Anyone read Cracked Ice by Sonia Bianchetti? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Anyone read Cracked Ice by Sonia Bianchetti?

76olympics said:
Thanks for the info, Sylvia! Would most of you who have read this vote that it was worth the $ ? I tend to buy as soon as I see a book appear---but I like the ones with more substance that lend themselves to re-reading. I was disappointed in "Frozen Assets"--it seemed a good bit like those articles in IFS. It was interesting to read once--but I regretted buying it.
If you are not interested in the behind the scenes workings of the ISU, I agree, you should not buy this book. There are a number of books other than this which you would find more to your liking.

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
76olympics said:
Thanks for the info, Sylvia! Would most of you who have read this vote that it was worth the $ ? I tend to buy as soon as I see a book appear---but I like the ones with more substance that lend themselves to re-reading. I was disappointed in "Frozen Assets"--it seemed a good bit like those articles in IFS. It was interesting to read once--but I regretted buying it.

I recommend the book. It was much more substantial reading than Frozen Assets. I found it interesting for more than just the ISU politics, because it gave insight to specific memorable competitions that Bianchetti was involved in, development of the sport in other countries, and how rule changes affected the careers of specific skaters. There was much more inside information than Brennan’s books, but it wasn’t as easy to read, because Bianchetti did not work with a great editor and the English translation is a little strange in places.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I agree with Brad's assessment...

This book really is about Sonia, and her overall involvement in figure skating through 20+ years. So that includes her experiences with the ISU, her experiences as an official and a teacher (judges seminars, etc). It also seems that Sonia was very involved in moving the sport forward over time (i.e. working towards elimination of figures).

I absolutely thought this book was worth the $$ and I will certainly re-read it in the years to come. It's packed with details.

My biggest complaint about the writing style was over-use of !!!!!!!! That was a bit distracting until I got used to it after a few chapters.

DG

Sylvia

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
There was much more inside information than Brennan’s books, but it wasn’t as easy to read, because Bianchetti did not work with a great editor and the English translation is a little strange in places.
FYI, Bianchetti wrote the book in English (no translation) and the editing was fairly minimal, as I understood it, to preserve her original "voice."