Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nymkfan51
    IIRC, didn't she make good strides with Robin on her edges and stroking? I think I remember Robin specifically working on that with her.
    Of course, then she left Robin.
    IIRC, she started improving edge when she was with TT. TT had commented (read in one of her interview from FSU) that before Sasha came to her, her skating is not in the sense of true skating, it's one gymastic move after another on ice wiht shallow edges. She had worked with Sasha on overall skating, edges, flows, etc. It did show in her skating at 2003 season. But, IMO, TT's jam packed CoP friendly programs the next season made it difficult to see the obviouse flow and edges improving in Sasha's programs. It was until Robin stripped the SwanLake to almost bear bone that Sasha's improving on edge and flows was shown so obviousely....It was TT laid the foundation of improvement. IMO.

And besides edges and stroking those things took time to improving....Her edge improving was so obvious to those who wittnessed her skating in person before she left Cal for TT and first back to Cal with John N....So I've heard.
    Last edited by mzheng; 05-31-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Ice Angel
    TT might have worked Sasha's edges and artistic sides, but Sasha's jumps got much worse while she was there.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2
    I would bet your life and mine that many skaters would trade their "edges" for Sasha's "balletic line."
    You don't have what it takes to bet others life, your own?? questionable?? Are you sure Yukina Ota wants Sasha's line? Is there a possibiity that Cohen may want Ota's balletic arms? Are you sure Irina wants to trade her edges with Cohen's lines, or are you sure that Cohen may not want to have Irina's edges? This line stuff is way overblown by American commentators like Dick and Peggy. (BTW, if you want to take Dick and Peggy's comments as gospel truth, you have to take their gush and their not so gush about Cohen. Even Dick talked about Cohen's flutz, and Peggy called her the best practice skater) I think in other countries e.g. Japan, skaters do not crave lines, young Japanese skaters look up to Midori, Yuka and Shizuka as role models Are you sure Mao wants to just concentrate her training re: lines.

I am not GUSHING about Sasha, only stating an opinion.
    Then please respect that others do not agree with your opinion.

Sadly, I think one of the posters above (Hikaru?) is right, that people can't separate their dislike of Sasha personally,
    Actually, I think a Cohen fan like you is way exaggerating the importance of lines to elevate Cohen to the "most exquisite" "the best" If that is not gushing, I don't know what is. It is Ok for you to gush, but don't attack others for recognizing Cohen is one good skater among many, or one exquisite skater among many.

I got beyond that a long time ago.
    Really
    Last edited by gezando; 05-31-2005 at 07:35 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    About edges, it's kind of unfair to compare Sasha at her present level of accomplishment with skaters like Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Yuka Sato or Katerina Gordeeva. These are all World or Olympic champions who went on from there to refine and perfect their craft over long careers as professional artists.

MM
    Who is comparing Cohen's edges to Katia's edges? But since you brought it up How about a 15 y/o Tara, a 16 y/o Sarah Hughes, how about a 15 y/o Katia?? How about a 16 y/o Carolina? How about a 17 y/o Irina? How about a 15 y/o Oksana? a 19 y/o Fumie, a 18 y/o Yuka?
    Last edited by gezando; 05-31-2005 at 07:29 PM.

Custom Title

gezando

I don't care whether you like Sasha as a skater or as a person or not. What you say when you post, reflects on you, not me. I would happily bet your life on just about anything.

Custom Title
    It really amazes me that so many people who TRULY know figure skating (like Olympic Gold medalists) admire Sasha's skating tremendously. I mean what do they know??? Here we have experts that describe her skating as shallow and not balletic (you've got to be kidding). Gee, who should I believe? I think I will believe my own eyes and I wish in my dreams I could skate like Sasha.
    Kyla2,
    You're right on--I totally agree with you. I watch old videos of Sasha's all the time and listen to the praises of Dick and Peggy not to mention Terry Gannon's choked up replys. It is incrediable to me that some people don't appreciate how amazingly beautiful her skating is, weather or not she is their favorite. It is probably the fear factor for their particular favorite skater that causes so much criticism. We all want our favorites to win but Sasha is put down more than most other skaters. No skater is perfect - they can all use improvements in certain areas. Some people think if you don't fall or stumble that the program is perfect regardless if the elements performed were perfect or not, I just don't happen to see it that way. I'm with Dick and Peggy and you--she is awesome.

Banned
    It really amazes me that so many people who TRULY know figure skating (like Olympic Gold medalists) admire Sasha's skating tremendously. I mean what do they know??? Here we have experts that describe her skating as shallow and not balletic (you've got to be kidding). Gee, who should I believe? I think I will believe my own eyes and I wish in my dreams I could skate like Sasha.
    Hmm... so you want to fall on your butt each time you compete?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBitch
    Hmm... so you want to fall on your butt each time you compete?
    Hey , it worked for Kristi Yamaguchi and Nancy Kerrigan (her only clean LP was at the 1994 Games and she won 1992 bronze with a particularly ugly program whose only redeeming quality was the Vera Wang dress).

Custom Title
    I would happily bet your life on just about anything.
    Kyla you don't have what it takes to bet on others life period. Besides what you wrote reflects on you, who are you? Someone who throws a tantrum when she does not get her way Lets see what yor wrote, when others do not gush about Cohen the way you wanted them to you accused them as uber Kwan fans. Then you admit as being an uber Kwan fan. When others disagreed with you and refused to bow down to Cohen you list your cv and insult them by infering mental illness. Happily bet others life on anything? have 29 - 30 years of experience of being trigger happy
    Last edited by gezando; 06-01-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Hey , it worked for Kristi Yamaguchi
    KIristi? She hands down on a jump at the olympics, did not fall on her butt. Kristi is one of the most consistent skaters in her competitive days

Custom Title

gezando

You're over the top, as usual. But I was warned about that when I first started posting here, by someone I shall leave nameless. You are certainly living up to your reputation.

Custom Title
    You're over the top, as usual. But I was warned about that when I first started posting here, by someone I shall leave nameless.
    Sure you are not the one who is over the top "as usual"? I mean talk about happily bet others life on anything (given that you post your cv here, told us what you do) if that is not over the top, I don't know what is I will play along and proced with this line of thought that your "nameless" buddy communicated to you, not interested in the identity of your "nameless" friend, IMO you are over the top, so your buddy sent you a PM, PM means private, and you evidently can't keep things private.
    Last edited by gezando; 06-01-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Easy Ladies - The topic is about Sasha's style. Either you like or you don't. Over and Out!!

Joe

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Kyla2,
    You're right on--I totally agree with you. I watch old videos of Sasha's all the time and listen to the praises of Dick and Peggy not to mention Terry Gannon's choked up replys. It is incrediable to me that some people don't appreciate how amazingly beautiful her skating is, weather or not she is their favorite. It is probably the fear factor for their particular favorite skater that causes so much criticism. We all want our favorites to win but Sasha is put down more than most other skaters. No skater is perfect - they can all use improvements in certain areas. Some people think if you don't fall or stumble that the program is perfect regardless if the elements performed were perfect or not, I just don't happen to see it that way. I'm with Dick and Peggy and you--she is awesome.

No, it's not that I don't appreciate how "amazing beautiful her skating is", it's just that I DO grow sick and tired of the portrayl, by so many of her fans, of Cohen being the most amazingly gifted artist on ice ever, when in fact there are so many other skaters whom I consider much superior in that aspect yet are much more underhyped.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Kyla2,
    Maybe some people don't appreciate how "beautiful" her skating is because not everyone sees it as beautiful. To me, beautiful skating is deep, steady, quiet edges, total confidence in what one is doing, real connection to the music and with the audience. Sasha's lines are beautful and her spin positions are nice, but overall her skating does not meet my own criteria of beautiful skating. That's not to say that I think everyone should use these criteria, they are just the things I like to see when I watch skating, and that I try to incorporate into my own skating.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast