Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who should choreograph your favorite skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug
    Didn't Sandra Bezic completely retire from ice skating?

Ladybug
    Not entirely. She choreographed a program for Kristi last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SingAlto
    Not entirely. She choreographed a program for Kristi last year.
    That's different. A choreographer of an elite skater today should be well versed in CoP to create not just a beautiful but also a smart program.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I also would not mind if Brian Orser continued as a choreograhper. His "Teach me Tiger" program for Jennifer Robinson was great.

average opinionated skate fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    That's different. A choreographer of an elite skater today should be well versed in CoP to create not just a beautiful but also a smart program.

I quite agree, Pitchka, however, I did see the "Ice Moves with Debbie Wilkes on MSN Sypatico" and the quote I remember is Buttle's coach Wilson talking about what a great thing the COP was for all choreographers because many times they lay down the choreography and the skater goes back to powerful jumping passes and leaving out chorographical elements. Now the choreographers get to put in so much more interesting choreography since that is one of the things that is highly rewarded in CoP.

I can see his point. Maybe the choreographers have been itching to make skating "more beautiful" by transforming elements like spins and footwork passes, as well as neat choreography into jumps.

Is Tim G going to stick with Lori Nichols? Now there's a question. I know Audrey and he will work it out in actuality, but I keep wondering if there is some choreographer that can really draw Tim out and present his highest level of his skating. I think Robin Cousins could capture his "sensitive" side, or ask someone like Robin Wagner who both coaches and choreographs so she can challange him in all areas, both athletic and artistic....and now as Linda Eastman, for SNL would say..."Discuss, oi!"

Christopher Wheeldon!! The most exciting choreographer in ballet today. Like Ballanchine he makes a big trick look more like just other another step in the program. There is complete flow in his choreography.

David Wilson seems to have that talent of stressing skating moves with the music and not favoring the big tricks. Buttle and Rochette are excellent examples of showing the importance of flow and character.

Tatiana Tarassova also produces excellent skating programs. Her Swan Lake for Sasha was a gem; and Johnny's Nationals long program was superb.

Also, I would say Plush's choreographer. Bam! as Legassi would say. It's always over-the-top and if one likes it, so be it. I can do without it but it is a good example of bravura choreography which highlights the big tricks.

Joe

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Joe ITA with your assessments especially for the men. Style wise, I prefer the incredible subtelties abundant in Buttle and Weir's programs this year. But there is no doubt that Plush has his own unique style, and his programs are IMO well choreographed to that style. I can't wait to see what they all come up with for next year. I also hope for a well choreographed program for Joubert - and a "finding" of his style. I don't think he / his team have really found that yet.

I really liked Fumie's programs this year. I enjoyed her whole "package" right down to the costumes. I hope team Fumie comes up with something brilliant for next season, and that she struggles less technically than she did this past season. I hope Shiz "over uses" that Ina Bauer next season ala Irina / Bielmann's. I could watch Shiz just do for minutes of skate / Ina Bauer / skate / Ina Bauer.

IMO, lots of help is needed on the US ladies front. I doubt Kirk will be on the Olympic team next year in favor of a youngster. But one never knows. Her Beatles program this year was empty, and if she uses Lori again I hope they come up with something more exciting - I really think she is a lovely picture on the ice. Sasha and MK IMO have both fallen into a rut where it's sort of "same moves to different tunes" on the LP front. I too loved the original TT version of Swan Lake, and I hope that both Sasha and MK get some fabulous music and choreography, and then stick with it for the season.

It's sort of cool to see some of the men taking "center stage" on the total package front. At least that's my view after 2004/2005. (despite the technical mistakes at World's)

DG
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 05-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    I would love to see Savoie with one Tom Dickson program (his current choreographer) and one David Wilson program. I would also love to see what Tarasova and Browning would do with Li.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Umm, I was just commenting that Sandra Bezic hasn't entirely retired from the skating world because she's still choreographing. I don't know anything about COP or whether Sandra is choreographing for amateur skaters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2