2005-2006 USFS Team Envelopes | Golden Skate

2005-2006 USFS Team Envelopes

Sandra Jean Rucker - Group B; Bebe Liang - Group C. Why?

I guess some new dance teams have to prove themselves before they get an envelope.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Reserve

What's the reserve team and why are Loren Galler-Rabinowitz & David Mitchell all the way down there?
Linny

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Stupid question....

What's in the "Envelopes??" Money for training? I guess I've never followed this part of the off-season before.

DG

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Envelopes determine the levels of funding for skaters for the season; they do not necessarily correlate to specific international assignments. All U.S. Junior champions (Sandra Jean Rucker, Jeremy Abbott, Mariel Miller/Rockne Brubaker, Trina Pratt/Todd Gilles) automatically qualify for Team B.

There are specific envelope criteria for A, B, C and Reserve, and it is primarily based on international medals won and the most recent Nationals placements at the Novice/Junior/Senior levels. In the case of Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell, they were not able to compete at 2005 Nationals due to his injury. Bebe Liang is in C due to her 5th place finish at 2005 Nationals.

Joesitz said:
Sandra Jean Rucker - Group B; Bebe Liang - Group C. Why?
Very interesting. So, who has the edge, the B team with Hughes, Kirk, Meissner and Rucker, or the C team with Corwin, Liang, Nikodinov and Csizny?

About David Mitchell's injury, I think he had an operation on his shoulder in the off season. So they may not be ready early in the season.

Mathman

PS. Go, William Brewster!

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
I can understand Matthews/Zavozin and Pratt/Gilles being in the B envelope. M/Z are the JGPF and Junior World champions and P/G are the National Champions-Juniors. But what is the reason for Stiegler/Magerovski being in B?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
The skaters in Envelope A are the ones who just so happen to have toured with COI, aren't they? Why do they also get the most money?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
But what is the reason for Stiegler/Magerovski being in B?
One of last year's criteria for Team B was: "Places 2-4 in senior-level events at the U.S. Championships" and S/M were 4th at 2005 Nationals.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
attyfan said:
The skaters in Envelope A are the ones who just so happen to have toured with COI, aren't they? Why do they also get the most money?

Well, LOL, isn´t it often in this world, that those that already have, are being given more, hmmm...

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
attyfan said:
Because CoI and USFSA have the same criteria for selecting who's the best skater out there.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
Well, LOL, isn´t it often in this world, that those that already have, are being given more, hmmm...

Wouldn't you say these skaters have EARNED their spots? While we all might not agree on the criteria (and I certainly haven't read all the criteria) I don't know that any skater is simply GIVEN a COI deal, or USFSA funding without earning it.

DG

I don't think Jaana's point was about skating recognition. It was soley about the unfairness of underdogs getting less than stars in any sport or whatever in life.

As for seedings. I do think this is a reflexion of where the USFSA is at when it comes to Grand Prix Assignments.

I'm hoping for two assignments for Bebe and yes, based on her top 5 finish at US Nationals.

BTW I know it is a bit early for the USFSA to come out with the GP assignments (although the envelopes are a clue): What happens if neither Kwan nor Cohen decide not to participate or maybe just participate in one? Can the USFSA send replacements or does the ISU replace their possible vacancies.

Joe

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." (Matt 13:12).

IceDanceSk8er said:
Loren and David are ready for the season. David is completely healed.
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear it. :clap: And welcome to the forum! :)

Mathman

jesslily

Final Flight
Bebe should be in Team b, so do Loren and David. USFSA should pay attention to the skating quality, not just one competition's placement.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Bebe should be in Team b, so do Loren and David. USFSA should pay attention to the skating quality, not just one competition's placement.
But your competition placement is all the "objective" evidence you have.
The USFS website is incredibly hard to navigate, and I can't fine 05-06 criteria, but here's the 04-05 criteria:
Team A
o U.S. senior champions
o Placement in top 10, 2004 World Figure Skating Championships
o Medalists (top 3), 2004 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
o Medalists (top 3), senior Grand Prix Series Final
Team B
o Medalists (top 3), 2004 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
o Skaters who qualify for the senior Grand Prix Final (non-medalists)
o Medalists (top 3), Junior Grand Prix Final
o Places 2-4 in senior-level events at the U.S. Championships
o U.S. junior champions
Team C
o Skaters who qualify for the Junior Grand Prix Final (non-medalists)
o Medalists (top 3) at ISU junior and senior international competitions
o Singles: senior places 5-8, junior places 2-6, novice places 1-4 at U.S. Championships
o Pairs and Dance: senior places 5-6, junior places 2-4, novice places 1-3 at U.S. Championships
Reserve Team
o Medalists (top 3) at ISU novice international competitions, selected by the International Committee.
* Consideration for those in last year's envelopes not qualifying this year.
* Consideration for skaters not named above with high potential as evidenced by performance at regionals or sectionals.
* Consideration for pairs or dance teams, who are formed in the 2004-05 year, based on the results of designated summer competitions and input from members of the International Committee and international/world judges. These skaters will be added to this envelope only if they are assigned an international competition. It they medal (top 3) at an assigned competition, they will be elevated to the Team C Envelope.
* Consideration for singles skaters who compete at summer competitions with input from members of the International Committee and international/world judges. These skaters will be added to this envelope only if they are assigned an international competition. If they medal (top 3) at an assigned competition, they will be elevated to the Team C Envelope.
link
I definitely think Ryan Bradley and Angela Nikodinov will be on the Reserve Team, especially if they compete at a summer competition.
Personally I think that qualifying for the GPF should put you in Team A.