Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2005-2006 USFS Team Envelopes

I don't think Jaana's point was about skating recognition. It was soley about the unfairness of underdogs getting less than stars in any sport or whatever in life.

As for seedings. I do think this is a reflexion of where the USFSA is at when it comes to Grand Prix Assignments.

I'm hoping for two assignments for Bebe and yes, based on her top 5 finish at US Nationals.

BTW I know it is a bit early for the USFSA to come out with the GP assignments (although the envelopes are a clue): What happens if neither Kwan nor Cohen decide not to participate or maybe just participate in one? Can the USFSA send replacements or does the ISU replace their possible vacancies.

Joe

"For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath." (Matt 13:12).

Quote Originally Posted by IceDanceSk8er
    Loren and David are ready for the season. David is completely healed.
    Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear it. And welcome to the forum!

Mathman

Ice Angel
    Bebe should be in Team b, so do Loren and David. USFSA should pay attention to the skating quality, not just one competition's placement.

It's all about Plushenko.
    Bebe should be in Team b, so do Loren and David. USFSA should pay attention to the skating quality, not just one competition's placement.
    But your competition placement is all the "objective" evidence you have.
    The USFS website is incredibly hard to navigate, and I can't fine 05-06 criteria, but here's the 04-05 criteria:
    Team A
    o U.S. senior champions
    o Placement in top 10, 2004 World Figure Skating Championships
    o Medalists (top 3), 2004 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
    o Medalists (top 3), senior Grand Prix Series Final
    Team B
    o Medalists (top 3), 2004 World Junior Figure Skating Championships
    o Skaters who qualify for the senior Grand Prix Final (non-medalists)
    o Medalists (top 3), Junior Grand Prix Final
    o Places 2-4 in senior-level events at the U.S. Championships
    o U.S. junior champions
    Team C
    o Skaters who qualify for the Junior Grand Prix Final (non-medalists)
    o Medalists (top 3) at ISU junior and senior international competitions
    o Singles: senior places 5-8, junior places 2-6, novice places 1-4 at U.S. Championships
    o Pairs and Dance: senior places 5-6, junior places 2-4, novice places 1-3 at U.S. Championships
    Reserve Team
    o Medalists (top 3) at ISU novice international competitions, selected by the International Committee.
    * Consideration for those in last year's envelopes not qualifying this year.
    * Consideration for skaters not named above with high potential as evidenced by performance at regionals or sectionals.
    * Consideration for pairs or dance teams, who are formed in the 2004-05 year, based on the results of designated summer competitions and input from members of the International Committee and international/world judges. These skaters will be added to this envelope only if they are assigned an international competition. It they medal (top 3) at an assigned competition, they will be elevated to the Team C Envelope.
    * Consideration for singles skaters who compete at summer competitions with input from members of the International Committee and international/world judges. These skaters will be added to this envelope only if they are assigned an international competition. If they medal (top 3) at an assigned competition, they will be elevated to the Team C Envelope.
    link
    I definitely think Ryan Bradley and Angela Nikodinov will be on the Reserve Team, especially if they compete at a summer competition.
    Personally I think that qualifying for the GPF should put you in Team A.

What about all those previous top teams who now have new partners. (O'mearer; Goodwin, etc.). I presume they start from scratch without funding. Am I correct?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jesslily
    I think the way USFSA does it is very American. In general, other federations leave themselves more room to maneuvre, whereas USFSA preferes clearly set rules.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    What about all those previous top teams who now have new partners. (O'mearer; Goodwin, etc.). I presume they start from scratch without funding. Am I correct?
    If any of the new pair and dance teams want to be considered for an international assignment and have their progress monitored by national/international judges, they will end up competing in the Indy Pairs Challenge and Lake Placid Dance competitions, respectively, later this summer and, if any of them are awarded an international, they will be placed in the Reserve Team envelope (and bumped up to Team C if they medal).

P.S. Nikodinov already is in Team C due to her Skate America gold medal.

Thanks Sylvia.
    Okay, I went through the old criteria, and I don't think that Inoue & Baldwin made it in Team A:
    -Silver medals at Nationals
    -Placed 11th at Worlds
    -Didn't compete at 4CC
    -Placed 6th at GPF

Hmm...
    Am I missing something?

Custom Title
    Just received confirmation that the 2005-06 envelope list (in the link originally posted on page one of this thread) is NOT the final, official version and was never meant to be. When the link is posted as a news item on the USFS site, only then it will be "for real."

I see Michelle is on Team A, so has she comitted to skating this year?
    If not will the move someone up from Team B?
    And who do you think it would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhar55
    I see Michelle is on Team A, so has she comitted to skating this year?
    If not will the move someone up from Team B?
    And who do you think it would be?
    They won't move anyone up. In order to be assigned to a Team Envelope, you need to meet certain criteria, and the only ladies who have met them are Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen.

I noticed that they changed Team A criteria, though; it used to be all medalists at 4CC, now it's just the gold medalists. I guess too many US athletes medaled at 4CC this year!
    On the other hand, they relaxed the Worlds criteria from 10 to 12.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2