still has to fight the desire to lose weight. She describes it as a pressure in her mind that is always saying, "Lose, lose, lose!" meaning lose weight. I was so sad to hear that was Midori's problem, but not surprised. She's such a delightful person, from what I've seen, and has given so much to the sport. Very sad.
Rgirl

M

mathman444

It's OK for a little girl, no? I think all those daisies are cute.

MM

S

SteveKmetko374

thank you for the photos, I can't wait to see them skate.. someday..hopefully soon!

T

tharrtell

Someone needs to work on the figure skating channel, ASAP! I'd love to be able to see video of the newer/younger Japanese skaters - Mao, Miki Ando, etc.

C

Callystarr

How is she too young for 2006? if she is 13...she will be 16 won't she?

A

AY2006

Re: Asada

I think she is still 12... born sometime in Sept. 1990.

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: Asada

She's young yet. I can't wait to see Mao someday. :)