Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
OK, that makes sense. I guess I never realized that it wasn't perfectly normal for Obiwan to appear as a spirit to Luke. I just assumed it was something all Jedi did naturally.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
At the end of ROTJ....(the remix), the actor we briefly saw as Annakin aka Darth Vadar was replaced with Hayden Christensen (this is the scene where the spirits of the Jedi are reunited as Luke smiles and looks on)...........I would have liked to have seen Qui Gon Jin there as well........to complete the circle so to speak........42

Vash01

Medalist
show 42 said:
At the end of ROTJ....(the remix), the actor we briefly saw as Annakin aka Darth Vadar was replaced with Hayden Christensen (this is the scene where the spirits of the Jedi are reunited as Luke smiles and looks on)...........I would have liked to have seen Qui Gon Jin there as well........to complete the circle so to speak........42

ITA Show. Just before these spirits appear in the new version, there are fireworks and celebration on Coruscant- something that was not in the original ROTJ. Then we see Hayden Christensen instead of Sebastian Shaw, with Yoda and Obiwan (Alec Guiness). I would have definitely liked to see Qui Gon Jin, who found Anakin as a child with strong force. It would have- as Show42 put it- completed the circle.

Some people are quite upset about the changes to the original trilogy. However, eventually we will see all 6 in a row, as one long story, and the changes will only reinforce that.

Vash

Buzzz

Final Flight
I am going to get a kick in the pants for this but..... Ever since I first saw ROTJ during puberty( a loooooong time ago...) the only thing I truely dislike about all 3 movie, and now 6 I guess, is the whole reformed mass murderer thing. It just does not do it for me. :) I liked the ending up until I saw Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker standing with Yoda and Obi Wan. After over two decades of misbehaving, he should have simply just passed on. ;) Please don't kick me to hard.... I am extremely delicate.... hehehehe :p

Is there one single thing that you all dislike about the movies the most?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Buzzz said:
Is there one single thing that you all dislike about the movies the most?

Bar none for me is Anakin's reason for giving over complete obedience to the Emperor. I can marginally accept that his love with Padme was strong enough to cause conflicting loyalty to the Jedi dogma. But what rang 110% false to me were the moments after he kills Sam Jackson's character. He has about 1 micro second of "OMG what did I do?" to immediately dropping to his knee to swear loyalty to his master. The justification for that level of loyalty that then led him to kill the Jedi kids was weak, weak, weak. I really wanted to see sound reasoning for Anakin's misguided choice. I wanted to walk away understanding how it was possible that he could be misled. The whole thinking process behind the idea that ALL Jedi must be enemies of the Republic was :scratch: . I didn't just truly dislike the weakness of this plot point, I hated it.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
just coming in now to say that I saw it midnight of the 19th.... along with my mom and a ton of my friends... I loved it from beginning to end. I ended up hating Yoda (how he could ask such a thing of Obi-Wan I just don't understand!) crying during Obi-Wan's final scene with Anakin... and wishing it didn't have to be that way lol

I have seen it 4 times, and really don't think I will see it another time. Not that it's not a great movie, it's in my top two favorites of the Star Wars saga, but it's such a draining film... lol

Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid both OWN this film. Not that Hayden doesn't do a great job, but seriously Ewan is dead on with the Alec Guiness Manerisms, and Ian reprising his role as the Emperor... seriously the man was the anti-Christ in this film. He was amazing. Yeay for the Scotsmen!!!!! :clap:

Vash01

Medalist
Skate Sandee said:
Bar none for me is Anakin's reason for giving over complete obedience to the Emperor. I can marginally accept that his love with Padme was strong enough to cause conflicting loyalty to the Jedi dogma. But what rang 110% false to me were the moments after he kills Sam Jackson's character. He has about 1 micro second of "OMG what did I do?" to immediately dropping to his knee to swear loyalty to his master. The justification for that level of loyalty that then led him to kill the Jedi kids was weak, weak, weak. I really wanted to see sound reasoning for Anakin's misguided choice. I wanted to walk away understanding how it was possible that he could be misled. The whole thinking process behind the idea that ALL Jedi must be enemies of the Republic was :scratch: . I didn't just truly dislike the weakness of this plot point, I hated it.

Sandee,

Anakin was always ambivalent about his feelings toward the Jedis. That came out throughout. As an idealist and committed to the Jedi order, he was torn between what the dark side promised and what his ideals dictated. Right after Mace Windu was killed, he had remorse, but it was clear why he wanted Palpatine to live- he thought he could save Padme by learning the dark powers. However, when he knelt before Palpatine, there was fear and doubt in his face, may be greed too. Anakin was never obedient with Obiwan, so it may seem strange that he obeyed Palpatine in every little way. Obiwan loved Anakin, and so he felt comfortable disobeying him, like one would in a family. I do believe Anakin was afraid of Palpatine's power, and he did not like the orders but he followed them, thinking that was the price to pay for Padme's life. In a scene after he becomes Darth Vader, he even sheds a tear, I believe he still has remorse for killing the innocents. However, it is impossible for him to go back after what he did. After the emperor saves his life and he wears the mask, he really has no choice but to accept his fate for the rest of his life. Only when he sees the integrity displayed by his son Luke, in the face of death, he knows the good from the bad (and he takes the right action, even though it means certain death for himself).

In eastern philosophy the mind one carries at the time of death is very important. One good deed can erase bad deeds of the past, like turning on light in a dark room. That is why earlier Luke is so intent using on that little bit of good remaining in him, because he believes his father can be saved from the horror of what he did. I think that's the approach Lucas is using in bringing the good Anakin back after his death.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Vash

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Exactly Vash............and we have to remember how very young Anakin is.....Yoda said it first, when he met Anakin as a young child, that he was "too old" to train, that the circumstances of his upbringing have scarred and marred his ability to be trained. Taken away from his mother after a strong attachment had been formed, made it inevitable that he would transfer that love to another, Padme. Unable to save his mother, he was determined not to let that happen with Padme...........It's a case of "too much, too soon, too young"......42

Vash01

Medalist
show 42 said:
Exactly Vash............and we have to remember how very young Anakin is.....Yoda said it first, when he met Anakin as a young child, that he was "too old" to train, that the circumstances of his upbringing have scarred and marred his ability to be trained. Taken away from his mother after a strong attachment had been formed, made it inevitable that he would transfer that love to another, Padme. Unable to save his mother, he was determined not to let that happen with Padme...........It's a case of "too much, too soon, too young"......42

Very good point Show42. Being separated from his mother at age 9, only to find her tortured to death 10 years later must have been so horrible. At the time episode 3 begins, he is around 23, which is still young and vulnerable. He immediately became a pawn in the hands of Palpatine who was really the only person that accepted him for what he was, besides Padme. The Jedis were always suspicious of him, in spite of his many triumphs and contributions to the republic. The lack of trust by the Jedis helped Palpatine convince him that the Jedis were not always right. Obi wan truly loved him- besides Padme-, but Anakin could not always see it. Anakin put his trust in the wrong place. He could not get over the loss of his mother. Yoda gave him words of wisdom but what Palpatine offered was much more attractive. It is very understandable that at that young age he fell prey to it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Buzzz said:
Revenge of the Sith is now number 12 on the all time box office chart! And this is only it's 4th week of opening! :biggrin:

And I do not know if I am allowed to post pictures so I will put the link, check out this doctored picture I found online. ewww......

http://www.origo.hu/i/0407/20040727jedi.jpg

what's doctored about it? Lucas added Hayden's head to papa Skywalker's body last year when the DVD collectors set came out.... so am I missing what is in the picture??? :scratch:

Buzzz

Final Flight
Oh dear... I did not know that. :D My VHS collection was purchased soon after the first trilogy was re-released. So this is the first I have seen this picture. :eek: So if we have a young Vader, why can't we have a young Obi Wan?! :biggrin: hehehe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Buzzz I've been saying that for a while now

though after watching ROTS and bawling my eyes out (yes I am that much of a star wars dork lol) I don't have nearly the same ammount of problems that I did when I watched ROTJ before seeing the final PT film

now I still miss seeing Sebastian Shaw as papa Skywalker... but Hayden does a great job at expressing pride in his "son" (who is played by an actor who is, ironicly, old enough to be hayden's dad)

heyang

Record Breaker
That picture makes no sense. Both Yoda and Obi-wan appear as they did just as they died. While Anakin did have this appearance when he became Darth Vader, he did not die and there's no way he could have not aged in the amount of time it took for his son to become a well-trained Jedi. Also, it doesn't add anything to the storyline. At least some of the other changes didn't stick out as much.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good point, Heyang. The way I see it is that Annakin did die, in a way, when he became Darth Vadar. When Luke "saved" him at the end of the last episode, he saved Annakin the Jedi, not Darth Vadar. This is why, I think, Annakin looks as he did before he became D.V............Obi-won and Yoda were always Jedis, thus, they appear in spirit as they were as living Jedis.........same for Annakin......make any sense? 42

Buzzz

Final Flight
I am with the "picture should not have changed" crowd. Anakin did some naughty stuff years before he chose the path he did. And all his deeds should not be forgottten simply because he is remorseful towards the end of his life. But still that is just my humble opinion and overall this movie series is a great legacy for it's creator George Lucas. We should all be so lucky as to have sure and great body of work to show for our life's labours. :rock: :clap: :agree:

Now let's see what they have in mind for the tv series due out in 2007. :)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's being rumored that it will be based more around the "lesser known" character Boba Fett... we'll see I am not going to watch until I hear other SW fans gush about it... I'm not going to sit and wait for it...

I have never been a fan of ANY of the changes made to the OT except for the bigger/cleaned up explosions... again I still have issues with the whole Anakin being younger while Obi-Wan and Yoda are still the two old farts...

however, a lot of the argument is that the last time "Anakin Skywalker" was "alive" was when he was that twenty-something cocky Jedi Knight whom Padme loved and Obi-Wan saw as a brother... Thats how it's been explained by Mr. Lucas. I don't like the changes (because I want Ewan if all the newer fangirlys get Hayden! as well as other reasons) but it's not as glaring to me...

then again I've watched that DVD twice... and man you should have seen my dad hit the roof the first time he saw it LOL... oy, and he says *I* take the movies too seriously ;)

Buzzz

Final Flight
The reason why I like these movies so much is because the main characters, Luke, Leia, Hans, Obi Wan(Ben) have all got that Jimmy Steward type innocence and goodness about them that are no longer found in movies anymore. And haven't been for many decades. And I am terrified of all this "thinkering" that has been going on. It is this thinkering I am afraid off that prevents me from reading the serial books that has been around for some time now. Not only of Star Wars but of Star Trek as well. Just to name a few. :) Not mention there are as many author's as there are books out there and they all have tried to put their own "stamp" on the story.... "shudder" :frown:
I sincerely hope Hollywood do not put pressure on Lucas to make episodes 7,8 &9. Especially since at this rate, I might just be in my 60s by the time georgie finishes them. hehehe :biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Buzzz I've been saying that for a while now

though after watching ROTS and bawling my eyes out (yes I am that much of a star wars dork lol) I don't have nearly the same ammount of problems that I did when I watched ROTJ before seeing the final PT film

now I still miss seeing Sebastian Shaw as papa Skywalker... but Hayden does a great job at expressing pride in his "son" (who is played by an actor who is, ironicly, old enough to be hayden's dad)

I have no problem with Hayden appearing in the ROTJ DVD. I would not have a problem either way because there is a suitable explanation for either choice (Christensen or Shaw). Sebastian Shaw was 80 years old when he played the dying Anakin Skywalker, so he was old enough to be Hayden's grandfather (not just father).

I am with Show42 on this one. When Anakin became Darth Vader, the good man Anakin essentially died. When the spirit joined the other two jedis, it was the original Anakin that did so. Obi wan and Yoda did not go through any kind of drastic change. They aged and died (Obi wan at the hands of Vader, but by his own choice), so they appeared just like in the original series. However, as I said, I have no problem with either choice. I don't understand all the anger about the changes to original trilogy. It is Lucas's work. He can do what he wants with it. I do like the fact the Hayden's return ties the whole series together.

Vash