American Idol - 5/10 & 5/11 | Golden Skate

American Idol - 5/10 & 5/11

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Carrie missed an awesome opportunity with that first song to bring down the house. I wish she had sung it about a third higher for starters. Her interpretation was all off and she sang everything exactly the same. She thinks that if she smiles and belts, that's enough. It's not. The words to this song are really great, but I just don't think that girl ever has a clue as to what she is singing about:

Oh Lord Please forgive me
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition
Need a little bit more of that sweet salvation
They may take me
With my feet draggin'
But I'll fly away on a sin wagon

Her second song was a total mess.

Bo's first song was boring. With all that country music out there, this is what he picked? What was this Alabama boy thinking? He was terrific with the 2nd song.

Vonzell--rumors of a death in the family or of her dog abound. In any event, first song was dreadful, 2nd song was very good. Not as good as the original but really a very good effort.

Even though I am not a fan of his, I thought that Anthony was the surprise best overall performer this evening. Carrie could learn about interpreting song lyrics from Anthony.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I agree. I was going to add on to your comments, but started a post myself. The show was not that great tonight. Looking forward to its ending soon.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Pretty Bleh...

All Carrie brings to this party are her vocal cords - nothing else IMO. Watching her last night made me miss Nadia who I think had less in the vocal chord department, but IMO was always a complete package.

I like Bo's voice, but his song choices have been hit and miss lately IMO. I'm over the sunglasses.

Vonzell's style of voice isn't my favorite, but I give her props as she always seems to make a big effort to entertain (unlike Carrie who doesn't know what that means).

Anthony definately has the most "pure" voice in the bunch, but just seems to be something non-distinctive about it. Can't quite put my finger on it.

This is the first year I've watched all episodes through the season, and I guess I was expecting more stand out performances by this stage of the game.

DG

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Great! I posted to this earlier but I was having internet problems and it didn't take. Grrrrr!

Overall, I think Anthony was the best last night and Carrie second.

In the first part:

Carrie was adequate, a notch above average even. The song sounded fine to me, but she didn't blow the roof off the place. Much better than lots of other weeks for her though.

Bo murdered a great Travis Tritt song. He's from Alabama, he should know better, even if country is not his genre and based on last night, it's nowhere near. I thought he was a better performer than that, more adaptable. I can sing that song better than he can.

Vonzell murdered (even worse than Bo) "How Do I Live". IMO, she tried to make it into something it's not. I prefer Trisha's version to Leann's, but not V's performance of it. Blech!

Anthony's "I'm Already There" I would buy in a heartbeat! :love: Where do I get a copy of that? It sucks though that he didn't get to sing the whole song.

The second half:

Carrie: again, loved it. I loved the arrangement and that was a good one for her voice.

Bo: subpar. Sorry dude!

Vonzell: I don't get it.

Anthony: His arrangement of this song was good for his voice and his abilities. Probably the best overall last night.

Overall, let me say this. I am no musical genius and have had no professional training and can't even read music. However, I was raised on country music. I didn't listen to much else until I was about 12. I consider myself to be adequately educated on what most country songs should sound like, even if someone is going for their own interpetation of the song. The basics of a song are the basics.

That being said, Vonzell was horrible in the first song. IMO, she tried to make it into a bluesy/soulish wounded woman song, which it is not. IMO it is a wondering woman song, sadish, but not tear out my heart wounded. Someday some great soul singer may be able to do it, but she didn't do it last night.

Bo had a huge oppritunity to blow the lid off with "It's A Great Day to Be Alive" and he didn't do it. It's not the song I would've chosen for him, but he certianly could've done better. Much better. I thought he was more adaptable than that. Yes, he's a "rocker" and maybe he hasn't listened to much country, but still! To go far in a show like this you have to be adaptable and I thought he was better than that. The performance was flat and boring. And yes, he messed up some of the words.

So those are my "yes I actually know something about one of the categories" opinions.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Last night was definitely Anthony's night, so I'm guessing the "gods" will vote him off tonight.....

My ranking based on both performances would be:

1. Anthony.......he nailed both his songs......his voice is so pure and clear.

2. Bo.........I liked both his song choices and appreciated the fact that one was slow, ballad-like and the other a typical Bo style country rock.

3.Carrie.......she has the best vocal range of the four, her first song was great but a bit off pitch on the second.

4. Vonzelle.......I hate putting her into fourth, but her first song was too slow and off key a bit..........she did nail her second song.

Bottom two should be Vonzelle and Carrie, but I'm guessing it will be Anthony and Vonzelle, with either one going home....................42

Kasey

Medalist
Just doing copy/paste from what I emailed to my mom:

So here's my take on most recent Idol events.....Keep in mind I just worked 12 hours, so may be a little off! :)

Carrie (Sin Wagon)....Ok, so Carrie gets to be in her element this week....but GROSS song! She's obviously going to be the best country voice, although I'm sure Bo will do fine.....I like her hair better without all the teasing and crap....It's nice to see her get into the music a bit more (aka, move her a$$ on the stage). Hate hate hate the song! Song, -1. Voice, of course 9. Performance, because she is in her own music world for a change, 9.

Bo (Travis tritt song?) Ok, so Bo's parents look like Kenny Rogers and Peggy Fleming. Strange combo. Bo's got a good voice for country, I'm surprised he didn't do something more upbeat....maybe to show he can 'unrock' at times. For Bo, I think it's a very blah performance, although his voice sounds pretty good. And what's with carrying around the whole mike stand all over the stage?? Put it down already...we know it's a portable mike, because Stepford girl moved around with it. Song, 5. Voice, 8. Performance, 5. I agreed very much with Simon, boring, uninspired, etc.

Vonzell (How do I live) She looks like she's wearing a moomoo. Her voice sounds really great tho, I didn't quite recognize it at first. She's obviously not made for country, um, ouch, bad bad high note. Does it count as a country song if you have taken it from 'mainstream' and then turn it further into adult contemporary? Somehow I think this is a bit of a cheat song for her. A little screechy on her higher/louder notes.....voice not as strong as Carries. She just sounded like Stevie wonder for a sec...wow, all over the place! Song, ick, 4. Voice, 6. Performance, 5 or 6. Not great. I liked Paula's input for a change. And God bless Simon for knowing when to let it lie. Poor little girl, hope nothing's really wrong and it's just stress and emotion.

Anthony (I'm already there) Wow, rather weak start. A little shaky, but he's doing better at this point. One of the few "country" songs I actually like (again, like Von, I think it's a little cheat to do something so mainstream). The voice is beautiful, and strong.....not quite Clay, but Clay-ish. Nice interpretation of the song, a little different stylization than the original. I'm sure Simon will bash! :) Song, 8. Voice, 9. Performance, 7. Wow, Paula is giving the "negative" feedback? WHOOOhooo.

Carrie (If you don't know me by now) Awww, sappy personal. Ooops, are we back to no moving, no presenting the music? So it would seem.For some reason, it doesn't seem like her voice fits this song...and can you NOT relate to the music a little more??? Sheesh, does she even care about what she is singing, or does she even know? Great voice, but the lack of relation or emotion to the song *unless it's country* really annoys me. Strong voice, belting a song, does not mean you understand it at all. Actual song choice, 5. Voice, 9. Performance, 3.

Bo (For love or money) He is such a sweetie....Ok, so I dig the "Shaft" background! This will work for "Bo caine" (Just kidding, I know he's clean now) He must have an endless supply of sunglasses. The suit thing is an interestingwardrobe choice....but I'm expecting to see aload of "bling bling"...gold chains and 20 pound medallions, etc. What a crappy song. Hmmmmm. Ok, the song choice is ok for HIM, but the song itself kind of blows. Song, 3. Voice, 5 (didn't show much range). Performance....a strange 5 or 6. What a bizarre program. I am sure Paula was lapdancing. It must have been better live.

Vonzelle (Don't leave me this way)....What a cutie, sweet girl. Ok, so the first three words, obviously this is more her style. MUCH better. She could bring back disco (is that a good or bad thing???) She does much better when she doesn't ask too much from her voice. (Just an aside, I kind of wish Scott was here this week,just to see how badly he would have sucked in two genres). Song, 9....MUCH better song choice for her. Voice, 8 (again, better and less screechy than the first number). Performance, 9. Great job for the Vonz.

Anthony (If you don't know me by now) He's a doll....But, um, two doing the same song? With all the songs these two guys supposedly wrote, two have to pick the same one???? I think this song is much better done by a male voice (just personal prejudice). And HE connects to the song, AND the audience! Carrie, WATCH! Minimalist in movement, but it's purposeful. It's more than hearing the song, you are seeing the performance. Song, 8 (for him). Voice, 10. Performance, 9. He's gotten stronger, much better, tonight.

Wow, how strange.....it seems like they each had a stronger and weaker performance...no one totally stood out on both numbers. Anthony I think was the most solid on both, even though the first one was a little shaky. I think Bo is too popular, and Carrie too cutesy...they will be safe, Von and Anthony will be bottom two. Either could go, but I have a bad feeling about my boy. He's been in more of the bottom tiers in the last month. But I think Von had a rougher show. HMMMMM, will be interesting

icy fresh

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Anthony and Vonzell! I felt so bad for Vonzell last night. I hope that everything is okay for her. I'm not much of a Bo or Carrie fan. I'm not sure who's going to leave tonight. Perhaps Bo or Carrie? Well, I'm just a little biased because they're not my favorites, but I was just really impressed with Anthony last night.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
AAAAAAANNNNTHHHHHONNNNNeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Ok, I'm fine now. :p

I voted 100 times last night for the guy, and nothin'. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that for my favorite. Well, now I'm rooting for Bo(Harold, lol). :biggrin:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I was disappointed for Anthony, but knew this would be the outcome. I just don't get what people see in Vonzelle. She could have gone before Anthony, in my opinion. I think Anthony has potential and just needs some good voice coaching lessons - Vonzelle is just too loud and never really sings.

It was a given Anthony would get booted off before anyone else. Bo and Carrie have won everyone over with their charm. I don't think there is anything special about either of them either, but they are probably the two candidates for the finish line.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
CzarinaAnya said:
AAAAAAANNNNTHHHHHONNNNNeeeeeeee!!!!!!! Ok, I'm fine now. :p

I voted 100 times last night for the guy, and nothin'. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that for my favorite. Well, now I'm rooting for Bo(Harold, lol). :biggrin:

I voted 115 times for Anthony myself, Anya. Guess I'll vote for Bo too. Carrie is a 2nd rate Country singer. I don't think she could make the cut for the Nashville Star finals. I like Vonzell but to be honest I preferred Nadia.

icy fresh

On the Ice
*tears* I'm so sad. I liked Anthony. Now I'm only going to watch because of Vonzell and if she's voted off, then there's no way that I'm watching the Final. I can't believe this. I liked Anthony sooooooooo much. I will def buy his CD when it comes out.