Torino, Italy, 2006 What if.....????? | Golden Skate

Torino, Italy, 2006 What if.....?????

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Let's say all of the top four competitors in each field have had their passports revoked, and they can't go to Italy. Who do you think would REALLY step up to the plate, and who would win the top three medals? Who do you think would have the skate of their lives? Sort of like Peggy Fleming did in the 60's. :)

People who couldn't go would be
Sasha, Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka

Johnny, Evgeny, Michael W., and Goebel

Totmianina & Marinin, Shen & Zhou, Petrova & Tikhonov, and Pang & Tong

Albena D. & Maxim S., Belbin & Agosto, Navka & Kostamarov, and Grushina & Goncharov.

These are my opinions of the top 4 skaters, yours are prob different, but if you could really humor me, that'd be great! :agree: :)

soogar

Record Breaker
Ladies: Fumie, Miki Ando, Elena Sokolova
Men; (you really didn't revoke the top 4 passports b/c Stephane would still be competing)- Klimkin, Lambiel, Sandhu

Dance: Denko & Stayivski , Delobel & Shoenfelder, C&S

Pairs: Obertas & Slavnov, Zhangs, and that German pair (if they can go), otherwise Inoue and Baldwin

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladies
Fumie
Costner
Sokolova

Men
I'll play along, but come on - you think 3 Americans are in the top 4, and you don't even include the current bronze medalist!
Lambiel
Buttle
Joubert

Dance
Delobel & Schoenfelder
Chait & Sakhnovsky
Domnina Shabalin (without N&K, a Russian team woud need to rise through the ranks fast)

Pairs
Obertas & Slavnov
Zhang & Zhang
Savchenko & Szokolwy

soogar

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
Ladies

Dance

Domnina Shabalin (without N&K, a Russian team woud need to rise through the ranks fast)

How much you want to bet that without N&K, that team will rise rapidly through the ranks? Russians have quite a bit of pull, after all N&K ascended very quickly after Lobacheva and Averbukh retired.

Dyan

On the Ice
Maybe it might be true that the Russian's have to have a team on top but to be fair from all that I've read about Domnina/Shabalin they are very good and after the expected retirements post 2006 Worlds they will be one of the top teams leading up to 2010. There are some who like them better than N&K.

Now of course thanks to the wonderful network programmers in the U.S. I have yet to see D&S for myself. :eek:hwell:

Kasey

Medalist
Michael Weiss and Tim Goebel among the top four male competitors in the World? One that didn't make the World team this year, one who finished a dismal 10th? :rofl:

Okay then....

ladies: How about Kostner, who actually WON the bronze at Worlds this year? How about Ando, Seguri, Poykio, Sokolova,Volchkova, Sebestyn....

Men's is a cakewalk. Let's look at the top 3 currently in the world, who you don't seem to include in your top 4. Then add Joubert, Dambier, Klimkin, Takahashi, Sandhu, Li, Griazev, etc, etc

Pairs, the most obvious to succeed with those on your list missing would be Zhang and Zhang. Also, include Obertas/Slavnov and the German "S/S" couple who's names I can't remember or spell. The sad thing is, even with the top four out, it would not be likely a U.S. team could capitalize.

Dance, also obvious, Delobel and Shoenfelder would kick butt! Then you would also have Domnina/Shabalin (sp?), Kerrs, Oconner and Odoherty, Chait and Sakhnovsky and others who I am spacing on right now.

Kasey

sk8tngcanuck

On the Ice
Ok...I am game to play what if, but I really need to change the players who's passports have been revoked:

Revoked Ladies:
Sasha, Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka

My picks for top 3, no particular order:
Joannie Rochette, Carolina Kostner, Miki Ando

Revoked Men:
Johnnie, Evgeny, Stephane, Buttle

Sandhu, Joubert, and Li

Revoked Pairs:
Totmianina & Marinin, Shen & Zhou, Petrova & Tikhonov, and Pang & Tong

Zhang & Zhang, Wakamatsu and Fecteau (if the citizenship comes in time), and Obertas and Slavnov

Revoked Dance:
Belbin/Agosto, Navkov/Kostamarov, and Grushina/Goncharov

Chait/Sakhnovski, Dubreil/Lauzon, Virtue/Moir ( I can dream!)

Canuck

S

SkateFan4Life

CzarinaAnya said:
Let's say all of the top four competitors in each field have had their passports revoked, and they can't go to Italy. Who do you think would REALLY step up to the plate, and who would win the top three medals? Who do you think would have the skate of their lives? Sort of like Peggy Fleming did in the 60's.

Whoa....Goebel and Weiss are NOT among the top four in the world at this point. Weiss did not even qualify for the US World Team, and Goebel, who competed at Worlds, finished a distant 10th.

As for Peggy Fleming -- she came to the fore, perhaps a bit prematurely, and won the first of five successive US titles inn 1964 at the age of 15 due to the loss of the entire US World Team in the tragic plane crash in 1961. Her rise had nothing to do with competitors' passports being revoked.

Fleming was the two-time World champion and five-time US champion by the time the 1968 Winter Olympics rolled around. Fleming was the odds-on favorite to win the Olympic gold medal, and she did just that. A month later, she won her third World title.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life, I think Anya ment exactly Peggy rising to the occasion when the whole US team died in the accident. However, imagining anything like that happening again is too horrific; passports being revoked is far more benign.

screech

Final Flight
Well, I'll do this 2 ways: First eliminating who the ISU rankings consider to be the top 4 skaters, and then by my own picks.

CAN'T GO (World Rankings)
Men: Evgeni Plushenko, Jeffrey Buttle, Emanuel Sandhu, Brian Joubert
Ladies: Shizuka Arakawa, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri, Irina Slutskaya
Pairs: Petrova/Tikhonov, Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang, Obertas/Slavnov
Dance: Navka/Kostomarov, Denkova/Staviski, Belbin/Agosto, Delobel/Schoenfelder

OLYMPICS RESULTS
Men
1. Stephane Lambiel (breaking the streak of current world champs not winning)
2. Johnny Weir (even though I don't like the guy)
3. Chenjiang Li

Ladies:
1. Sasha Cohen
2. Michelle Kwan
3. Carolina Kostner

Pairs:
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Totmianina/Marinin
3. The German Team (can't remember their names)

Dance:
1. Grushina/Goncharov
2. Dubreil/Lauzon
3. Chait/Sakhnovski

~~~
CAN'T GO (MY top 4)
Men: Evgeni Plushenko, Brian Joubert, Stephane Lambiel, Johnny Weir
Ladies: Irina Slutskaya, Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan, Shizuka Arakawa
Pairs: Shen/Zhao, Totmianina/Marinin, Petrova/Tikhonov, Pang/Tong
Dance: Navka/Kostomarov, Belbin/Agosto, Denkova/Staviski, Delobel/Schoenfelder

OLYMPICS RESULTS
Men
1. Emanuel Sandhu (I seriously think he'll be brilliant in Torino)
2. Jeff Buttle
3. Chenjiang Li

Ladies
1. Carolina Kostner
2. Miki Ando
3. Joannie Rochette

Pairs
1. Zhang/Zhang
2. The German Team
3. Obertas/Slavnov

Dance
1. Grushina/Goncharov
2. Dubreil/Lauzon
3. Chait/Sakhnovski

cygnus

Rinkside
Kasey said:
ladies: How about Kostner, who actually WON the bronze at Worlds this year?

Kasey

Well, if Kostner's passport was revoked- she'd be home anyway. She wouldn't need a passport for Torino! :laugh:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
cygnus said:
Well, if Kostner's passport was revoked- she'd be home anyway. She wouldn't need a passport for Torino! :laugh:
Actually, following that logic, we'd need to exclude all other citizens of Shengen signatories - Joubert, Delobel & Schoenfelder... actually that's it :scratch:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
SkateFan4Life said:
Whoa....Goebel and Weiss are NOT among the top four in the world at this point. Weiss did not even qualify for the US World Team, and Goebel, who competed at Worlds, finished a distant 10th.

As for Peggy Fleming -- she came to the fore, perhaps a bit prematurely, and won the first of five successive US titles inn 1964 at the age of 15 due to the loss of the entire US World Team in the tragic plane crash in 1961. Her rise had nothing to do with competitors' passports being revoked.

Fleming was the two-time World champion and five-time US champion by the time the 1968 Winter Olympics rolled around. Fleming was the odds-on favorite to win the Olympic gold medal, and she did just that. A month later, she won her third World title.

Please, don't take this seriously. I said before that my opininion of the top four probably weren't yours, anyways. I did know about the plane crash. That's why I mentioned Peggy. This "what if" game is just for fun. :)

Last edited: