Project Belbin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Belbin

Lucy25

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
Looks like they are already at it...check out this article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2005/05/10/in_2012_anything_goes/

"...Looks as if Tanith Belbin could get her US citizenship in time for next year's Olympics after all. Though the Canadian-born ice dancer and partner Benjamin Agosto have conceded publicly that it wouldn't happen, Congress may well accelerate the process, which could mean the first American medal in the event since 1976..."

I posted this link and quoted this exact quote on the first page of this thread. ;)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
mzheng said:
I know one of my aunts had be treated through this previlege, she did some outstanding research on AIDS testing and held a patant at the time. But, IMO, TB's achievement is more than my aunt, (no offence aunt). :p
mzheng, are you sure it's the citizenship we are talking about here? I know a few of my friends got that exception, but it only pertained to getting the green card, not the actual citizenship.

Peggy

On the Ice
Yea! Tanith and Ben. I'm thrilled for them and for the USA. I hope they bring home the Gold. If they can compete for Nationals in the US then they should be allowed to compete for the US in the Olympics. I'm glad the government is working to make this happen.

Peggy

JOHIO2

Medalist
I think part of the problem with Tanith's citizenship comes from her age. While she was a minor, could she even get a green card? Does any of that time even count? I suppose it would have been different if her parents lived here and applied for citizenship while she was still a minor. Or am I completely off base? I know some people who became citizens as minors because their entire family was naturalized at the same time.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
brad640 said:
Tanith and Ben are not the only talented team that will be sitting at home next year. Wakamatsu/Fecteau and Savchenko/Szolkowy are also facing citizenship restrictions.

The difference between those teams compared to Tanith and Belbin is though that based on Worlds 2005 results Tanith and Ben could win a medal in Turin. It would be too awful if such skaters could not participate in Olympics. Especially as the delay in getting the citizenship is not Tanith´s fault.

brad640

On the Ice
Jaana said:
The difference between those teams compared to Tanith and Belbin is though that based on Worlds 2005 results Tanith and Ben could win a medal in Turin. It would be too awful if such skaters could not participate in Olympics. Especially as the delay in getting the citizenship is not Tanith´s fault.

It should not matter whether the team is in medal contention. If they are among the best in the world, they should be allowed to compete, and should not be subject to the citizenship bureaucracy of the particular nation they represent. Also, many people thought S/S SHOULD have been in contention for a medal this year, but were victims of Russian and Chinese federation politics.

Tanith was not the only person to be delayed by the post 9/11 shuffle, so why should she be elevated above all the rest?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
JOHIO2 said:
I think part of the problem with Tanith's citizenship comes from her age. While she was a minor, could she even get a green card? Does any of that time even count? I suppose it would have been different if her parents lived here and applied for citizenship while she was still a minor. Or am I completely off base? I know some people who became citizens as minors because their entire family was naturalized at the same time.
1. A minor can only apply for the citizenship with their parents or guardians.
2. However, as for residency requrements, the time a minor spends living in the US do count. I got my green card as a minor (with my whole family); however, by the time I was eligible for citizenship I was an adult; the time I was a "resident alien" as a minor did count for my citizenship requirement.

Antilles

Medalist
Jaana, W&F are facing citizenship issues because she is not seeking her Canadian citizenship. She does not want to relinquish her Japanese citizenship.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Antilles said:
Jaana, W&F are facing citizenship issues because she is not seeking her Canadian citizenship. She does not want to relinquish her Japanese citizenship.
Antilles, doesn't Canada recognize dual citizenship?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Canada does, but Japan told her she'd have to relinquish her Japanese citizenship if she became a Canadian citizen. She won't, which is understandable. He decided to stay with her, even if they can't compete in the Olympics. (Were he younger, with another Olympics in his future, he may have decided differently.)

cmego500

Rinkside
I actually think it would be a huge shocker if she didn't get her citizenship in time. The USFSA is desperate to have an olympic medal for dance and specially since it could possibly be silver or gold!

Now, i don't think the USFSA would ask for more citizenships for the 2 pair skaters that currently don't have it. The reason for it being is because in all honesty, those 2 pairs more than likely wouldn't even break the top 10. I would be even more surprised if the national champs had a top 10 showing at the olympics since the pairs field is so weak compared to the world.