Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day?

heyang

Record Breaker
I think Yoda and the other Jedi could not see the betrayal because of the power of the Dark Side. They sensed something was going to happen, but never expected to be betrayed by the Republic they served. I think only the council knew about the bigger disturbance. Also, they were all distracted by their belief that Anakin was the Chosen One who was supposed to restore balance; they never imagined that he would be the one to tip the balance via his fear and to restore it by fathering Luke & Leia.

I think I might go read some of the books now. The overall message of this episode is to not let fear rule.

The murder of the Jedi was probably the most disturbing part because it was a betrayal of their trust and they were the good guys. Initiallly, I thought it would be the death of the younglings that got the PG13, but they didn't show that treachery.

I might go see it again just to pick up on detail.

Vash01

Medalist
I saw it for the second time yesterday. I too had read the book before I saw the movie, so it was a spoiler for me. I knew I should not read the book first, but my dark side took over. LOL.

Major spoilers ahead...............

To address some of the questions- the Jedi's had certain powers but they were not 'God's. They could sense something negative happening, but it does not mean they would sense it every time. Also they could not tell the exact origin of it. They could only suspect that something was wrong somewhere. They were busy doing their duties and were caught unaware.

Although Anakin was supposed to be the chosen one, the Jedis never fully trusted him, with the exception of Obi Wan. In spite of saving the republic many times in wars, Anakin never got the full support or appreciation from the Jedi. Palpatine used it to turn him to the dark side. The senior Jedis needed to help Anakin overcome his weaknesses rather than keep a distance from him.

Yoda sensed the anger and fear in Anakin but he went along with the decision to train Anakin probably because he had no idea how far in the wrong direction those qualities would take Anakin. However, Yoda was the only one that had the bad feeling about something as early as in the Phantom Menace.

Further, Yoda and others were unaware of the fact that Senator/chancellor Palpatine was Darth Sidious- the Sith they were looking for. In fact it was Anakin who guessed it right because he was close to Palpatine. Unfortunately Anakin was young, vulnerable, and dreadfully afraid of losing his loved ones. He was genuinely supportive of the Jedi but the fear got the best of him. Palpatine used the trust the Jedis had in Anakin to destroy them. Had he sent Count Dooku, they would have faught him.

Why did Vader not recognize Leia as his daughter? Nobody knew, until the twins were about to be born, that Padme was carrying two babies. Vader did not know that Padme had given birth. At the funeral they made sure that Padme looked pregnant. That protected the babies for sometime because very few knew they had been born. If Vader felt later that she did give birth before dying, he assumed that he had a son as his only child (Luke Skywalker- the name made it easy to track him down, didn't it?). He did not suspect the twin sister until Luke's thoughts betrayed him in Return of the Jedi. Darth Vader did not know that Leia was his daughter. However, in episode 4 (Original Starwars movie) he always saved her life whenever Tarkin tried to kill her, by saying that she may be useful to them. So I think deep down somewhere he had soft, parental feelings for her.

The force was strong in both Luke and Leia but they had very different upbringings. Leia was inclined toward politics, while Luke was a warrior, which made it easy for him to develop the Jedi abilities. Without the training Obi-Wan gave him, he could not have developed, however. In one of the Starwars books (they start after ROTJ) Leia had those abilities and Luke was training her to become a Jedi. However, her natural inclination was always political. Remember who her mother was? (Senator Padme Amidala)

It will be wonderful to have episode 3.5 in which we see the children Luke and Leia grow up.

In ROTJ when Luke asked Leia if she remembered her real mother, she said "I little; images really". So I had expected to see Padme alive for a few years after giving birth to the twins. However, since I read the book first, that suspense was gone too. The only explanation I have for Leia's answer is- she misunderstood Luke's question. She may not have known that she was adopted.

In the post-ROTJ novels that came out, we read about Leia & Han Solo marrying, Luke creating/training Jedis in different parts of the galaxy, etc. Unfortunately the actors of the original trilogy are too old now. It would make more sense to create a movie between Episodes 3 & 4.

About killing of the younglings- this was the ultimate atrocity, and it showed how evil Palpatine really was. He did not try to convert the young ones to the dark side- something he could have done easily, but he would not take that risk. It was easier to kill them using Anakin because they trusted master Anakin. Very very evil! I could not help feeling sorry for Anakin because he was a young man who honestly wanted to do the right thing but somehow he got to the point from where there was no return. His downfall really began when he killed the women & children of the sand people (or Tusken raiders?) in Attack of the Clones. That action sowed the seeds of his destiny.

Vash

brad640

On the Ice
Thanks Vash! I enjoyed reading your post.
Vash01 said:
To address some of the questions- the Jedi's had certain powers but they were not 'God's. They could sense something negative happening, but it does not mean they would sense it every time. Also they could not tell the exact origin of it. They could only suspect that something was wrong somewhere. They were busy doing their duties and were caught unaware.
The the fall of the Jedi gave resonance to scenes in the first trilogy where Luke is laughed at when he says he is a Jedi because it is viewed as an obsolete religion.

Vash01 said:
(Luke Skywalker- the name made it easy to track him down, didn't it?)
:laugh: :laugh:

Were there no references to Han Solo in the prequels?

Buzzz

Final Flight
I have seen it twice already, and think the series certainly ended on a very high note. As much as I loved ROTS, but still think the first three movies were the best.:)

Antilles

Medalist
I though the movie was great, and I can't wait to see it again. Anakin's transformation was believable, the action was good, and it was quite sad. The dialogue was better in this film than the last two. I liked the addition of the wookiies.

Brad, there were no references to Han Solo. He was probably around 10 years old during the time of Revenge of the Sith, making him about 30 when "A new Hope" began. Wookiies apparently live much longer, so Chewbacca made a little more sense.

I am sure they will start writing books to fill in the gap years between the two trilogies. Lucas didn't want any books from that time period before his second trilogy was done, but I think he'd be fine with it now. For anyone who wants more of Star Wars, some of the books are very good. They have different authors, so not all are equal. I would suggest starting with the Thrawn Trilogy, a series of books by Timothy Zahn. They were the first post-Jedi books written, and take place five yeards after Jedi. The books now extend to about 25-30 years after the original trilogy, and have also begun filling in gaps during the Old Republic-Jedi days.

Vash01

Medalist
There is also a book that covers the events between episodes 5 & 6.

Out of the later (post ROTJ) I liked the Crystal star and a few others (I will have to search through my book collection). Timothy Zhan's trilogy is pretty good too.

Buzzz

Final Flight
Lucas is thinking about making a live action tv series based on events that happened between episodes 3 & 4. And it will have only minor characters from the movies, no major characters will be involved. :rock:

Antilles

Medalist
Vash, there was also a book between a New Hope and Empire. It's called "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", IIRC. It seems to have been universally panned, so it's rarely mentioned. Shadows of the Empire got better reviews. Lucas could do a lot with cartoons and TV movies. There are a lot of other characters that could be portrayed besides Luke, Leia and Han.

K-Mo

On the Ice
I loved it! I thought it was exciting and I loved the music, like I always do. I got goosebumps when I heard the beginning fanfare, and I don't think they went away until the end. It was a perfect way to start the summer movie season. :clap:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just got back from Star Wars, and it was magnificent. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It did a wonderful job tying up loose ends and ended the speculation once and for all whyAnakin went to the "dark side" of the force. Brilliant. Bravo Mr. Lucas and all. We went straight from the theater to Costco and purchased the first trilogy in DVD, an upgrade from our video set. We're primed and ready to watch the three till the end................42

Vash01

Medalist
I saw it for the 3rd time yesterday- this time on a bigger screen and it was magnificent. I noticed several details that I had missed the first two times. I went out and bought a DVD set of the first trilogy. Now I am trying to decide whether to wait for the second trilogy to come out as a set or just buy the DVD's individually.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I just could not wait for the DVD to come out so I went out and got the book! hehehe It used to be on sale for twenty-something dollars, not any more. But I got it any way. The book always(I hope) have a little more detail than the movie. I already own all the movies except of course ROTS. :)

Vash01

Medalist
I too bought the book, and yes, it gives a lot more detail. The one I found to be particularly interesting was that Yoda said at the end that the Jedi had been wrong in not moving with the times and not updating their skills, and that had at least partially caused the disaster (or something to that effect). Also Padme' wanted to say 'sorry' to Anakin in the book- in the movie it was not so clear. Of course movies can only tell us a limited amount.

brad640

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
The one I found to be particularly interesting was that Yoda said at the end that the Jedi had been wrong in not moving with the times and not updating their skills, and that had at least partially caused the disaster (or something to that effect).
Is this a Kwan reference?

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I would call myself as casual, mildly interested Star Wars fan. So I saw the movie for the first time this past Saturday. And I found it mildly interesting. But one question: I didn't understand what Yoda meant when he told Obiwan that he was going to put him in touch with Quigon (spelling?) - the Liam Neeson character. Can someone explain that part to me?

The one laugh out loud moment I admittedly had was when Yoda came into the Emperor's chamber and made short work of the two red-garbed guards. :rofl:

By the way, AFI is going to honor George Lucas with a lifetime achievement award. It's bound to be telecast on TNT or one of the other cable stations. I usually enjoy the AFI telecasts.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Skate Sandee said:
I would call myself as casual, mildly interested Star Wars fan. So I saw the movie for the first time this past Saturday. And I found it mildly interesting. But one question: I didn't understand what Yoda meant when he told Obiwan that he was going to put him in touch with Quigon (spelling?) - the Liam Neeson character. Can someone explain that part to me?

The one laugh out loud moment I admittedly had was when Yoda came into the Emperor's chamber and made short work of the two red-garbed guards. :rofl:

By the way, AFI is going to honor George Lucas with a lifetime achievement award. It's bound to be telecast on TNT or one of the other cable stations. I usually enjoy the AFI telecasts.
Good question, Sandee.........There is no reference to Quigon in Episode IV, so I am clueless.........Vash.........any ideas? 42

Vash01

Medalist
show 42 said:
Good question, Sandee.........There is no reference to Quigon in Episode IV, so I am clueless.........Vash.........any ideas? 42

I believe what Yoda meant was that he had learned how to get in touch with the late Qui Gon Jin and learned from him how to get into that certain 'state' instead of going into 'death'. He encouraged Obiwan to learn it too. There is no reference to QGJ in episode 4, but remember that Obi Wan had this mild smile on his face when he finally fell during his fight with Darth Vader. It seems he had learned that technique by that time and he chose that path.

That is just my interpretation.

The book alludes to this conversation between Yoda and Obiwan. I will need to read that part again.

Vash

Buzzz

Final Flight
This is my interpretation of that question:
Yoda meant simply communicating with the "dead". Qui Gon Jin past away but his spirit and life force has become "one" with the "force" and someone who knows completely that way of the" force" could talk to people who have reached that state( for the lack of a better word...) Remember all this star wars Jargin is filled with eastern religious references. And also remember Luke's conversions with a deceased Obi Wan in The Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi? :)

In other words Vash01 is right. :)