Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

Custom Title
    I find Sasha's skating unsteady. You never know if where she will trip and her falls look like Maria B (just all over the place).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Sasha's skating looks fragile and delicate but it takes a lot of strength to do what she does.
    She is simply stunning and that is how I'd describe her skating
    Not sure your description applies to Cohen, now Katia is the one who looks fragile, but has a lot of strength, wow quiet deep strong edges with speed.
    Last edited by gezando; 05-16-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Shoe Diva

hmmm...

not sure if I think fragile or brittle... more like a series of pretty positions with a dramatic splat somewhere. i just never get the feeling she's having fun, so the descriptive I'd give her is: "ambitious." now how's that for pc?

KW

Custom Title

Sasha

Exquisite is the word that comes to mind when I think of Sasha. We will never see her like again. I firmly believe that. No, her jumps are not solid all the time, and yes, she does two foot them periodically, but even her jumps can be absolutely beautiful. No, she doesn't skate with alot of emotion, but her form and line are so perfect I really don't notice it. It's like when Michelle skates all out with that in the music/moment passion that is so uniquely hers, I don't notice that her layback position isn't the best. Sasha and Michelle's outstanding qualities transcend the ntipciky as far as I am concerned. So Sasha isn't brittle or fragile or perfect, but she is exquisite, unique and mesmerizing.
    Last edited by kyla2; 05-17-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    I agree with the term exquisite for Cohen's skating. And she isn't even my favorite skating type

Custom Title

Sasha

Thanks Hockeyfan228.

My friend whom I mentioned in frame no.1 meant fragile in the sense of delicate (think porcelain) and as I said she favored Sasha above all the other skaters in the entire competitions.

Joe

Kly2, I liked your apples vs oranges comparison of Sasha and Michelle. You really can't compare the 2 since their styles are different.

Custom Title
    I don't think her skating is fragile or brittle,I think she can be a pretty powerful skater if she remained consistent.

Custom Title
    There are already exquisite skaters out there. One is the junior world champion. We will see skaters like Sasha and they may be a little more successful if consistency isn't a problem.

Custom Title

Sasha

There is absolutely no one in Sasha's league in terms of exquisite positions on the ice. She is a ballerina on the ice and there is NO ONE else who can do what she does. The only person who approaches in terms of overall artistry is Michelle and there we are talking about two completely different types of presentation. To not acknowledge Sasha's specialness is disingenuous to me. She is what she is and it's there for all the world to see. Just because I am a Michelle fan does not mean I shouldn't acknowledge Sasha's truly unique and dazzling gifts.

Banned
    I would have to answer wholeheartedly, yes, to the question of the thread. Her skating is exquisite and highly skilled in many ways. However her edges are shaky, her mind fragile, her jump technique has some serious chinks. She is the silver, bronze, and 4th place queen of skating, nobody of the current women has contended so often to win so little.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    There is absolutely no one in Sasha's league in terms of exquisite positions on the ice. She is a ballerina on the ice and there is NO ONE else who can do what she does. The only person who approaches in terms of overall artistry is Michelle and there we are talking about two completely different types of presentation. To not acknowledge Sasha's specialness is disingenuous to me. She is what she is and it's there for all the world to see. Just because I am a Michelle fan does not mean I shouldn't acknowledge Sasha's truly unique and dazzling gifts.
    I'm assuming you posted this in response to lavender's post?
    Just a thought ... why would what lavender said be considered disingenuous? It's fine that you have the opinion of Sasha that you do, but isn't someone else's differing opinion just as valid?
    And .. it didn't seem to me to me that she was not acknowledging Sasha's specialness ... maybe she just doesn't rate it as highly as you do. Different strokes for different folks.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21
    I would have to answer wholeheartedly, yes, to the question of the thread. Her skating is exquisite and highly skilled in many ways. However her edges are shaky, her mind fragile, her jump technique has some serious chinks. She is the silver, bronze, and 4th place queen of skating, nobody of the current women has contended so often to win so little.

Custom Title

Response

Yes, it was in response to Lavender and anyone else who refuses to acknowledge the essential beauty of Sasha's skating. You would have to be blind not to see it, or disingenuous. Take your pick. I didn't say Sasha was a perfect skater, but she IS a beautiful skater, and it is out there for everyone to see, period. It can't be argued to the contrary and be taken seriously. If there were all these other people out there who can deliver as awesomely a beautiful performance (yes, flawed but still beautiful) as Sasha can, I would love to know their names. You know Nymkf51, I really like the adult tone of people like Joesitz and RealtorGal who can appreciate all the skaters. That's why I post here. The joy of this site is that you can be, first, a Michelle fan and still acknowledge the very real qualities of the other skaters. Such as Irina's real courage in upping the ante while dealing with her own illness and her mother's illness. These things can't be denied no matter how much some people would like to do that. It is very refreshing that there is a place where things like this can be said and you won't have a 20 people telling you that your crazy. Only one or two.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast