What are your hopes for Torino'06? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What are your hopes for Torino'06?

Niza

Rinkside
Eeyora said:
Ladies
Michelle to win gold. However at this point I would be happy to see her win a medal of any color. Slutskaya to win the silver. I want either Fumie, Sasha or Shizuka to win Bronze. I want Angela to comeback strong and make the Olympic team and place in the top ten.

Men
Gold: Plushy
Silver Lambiel
Bronze: Buttle

Pairs
Gold:Shen and Zhao
Silver: T/M
Bronze: Obertas and Slavnov

Ice Dance:
Non of the teams currently impress me. I like Denkova and Stayviski but hated their program this year. If they comeback with a good program then they will be my favorite for gold. If not I will be rooting for Grushina and Goncharov

It is my hopes too. Only bronze for Weir.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not predictions but my hopes for a gold medal:

Ladies: Arakawa or Cohen

Men: Lambiel or Plushenko

Pairs: Shen & Zhao

Dance: Belbin & Agosto or Denkova & Staviyski

Also I hope that the judging would be fair and no big name skaters would be held up.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FAIR JUDGING.

Ladies: Kwan (at last)!, Slutskaya, Cohen or Suguri

Men: Plushenko, Weir, Lambiel or Buttle

Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Totmianina/Marinin, Pang/Tong or Zhang/Zhang

Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Navka/Kostomarov, Denkova/Staviiski or Grushgons

soogar

Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Belbin/Agosto wont be at the Olympics unless there is a last minute citizenship miracle(dont bank on it).

She's going to get citizenship. It's not that big of a deal and they're favored to win a medal. Though I think that even if they are there, they aren't going to medal.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
My hopes for the men are a podium consisting of Joubert, Plushenko, and Lambiel - not saying which order. :laugh:

Ladies - Kwan, because dear god she deserves it and she'll be too old to go for another one.

Pairs - Shen & Zhao because they're genuinely inspirational when they skate.

Dance - Roman and Tatiana, because they'll never make it to another Olympics and deserve one for their tough command the past two seasons. Besides, this will be the Olympic gold medal that hubby Sasha Zhulin never got to have, and I want Zhulin to get whatever he wants. :laugh:

Casper

Rinkside
Men: Lambiel for gold, Lysacek for silver, Goebel for Bronze

Pairs: Shen & Zhao for Gold, T/M for silver, Pang & Tong for bronze

Dance: Belbin/Agosto, Navka/Kostomarov, Denkova/Staviiski

Ladies: Kwan for gold, Surguri for silver, Slutskya for bronze with Angela on the US team and finishing top 10.

S

SkateFan4Life

I think it's far too early to make serious predictions about the Olympics. I'll wait until the Grand Prix season concludes, then make my "predictions", for what they're worth.

However, I certainly hope that we have fair, unbaised judging this time around.
No more scandals. :clap: Let the best skaters win in each discipline, plain and simple.

May all of the skaters perform to the best of their abilities, and may all of them leave Torino satisfied with their competitions and results.

And -- I hope that we see more televised skating and less of those "up and close personal" bios. !!!!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Add me too the NO JUDGING DEBACLES camp as well. I've watched every Olys since '80 and with the exception of Calgary in '88, there has always been at least one judging mess. (Dance and Women's results in Lake Placid, the Blumberg/Seibert fiasco in Sarajevo, the Men's results in Albertville, ALL 4 GOLD MEDAL PICS in Lillehammer, and so on). The only controversy in Calgary that I remember was the Duchesnays thing, and that was highly subjective due to their level of technique at the time.

However, I don't think it's going to happen. In Moscow we saw scores being re-calculated and corrected due to "incorrect start value being posted", like with Paul Hamm in Athens, and they get through the entire Olympics without that happening at least once, I will be amazed. And the ISU better hope, that if that does happen, then there better not be a medal placement involved and someone will have to trade their medal in for like 5th place or something, because after SLC, the IOC will NOT be amused.

Beyond that, my wish list:
LADIES: Of course I'd love to see Michelle win. But more than that, I'd like to see her go there and HAVE A GOOD TIME. She was uptight in Nagano, then in SLC, she said her goal was to "have fun and go for it", and she accomplished neither. I'd like to see her take a page from Lipinski's book in '98 and just have an absolute blast enjoying the Olympics and not caring about where she ends up. It'd be a win-win: She never seems to have fun at the Olys, and Michelle skates her best when she's relaxed.
But -- truly, I'm not sure I care who wins the Ladies -- as long as, for the first time since '92, the gold goes to someone who's actually FAIRLY ESTABLISHED and has been around a while and has actually made some contribution to the sport, unlike the last 3 Ladies OGM's who went to teen phenoms who were having the year of their life (or in Sarah's case, the long program of their life) and then dropped off the radar not long after.

PAIRS: I am completely in favor of Shen/Zhao winning this one. For one thing, it's tedious to have the same country win the same gold medal 11 Olympics in a row, and I'd say the same if the US was the one doing it. Secondly, to put Totmiannina/Maranin in the same category as Rodnina/Zaitsev, Gordeeva/Grinkov, the Protopopovs, etc, is absolutely laughable.

DANCE; Making the assumption that Belbin/Agosto can't be there, I'd love to see Dubreil & Lauzon step up to the plate and fill in the North American gap on the podium. Simply because Marie-France Dubreil has been around forever and I'd love to see her finally stand on a Major podium. (Plus I've met her and found her absolutely charming)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Ladies: What I really want is for Irina and Michelle to tie for gold . Kwan, to have the skate of her life at Olys, medal (any color) and greet the press with a big smile -- "I just became the first American ever and the second woman to win 3 medals in the ladies event -- I'm not crying this time, because this time I don't have anything to cry about!"

Dance: Anybody but N/K.

Pairs: Petrova & Tikhnov (I like them because Alexei spoke up in defense of the male Zhang, when he was accused of deliberately crashing into TT at Worlds) will tie with a top Chinese team. $peedy turns purple as he hands out duplicate golds

Men: Sandhu for gold, just to watch the shock. Really would like to see Klimkin the only Russian on the podium.

Serena

Rinkside
Pairs
Gold- S/Z, Silver- T/M, Bronze- Petrova & Tikhonov (Even if I like the Zhangs and O/S better, I'd like to see them retire with an Olympic medal)

Men
Gold- Sandhu, because as attyfan said, just for the shock value alone- it would be really interesting, and I know this is wishful thinking, but for ONCE, just ONCE, I'd like to see him land all his jumps without singling or doubling them. Because if he could do that, I know it would be amazing, and my jaw would be on the floor.

Silver- Goebel. Because I like him, and I really want him to prve the naysayers wrong.

Bronze- Any of the following- Weir, Joubert, Lambiel, Lysacek, Buttle.

Dance
Gold- G/G, Silver- Denkova and Staviyski, Bronze- Delobel and Schoenfelder

Ladies

Gold- The Kween, of course, skating so amazing that there'd be no question she won.
Silver- Slutskaya
Bronze- Either Cohen, Arakawa, or Sebestyen.

These aren't all totally realistic- but they're what I want.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Hopes well, The Kween skates the skate of her life and finally wins the Olympic gold decisively. Silver to Irina ,Bronze to any of the Japanes ladies.

Men- Plushenko (for skating on knees that shouldn't be able to let him do the things he does, Weir, and then Lambier

Dance - I hope that B/A get citizenship so that they can at least compete

Pairs-I hope the American pairs stay upright, Shen/Zhao or T/M the gold

Last edited:

screech

Final Flight
My hopes:
MEN
1. Sandhu
2. Buttle (though he's my fave, I kinda want Sandhu to win)
3. Plush or Lambiel
**I'd actually just be happy though with both Jeff and Emanuel going out there and skating to their potential, and being proud of themselves, no matter the result.

LADIES
1. Cohen
2. Slutskaya
3. Arakawa
**I wouldnt mind Slutskaya in 1st either, but I find Sasha to be the all around best womens skater out there

PAIRS
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Totmianina/Marinin
3. Petrova/Tikhonov
**Shen/Zhao just captivate me

DANCE
1. Navka/Kostomarov
2. Denkova/Staviski
3. Delobel/Schoenfelder
**I don't really have any dance favourites

K-Mo

On the Ice
I hope that Belbin and Agosto can go and compete. They deserve it.

I hope that Timothy Goebel can pull himself together and skate well. I hope that Johnny wins a medal.

I hope that Michelle has the skate of her life. I would love to see her win Gold, but I would settle for her to just pull all the stops out and have an amazing skate.

icenut84

Final Flight
I want to see - accurate and thoughtful judging, no judging scandals, no injuries, no withdrawals, no splatfests. It'd be great if each competition had everyone skating their best, and the results being what they may (as long as they're fair).

Ok, with that over with:

Men - I'd love to see Plushenko win the gold with the best performance he's ever given. Silver to Lambiel who also skates a blinder :) Bronze can be fought for between Lindemann, Sandhu, Joubert, Weir, Dambier, Klimkin, Li... maybe with Klimkin coming out on top.

Ladies - It would be the fairy story if Michelle could go into the Olympics and have the skate of her life in the LP. No holding back, no hesitation, with choreography reminiscent of Salome and stronger, harder elements. I would love to see a titanic battle for the medals between Kwan, Slutskaya, Cohen, Suguri, Arakawa, & Kostner, all skating great. Ando, Sebestyen, Sokolova, Poykio, Rochette and Volchkova can also try to give them a run for their money too. The field is so deep, if you think about it! Any of those 12 ladies could be a medal contender if they had a great skate.

Pairs - Shen & Zhao, Totmianina & Marinin for gold and silver, and Obertas & Slavnov on the podium too, esp. if they can improve all those crazy elements they were trying this year and get everything more consistent.

Dance - I want to see a decent challenge for the gold, one where we really don't know what might happen, rather than the predicted foregone conclusion. It'd be good to see Denkova & Staviyski back up there too, and maybe Chait & Sakhnovski and Delobel & Schoenfelder also challenging.

I just want it to be exciting! :)