Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

Banned
    I don't think she's brittle or fragile, just boring as h**l. A bunch of "look how flexible I am" moves and some "I'm a pwitty pwincess" poses that have NOTHING to do with her music, thats what I see. So she can point her toes, so can I, does that make me dazzling and breathtaking and mesmerizing? No. It just makes me a person who canpoint her toes. Sasha has no connection to her music, no emotion, she's rather inconsistant, her edging is poor, and she's not very powerful. To me, she's flat out boring.

OK, :boohoo:
    C'mon, let's get along.
    :sheesh:
    Think

Yay, Granny!!

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but no slamming anyone who doesn't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    I don't think she's brittle or fragile, just boring as h**l. A bunch of "look how flexible I am" moves and some "I'm a pwitty pwincess" poses that have NOTHING to do with her music, thats what I see. So she can point her toes, so can I, does that make me dazzling and breathtaking and mesmerizing? No. It just makes me a person who canpoint her toes. Sasha has no connection to her music, no emotion, she's rather inconsistant, her edging is poor, and she's not very powerful. To me, she's flat out boring.
    Not sure why you are so quick to dismiss the difficulty of pointed toes. One of the things that makes Sasha's skating so beautiful is the amazing tension she has in her body when she skates. Pointing the toes requires strength in the core and leg muscles to be able to maintain that tension, strength that other skaters lack.

As for the rest of your post, way to beat that dead horse by dragging out the same comments that Sasha's detractors have been posting for years while she has won 2 world silvers!

Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    That was because Angela was not there.

Custom Title
    The tension in Sasha's body when she skates is nothing compared to the tension of figure skating fans watching her skate. We all watch with bated breath, wondering when the mistake will come. And sadly, it always does.

Custom Title

Have you noticed, get a thread going about another skater and some people will have a comment but mention Sasha and almost everyone has an opinion. I'm amazed at how much passion there is for Sasha and against Sasha. All you have to do is say her name and comment one positive thing about her and the thread will never end. She is quite amazing!!!

Custom Title
    she has won 2 world silvers
    Definitely, and deserved the medals too. That means she has enough to place well in competition. As for the rest of dancindiva's post, that refers to the artistic part of skating. Appreciation of art is subjective, some may drool all over Coehn's beaver cleaver, find her amazing and some may find her bathroom breaks, yawn, flat out amazingly boring. Difference of opinion

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    Get over yourself, get a life and get lost.
    After decades of full time practice, you finally found the right Rx for yourself
    Last edited by gezando; 05-21-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreampixie
    I would say so. At Nats, I realized that the biggest jumps and best speed came from Michelle, which is kind of funny because compared to Shiz and Irina, I would say MK's jumps and speed is average.

I also remember seeing Fumie skate and how fast and flowing her skating was compared to Sasha's and thinking "Wow, Fumie should really be beating her more regularly." I was especially impressed with how fast she spins. Too bad Fumie is so inconsistent.
    ITA. MK used to be slow too, compared to e.g. Tara, and Nicole. It took her years to improve to the current speed, she has very quiet edges since the beginning though. I think some Russian skaters like Katia (who is so slim) have such power in strokes and edging has something to do with their practice in outdoor rinks.

IMO, some American coaches emphasize more on getting the jumps early even sacrificing technique. (look at all the flutzing) Some American coaches emphasize the pointed toes, and sacrifice teaching some of the very important basics. IMO Dick and Peggy's constant gushing over the pointed toes, and ignoring to talk about the skating flaws are not helping.
    Last edited by gezando; 05-21-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    No, I definetly don't think she's weak or brittle. She's been getting stronger since she went back to Mr.Nicks. I also think being home, she'll have more concentration and less homesickness.

I know what it feels like to have bad concentration. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger, and then we realized it was OCD when I was a little older. There are so many things I love to do, but sometimes it's hard to keep focus. For example, homework would take forever to finish. My point is, maybe Sasha has a form of ADD or something else, because her lack of concentration is pretty consistent. I know meds help, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. So, if she took something(assuming she has a concentration disorder) maybe it would work wonders for her. :o

Custom Title
    I don't know what difference between ADD and OCD. But I read somewhere that as a gymnastics she had problem to keep focus on. That's why her Mom encourage her switch to skating for afraid of her losing concentration on the equipments where more serious injury would occure.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    I'm amazed at how much passion there is for Sasha and against Sasha. All you have to do is say her name and comment one positive thing about her and the thread will never end. She is quite amazing!!!
    I agree! It is remarkable how some skaters seem to be lightning rods for attention and opinion, while others fly under the radar their whole careers.

I also understand where Kyla is coming from. I feel the same way about my fave (Michelle). To me, if anyone (judges, for instance) can't see the overall Kwanliness of it all -- well, then you are just being deliberately and criminally perverse, LOL.

Mathman

Skating enthusiast

Fragile or brittle?

Simply put, Sasha's skating is wonderful, lovely and she has beautiful positions. Her skating, in competition long programs, often has mistakes in the jumps.

It is as simple as this. She is a wonderful skater and athlete who makes mistakes on jumps.

No one is perfect in any athletic endeavor. Sasha may not be the best because she makes errors on jumps. Never-the-less, she is a world class figure skater.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Not sure why you are so quick to dismiss the difficulty of pointed toes. One of the things that makes Sasha's skating so beautiful is the amazing tension she has in her body when she skates. Pointing the toes requires strength in the core and leg muscles to be able to maintain that tension, strength that other skaters lack.

As for the rest of your post, way to beat that dead horse by dragging out the same comments that Sasha's detractors have been posting for years while she has won 2 world silvers!

Ummmmmm I'm not so impressed by her pointed toes because I've only been skating 2.5 years and I can point my toes just as well as she does. If little old pre-bronze me can do it, then I'm not going to be so impressed by some big-time skater who can do it.

I never said anything about Sasha's silver medals, and I won't say she didn't deserve them. I was not discussing or debating her results, just my own views on her presentation and how I feel about it. So go on and rock on about her silver medals, and I'll go watch someone else who I find just a bit more interesting.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=CzarinaAnya]No, I definetly don't think she's weak or brittle. She's been getting stronger since she went back to Mr.Nicks. I also think being home, she'll have more concentration and less homesickness.

QUOTE]

I have yet to see the improvements people gush about. This was her worst performance at Worlds. She didn't skate clean in ANY portion of the competition. I'm amazed she was silver and not bronze. Her 2 footed jumps are not acceptable for someone that is a 2 time silver medallist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    I have yet to see the improvements people gush about. This was her worst performance at Worlds. She didn't skate clean in ANY portion of the competition. I'm amazed she was silver and not bronze. Her 2 footed jumps are not acceptable for someone that is a 2 time silver medallist.
    Definitely!

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast