What are your hopes for Torino'06? | Golden Skate

What are your hopes for Torino'06?

candylover

Spectator
What are your hopes and wishes for the Olympic games and who do you want
to win in each category?

I hope the replies to this are strictly in the category of hopes and not predictions. We will have floods of serious predictions by the end of the GPs while keeping eyes on National results.

Here are my HOPES for the 2006 Olympic Results:

Ladies - Michelle Kwan - if not - Irina Slutskaya. I definitely want an older gal to win this Olys.

Men - Stephane Lambiel - if not - Evgeni Plushenko. Actually I'm hoping for either one. Their styles are so different and I have to admit Evgeni is the more competitive.

Pairs - Savenchko and Szokowy(sp) - if not - Shen and Zhao. I think S&S are closer to relating to each other than any Pairs team in these competitions and that gets to me more than acrobatic lifts.

Dance - Delobel and Schonefelder - if not - Denkova and Stavisky. Both these teams have a strong relationship with their partners. Refreshing! not the usual sturm and drang of what has happened to dance.

Mind you: These are my hopes and past experience has shown my hopes are never fulfilled. When I get closer to the actual competition I will post my realistic predictions.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Wow! I've been out of the loop (ha! does that count as a pun?!?) for so long... And here I come back to find this great topic! :clap:

Seeing how my hope springs eternal ~ I will contribute the following...

* My darling Michelle wins it all... the medal, the endorsements, the whole shabang... while skating to a Jimmy Hendrix medaly with cheoro by Karen. C'mon Michelle! Show us real classical music translate on ice!

* Irina wins Silver & is happy with her accomplishment

* Tanith & Ben get to participate.

* Plushy is at his arrogant best

* S&Z take the Pairs with a performance that makes Turnadot look like child's play. (Gosh, how I love this pair)

* Skating gets through an international event with the ubers, casuals, sponsors & media pleased as punch with the result.

Its so sad, that while my hopes 1 - 5 are realistic but #6... not so much..

Oh well, Star Wars opens in 9 days ~ how bad could it all be?

Have a happy!

KW

Antilles

Medalist
I hope B&A get to participate, and that D&L and Del&Shoe do well. I hope someone other than N&K win it all, as theirs will be a very predictable win.

I'd love to see Rochette medal, and if she earns it, that Kwan wins it all.

I'd like to see Plushy, Lambiel and Buttle on the podium.

For pairs, I'd just like to see some really well choreographed programs. I'd also like the new German pair and M&B do well.

My biggest hope is for NO scandals that everyone will cry over. Just this once?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My hopes, wishing and dream podiums would be:

Men: Johnny Weir - Gold, Emmanuel Sandu - Silver, Brian Joubert - Bronze

Women: Sasha Cohen - Gold, Irina Slutskya - Silver, Michelle Kwan - Bronze

Pairs: Shen & Zhao - Gold, Tatianna & Maxim- Silver, Pang & Tong- Bronze

Dance: Belbin & Agosto - Gold, Marie France & Patrice - Silver, Tatianna & Roman - Bronze

I will just dream on.

Dee

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
My dreams involve a lot of ties:

Ladies -- Kwan and Slutskaya tie for gold -- a proper ending to what (IMHO) is one of the (if not the) longest friendly rivalry in ladies skating for too long for it to end any other way; Cohen or Kostner gets bronze.

Men -- Don't really care too much. Buttle and Goebel medal (I want him to come back strong.)

Pairs -- Petrova and Tikhnov (who strike me as really nice people) tie for gold with Pang and Tong -- as both teams step out of the shadows.

Dance -- Massive upset. Belbin & Agosto, Chait & Sagnovsky and Denkova & Staviski all medal -- in any order.

soogar

Record Breaker
My hope:
Shizuka Arakawa Gold, Miki Ando - Silver, Sasha Cohen - Bronze

Ilia Klimkin - Surprise gold , Stephane Lambiel - silver, Li- Bronze

GrushGons- Gold, C&S silver, Navka Bronze

Any Russian team to keep the gold in Russia (I personally like Obertas/Slavnas)
Petrova & Tikhonov (silver or bronze), The Zhangs for the silver or bronze

Spirit

On the Ice
candylover said:
What are your hopes and wishes for the Olympic games?
Good seats. :yes:

Just kidding. I'm too poor, so I'm shooting for 2010 in Vancooooooooooooouver! :rock:

For 2006, I hope for no scandals, no injuries, and U.S. citizenship for Tanith.

I hope for a gold for Michelle. If a gold could be given for a career and for karma, she would win in a heartbeat. If not Michelle, then Irina Slutskaya.

On skating exhibition night, Ottavio Cinquanta takes center ice with a microphone, confesses to corruption, turns in all his co-conspirators, and is handcuffed. After that, everyone will stand and do the Macarena.

Don't ask me questions if you can't handle the answers. :p

tvcats

Rinkside
My hope is no more scandals and no more duplicate medals. Otherwise figure skating will suffer even more.

2ndmark

Rinkside
Ladies: Michelle Kwan

Men: Weir or Buttle or Lambiel (in that order)

Pairs: Shen & Zhao (Hoping they finally get all the respect they deserve)

Dance: Actually no real opinion. (I'd love to see B&A compete. I'm sure N&K will win- I just hope she loses the tacky headbands.)

Mainly I hope every skater has the skate of their lives.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan having a kick butt skate (and hopefully getting gold)
All of the men skating well, and Ilia Klimkin medaling.
Shen & Zhao take it.
Belbin & Agosto get to compete (and maybe take a medal too).

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Michelle, Sasha, & Fumie on the podium

Jeff Buttle & Johnny Weir on the podium

Good health for Takeshi and a great season for him

Shen & Zhao winning gold

Tanith & Ben competing & winning a medal

No more corrupt judges & judging scandals :no:

No more anonymous judging :no:

tvcats said:
My hope is no more scandals and no more duplicate medals. Otherwise figure skating will suffer even more.

Hey TVcats - If there is no cheating there will be no scandals. So let's hope for no cheating. Otherwise you are correct, figure skating will suffer.

On skating exhibition night, Ottavio Cinquanta takes center ice with a microphone, confesses to corruption, turns in all his co-conspirators, and is handcuffed. After that, everyone will stand and do the Macarena.

Hey Spirit - :rofl: Would love to see Speedy in handcuffs.

Joe

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I would give my right arm to see that!! LOL :rock:

Seriously, the biggest hope I have for these Olys is that the judging is fair and correct (and that I might actually get to enjoy the skating without getting a migraine after the results! If the judging is fair, this should happen naturally, LOL).

And in other hopes of a more personal nature, I hope to see Tanith & Ben there representing the USA as well as Timmy, Ryan Jahnke, Johnny, Angela Nikodinov, Evora & Ladwig, Orscher & Lucash, and of course, Michelle Kwan. In my ideal dream world, Michelle finally has the performances of a lifetime at the Olys and wins that gold medal (and I bawl my eyes out for her finally realizing her dream). My dreamworld is definitely a fun place to be in the off season! I can dream all I want about my fave skaters and keep the hope alive that their dreams come true this season. :agree:

OwenEvans

Rinkside
I just jope everyone skates a helluva lot better than at the recent WCs (especially the ladies).....

My wishlist:

Ladies: Just because....a Japanese lady, preferably Fumie.

Men: Lambiel all the way, although, if he is there, Klimkin will be fine too.

Pairs: S&Z

Dance: I find Ice Dancing (once my very fave discipline) now so boring since the rule changes have allowed pairs spins, the quest for the perfect twizzle and non-stop "dance lifts" to take over, that I don't care.

Last edited:

ladybug

On the Ice
What a nice thread this one is

Michelle for gold and having the skate of her lifetime.

Tim for gold with 3 quads and tons of presentation and Frank C. wringing his hands saying ----why did I fire him.

Tanith & Ben getting to the Olympics and winning the gold.

Shen & Zhao taking the gold. The Russians can have the OGM next time around.

I have a feeling none of my "hopes and dreams" will come true but it is fun to wish in the off season.

Ladybug

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Ladies

Sasha Cohen-Gold or Silver
Irina Slutskaya-Gold or Silver
Kimmie Meissner-Bronze

Men

Stephane Lambiel or Matt Savoie-Gold
Timothy Goebel -Silver
Ryan Jankhe-Bronze

Dance

Gregory & Pethukov-Gold
Denkova & Staviyski-Silver

Pairs

Totmianina & Marinin-Gold
Shen & Zhou-Silver
Orscher & Lucash-Bronze

Last edited:

paulostino

Spectator
Lady I THINK will win gold: Irina Slutskaya
Lady I WANT to win gold: Galina Maniachenko

Dance team I want to win : Drobiazko&Vanagas
Dance team I think will win : Navka&Kostomarov

Pair I want ot win : Shen&Zhao
Pair I think will win: Totmainina& Marinin

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladies
Podium: Michelle, Irina, Sasha, in any order.
Top 5: Fumie, Arakawa.
Top 10: Volchkova, Sokolova, Kirk, Sebesteyen.

Men
Gold: healthy Plushy
Medals: Lambiel, Johnny
Top 5: Evan, Klimkin
Top 10: Goebel, Joubert, Van Der Perren, Sandhu, Buttle
Top 15: Murvanidze, Serov, Griazev

Pairs
Gold/Silver: I want T&M to win the short, but S&Z to win overall.
Bronze: Obertas & Slavnov
Top 5*: Petrova & Tikhonov to be in top 5.
Zagorska and Siudek to have a decent non-embarassing performace.
* If Savchenko & Szokolwy get to compete, then them instead of Pet & Tik into top 5; however, I understand there are citizenship issues there.

Dance
Gold & Silver: I really don't have a preferance in terms of Russians vs. Bulgrians. But I want Denkova & Stavijski to have a stellar performace, and for the judges to judge this one fairly. In any case, for those two teams to have silver and gold.
Bronze*: for Delobel & Schoenfelder
Top 5: GrushGons and Chait & Sakhnovsky
Top 10: Dubreuil & Lauzon, Gregory & Petukhov, Faella & Scalli, Domnina & Shabalin, Kerrs
Top 15: Gudina & Beletsky, Wing & Lowe, Matthews & Zavozin, Watanabe & Kido
Top 20: Yang & Gao

*If B&A get to go, then I'd like them to get the bronze.

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Ladies
Michelle to win gold. However at this point I would be happy to see her win a medal of any color. Slutskaya to win the silver. I want either Fumie, Sasha or Shizuka to win Bronze. I want Angela to comeback strong and make the Olympic team and place in the top ten.

Men
Gold: Plushy
Silver Lambiel
Bronze: Buttle

Pairs
Gold:Shen and Zhao
Silver: T/M
Bronze: Obertas and Slavnov

Ice Dance:
Non of the teams currently impress me. I like Denkova and Stayviski but hated their program this year. If they comeback with a good program then they will be my favorite for gold. If not I will be rooting for Grushina and Goncharov