Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64

Thread: Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day?

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    I saw it for the 3rd time yesterday- this time on a bigger screen and it was magnificent. I noticed several details that I had missed the first two times. I went out and bought a DVD set of the first trilogy. Now I am trying to decide whether to wait for the second trilogy to come out as a set or just buy the DVD's individually.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    584
    I just could not wait for the DVD to come out so I went out and got the book! hehehe It used to be on sale for twenty-something dollars, not any more. But I got it any way. The book always(I hope) have a little more detail than the movie. I already own all the movies except of course ROTS.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    I too bought the book, and yes, it gives a lot more detail. The one I found to be particularly interesting was that Yoda said at the end that the Jedi had been wrong in not moving with the times and not updating their skills, and that had at least partially caused the disaster (or something to that effect). Also Padme' wanted to say 'sorry' to Anakin in the book- in the movie it was not so clear. Of course movies can only tell us a limited amount.

  4. #34
    Custom Title brad640's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    The one I found to be particularly interesting was that Yoda said at the end that the Jedi had been wrong in not moving with the times and not updating their skills, and that had at least partially caused the disaster (or something to that effect).
    Is this a Kwan reference?

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Is this a Kwan reference?
    Jedi Kwan- LOL!

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    584
    oh dear.....

    I am just loving the book. It is much better than the movie.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    299
    I would call myself as casual, mildly interested Star Wars fan. So I saw the movie for the first time this past Saturday. And I found it mildly interesting. But one question: I didn't understand what Yoda meant when he told Obiwan that he was going to put him in touch with Quigon (spelling?) - the Liam Neeson character. Can someone explain that part to me?

    The one laugh out loud moment I admittedly had was when Yoda came into the Emperor's chamber and made short work of the two red-garbed guards.

    By the way, AFI is going to honor George Lucas with a lifetime achievement award. It's bound to be telecast on TNT or one of the other cable stations. I usually enjoy the AFI telecasts.

  8. #38
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    I would call myself as casual, mildly interested Star Wars fan. So I saw the movie for the first time this past Saturday. And I found it mildly interesting. But one question: I didn't understand what Yoda meant when he told Obiwan that he was going to put him in touch with Quigon (spelling?) - the Liam Neeson character. Can someone explain that part to me?

    The one laugh out loud moment I admittedly had was when Yoda came into the Emperor's chamber and made short work of the two red-garbed guards.

    By the way, AFI is going to honor George Lucas with a lifetime achievement award. It's bound to be telecast on TNT or one of the other cable stations. I usually enjoy the AFI telecasts.
    Good question, Sandee.........There is no reference to Quigon in Episode IV, so I am clueless.........Vash.........any ideas? 42

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Good question, Sandee.........There is no reference to Quigon in Episode IV, so I am clueless.........Vash.........any ideas? 42
    I believe what Yoda meant was that he had learned how to get in touch with the late Qui Gon Jin and learned from him how to get into that certain 'state' instead of going into 'death'. He encouraged Obiwan to learn it too. There is no reference to QGJ in episode 4, but remember that Obi Wan had this mild smile on his face when he finally fell during his fight with Darth Vader. It seems he had learned that technique by that time and he chose that path.

    That is just my interpretation.

    The book alludes to this conversation between Yoda and Obiwan. I will need to read that part again.

    Vash

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    584
    This is my interpretation of that question:
    Yoda meant simply communicating with the "dead". Qui Gon Jin past away but his spirit and life force has become "one" with the "force" and someone who knows completely that way of the" force" could talk to people who have reached that state( for the lack of a better word...) Remember all this star wars Jargin is filled with eastern religious references. And also remember Luke's conversions with a deceased Obi Wan in The Empire Strikes Back & Return Of The Jedi?

    In other words Vash01 is right.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    299
    OK, that makes sense. I guess I never realized that it wasn't perfectly normal for Obiwan to appear as a spirit to Luke. I just assumed it was something all Jedi did naturally.

  12. #42
    Arm Chair Skate Fan show 42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Joaquin Valley, Ca.
    Posts
    3,206
    At the end of ROTJ....(the remix), the actor we briefly saw as Annakin aka Darth Vadar was replaced with Hayden Christensen (this is the scene where the spirits of the Jedi are reunited as Luke smiles and looks on)...........I would have liked to have seen Qui Gon Jin there as well........to complete the circle so to speak........42

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,926
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    At the end of ROTJ....(the remix), the actor we briefly saw as Annakin aka Darth Vadar was replaced with Hayden Christensen (this is the scene where the spirits of the Jedi are reunited as Luke smiles and looks on)...........I would have liked to have seen Qui Gon Jin there as well........to complete the circle so to speak........42
    ITA Show. Just before these spirits appear in the new version, there are fireworks and celebration on Coruscant- something that was not in the original ROTJ. Then we see Hayden Christensen instead of Sebastian Shaw, with Yoda and Obiwan (Alec Guiness). I would have definitely liked to see Qui Gon Jin, who found Anakin as a child with strong force. It would have- as Show42 put it- completed the circle.

    Some people are quite upset about the changes to the original trilogy. However, eventually we will see all 6 in a row, as one long story, and the changes will only reinforce that.

    Vash

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    584
    I am going to get a kick in the pants for this but..... Ever since I first saw ROTJ during puberty( a loooooong time ago...) the only thing I truely dislike about all 3 movie, and now 6 I guess, is the whole reformed mass murderer thing. It just does not do it for me. I liked the ending up until I saw Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker standing with Yoda and Obi Wan. After over two decades of misbehaving, he should have simply just passed on. Please don't kick me to hard.... I am extremely delicate.... hehehehe

    Is there one single thing that you all dislike about the movies the most?

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    299
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzz
    Is there one single thing that you all dislike about the movies the most?
    Bar none for me is Anakin's reason for giving over complete obedience to the Emperor. I can marginally accept that his love with Padme was strong enough to cause conflicting loyalty to the Jedi dogma. But what rang 110% false to me were the moments after he kills Sam Jackson's character. He has about 1 micro second of "OMG what did I do?" to immediately dropping to his knee to swear loyalty to his master. The justification for that level of loyalty that then led him to kill the Jedi kids was weak, weak, weak. I really wanted to see sound reasoning for Anakin's misguided choice. I wanted to walk away understanding how it was possible that he could be misled. The whole thinking process behind the idea that ALL Jedi must be enemies of the Republic was . I didn't just truly dislike the weakness of this plot point, I hated it.
    Last edited by Skate Sandee; 06-15-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Olympic Opening Ceremonies - Flashback
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2005-06 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2005, 05:15 PM
  2. Olympic Games Opening Ceremonies
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2005-06 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 10:35 AM
  3. The Opening Ceremonies Thread
    By A.H.Black in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. Memorial Day Plans!
    By show 42 in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 08:48 PM
  5. Olympic Opening Ceremonies
    By SkateFan4Life in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •