Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    IIRC, didn't she make good strides with Robin on her edges and stroking? I think I remember Robin specifically working on that with her.
    Of course, then she left Robin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    Sure lets blame the coaches again for Sasha's shortcomings. Sasha has been criticized for several years for her poor edges, I find it very hard to believe that if her fans noticed it, then her coaches could not have. If Sasha really does not have deep and great edges, then it IS her fault and she should work on it instead of disguising it with her gumby moves.

Sasha has been criticized for the poor edges? By whom, some rabid anti-Cohen fans? Sasha's been awarded top marks by judges for her wonderful spirals and unmatched spins -- the best criteria to asses the quality of her edges. That COE spiral she did on the COI tour, straight into forward Charlotte on a curve -- that was a move to die for, amazing difficulty! C'mon folks, it's pretty easy to tell when a skater doesn't have a good control of the blade -- he/she would be stuck with the same kind of a spiral sequence for ages, and won't be able to master a half-decent spin.

Ice Angel
    Teaching edges and stroking is harder than teaching jumps. Since figures were eliminated and the jumps almost became the only signature of skating ability, you mostly see coaches grabing a cut of coffee leaning on the board to teach jumps. Only a few great coaches still following their students around the rink telling them how to use inside/outside edges. My daughter has skated for 8 years, and I only remeber a few times her coaches were on ice teaching her moves. Nowadays figure skating gradually became a dance+jump-on-ice sport rather than edges+jump-on-ice sport. Not many skaters have true good edges. For male skaters, I think Ryan Jahnke is the only one who has great edges. For lady skater, Dorothy Hamill has the edges, but she is a professional.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Cohen's appearance is fragile (slight built, very skinny), but the way she moves is quite powerful. But rather than "fragile" or "brittle", shallow is the word I'd use to describe her skating, and I don't just mean her edges.

Custom Title
    Shine: "Cohen's appearance is fragile (slight built, very skinny), but the way she moves is quite powerful. But rather than "fragile" or "brittle", shallow is the word I'd use to describe her skating, and I don't just mean her edges."

That's it in a nutshell!

Custom Title

It Really Amazes Me...

It really amazes me that so many people who TRULY know figure skating (like Olympic Gold medalists) admire Sasha's skating tremendously. I mean what do they know??? Here we have experts that describe her skating as shallow and not balletic (you've got to be kidding). Gee, who should I believe? I think I will believe my own eyes and I wish in my dreams I could skate like Sasha.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    It really amazes me that so many people who TRULY know figure skating (like Olympic Gold medalists) admire Sasha's skating tremendously. I mean what do they know??? Here we have experts that describe her skating as shallow and not balletic (you've got to be kidding). Gee, who should I believe? I think I will believe my own eyes and I wish in my dreams I could skate like Sasha.

I was going to stay away from posting... but what the hey! I agree with you, and sometimes I think the opinion some people have on Sasha has little to do with her skating (not entirely, mind you, but to some extend). We have to call things like they are rather than cast some ironic phrases and double-meaning words. Some people like her (both her personality and her skating) and some people don't, and usually a small group just take away the good qualities Sasha's skating has just because they don't like her, for whatever reasons they may have (you are entitle to like whomever you want, of course). I am no expert, nor do I intend to be, but IMO Sasha does have grace and her own style. Can she improve? Of course! I think there are parts on Sasha's skating that need improvement, and as for her edges I have seen changes in the last 2 or 3 years, they don't look that shallow to me anymore.

As I said before, the fragile adjective denotes a fine piece of sculptured porceline. It is not a put down of Sasha, On the contrary, it is praise.

Unless you've seen ballets, it is not the adjective to use with skating. There is such a thing as balletic line which was introduced by Tenley Albright many moons ago. Most skaters have balletic line nowadays and Sasha seems to accentuate hers more than others. Why not? It's one of many, many styles that figure skaters develop personally.

Joe

Custom Title
    Unless you've seen ballets, it is not the adjective to use with skating.
    I agree in general, ballet is about dance and movement, not just lines. I don't think balletic applies to skating in general, OTOH, Oksana, and Healy do have wonderful movement on the ice, and that has nothing to do with lines. I also agree with you prior assessment (hope I am not misquoting you) that Cohen looks like a ballerina practicng and stretching at the barre. (not when she is moving or skating)

s such a thing as balletic line which was introduced by Tenley Albright many moons ago. Most skaters have balletic line nowadays and Sasha seems to accentuate hers more than others. Why not? It's one of many, many styles that figure skaters develop personally
    Line is not the same as the movement. Many gymnasts have the line too.

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    Here we have experts that describe her skating as shallow and not balletic (you've got to be kidding). Gee, who should I believe? I think I will believe my own eyes and I wish in my dreams I could skate like Sasha.
    No one said you should not gush drool and dream about Cohen. What is the use to throw a tantrum when others disagree with you Yeah Cohen is not balletic but gymnastic to some, so...That is just difference of opinion. In the real world ballerinas and gymnasts are different but equally valued. Dick called Sarah Hughes, Nam, and SC baby ballerinas, so if you take BUTTon as gospel truth, she is one among many. Cohen is one exquisite skater among many, that is also Lavendar's positiion earlier in this thread, and evidently that is not good enough for you,
    Last edited by gezando; 05-30-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Custom Title
    Since figures were eliminated .... Only a few great coaches still following their students around the rink telling them how to use inside/outside edges. .. Nowadays figure skating gradually became a dance+jump-on-ice sport rather than edges+jump-on-ice sport. Not many skaters have true good edges. For lady skater, Dorothy Hamill has the edges, but she is a professional.
    You have a point about figures training ->good edges. In addition to Dorothy, I will add Sato, Kristi, Bobek, the Kwan sisters. All these skaters have figures training. Recently at Marshall broadcast, I could hear the scratch scratch sand paper rubbing noise of edges of the skater that almost drowned out Paux des deux in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by shine
    shallow is the word I'd use to describe her skating, and I don't just mean her edges.
    I think some skaters have much more depth than others, and I agree Cohen does not even begin to approach the kind of depth that e.g. Kristi has (example her Passages of the Ink Dark Moon program, just pure edges, and emotional depth skated over a female voice reciting a Japanese poem). Katia's celebration of a life program, and Ota's Daphnis and Chloe are some other examples of depth
    Last edited by gezando; 05-30-2005 at 04:33 PM.

About edges, it's kind of unfair to compare Sasha at her present level of accomplishment with skaters like Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Yuka Sato or Katerina Gordeeva. These are all World or Olympic champions who went on from there to refine and perfect their craft over long careers as professional artists.

MM

Custom Title

Balletic Line

A rose is still a rose no matter what you call it. O.K. just for the sake of not arguing with you, we will call it balletic line. I would bet your life and mine that many skaters would trade their "edges" for Sasha's "balletic line." I am not GUSHING about Sasha, only stating an opinion. Sadly, I think one of the posters above (Hikaru?) is right, that people can't separate their dislike of Sasha personally, from what she puts out their on the ice. I got beyond that a long time ago. She deserves our respect for what she has been able to accomplish. She has mine.

Ice Angel
    Yuka Sato does have very good edges and flow. Sorry that I did not mention about her. But I definitely think Nicole BobeK has lousy edges. Her jumps were also far from what textbook said. Kristy and Kwan sisters did learn some figures, but their edges are still far from the great.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    As I said before, the fragile adjective denotes a fine piece of sculptured porceline. It is not a put down of Sasha, On the contrary, it is praise.
    I'm sorry Joe, I don't know if you were referring to my previous post , but it was my mistake as I didn't clarify very well; I didn't mean that by using the word "fragile" you were trying to put Sasha down. I was referring actually to what Shine had said earlier: "shallow is the word I'd use to describe her skating, and I don't just mean her edges."

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Unless you've seen ballets, it is not the adjective to use with skating. There is such a thing as balletic line which was introduced by Tenley Albright many moons ago. Most skaters have balletic line nowadays and Sasha seems to accentuate hers more than others. Why not? It's one of many, many styles that figure skaters develop personally.
    ITA

Custom Title
    The only thing I've ever griped about in regards to Cohen has more to do with her performance level. Nearly all of her technical elements are well done and beautiful to watch, but at times it seems there is a certain disconnect with the audience. It almost seems like she is skating in a fog at times....though, a beautiful fog it is! Kwan, at times, suffers from a similar problem. She sometimes appears flat and uninteresting. Having said that, it seems Sasha is getting more and more comfortable and allowing this passion to shine through in her performances far more than she used to. Her 2004 Worlds "Malaguena" SP performance was excellent. I was so happy to see her let go a bit and allow her fiery personality to carry her through. This year (even though it wasn't the best season for her) there were so many moments where it seemed like she was genuinely enjoying her time on the ice. That is what I have always wanted to see from Sasha. She has everything else, but I always wanted just a bit more feeling. She is coming along very nicely in this department and I see no reason why she shouldn't continue to improve.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast