Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shine

No, it's not that I don't appreciate how "amazing beautiful her skating is", it's just that I DO grow sick and tired of the portrayl, by so many of her fans, of Cohen being the most amazingly gifted artist on ice ever, when in fact there are so many other skaters whom I consider much superior in that aspect yet are much more underhyped.

Sasha's fans should be able to Express their feelings about Sasha without fans of other skaters Knocking their opinion. I could care less who you like but I don't like all the Vicious Comparison. Her skating moves me and I don't need someone else telling me I'm stupid for liking her the best.
    You have a right to like whoever you want and so do I. Really, no offence intended

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dancindiva03
    Maybe some people don't appreciate how "beautiful" her skating is because not everyone sees it as beautiful. To me, beautiful skating is deep, steady, quiet edges, total confidence in what one is doing, real connection to the music and with the audience. Sasha's lines are beautful and her spin positions are nice, but overall her skating does not meet my own criteria of beautiful skating. That's not to say that I think everyone should use these criteria, they are just the things I like to see when I watch skating, and that I try to incorporate into my own skating.
    I don't care if you like her but I do and she meets my criteria and I want the world to know it so you will probably hear it again. Be honest, wouldn't you love to have Sasha's extension and spins in your skating or are perfect edges all that count to you? There are a lot of people, like me, who connect with Sasha's skating. That seems to bother people and thats what I object to.
    Best wishes in your skating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Sasha's fans should be able to Express their feelings about Sasha without fans of other skaters Knocking their opinion. I could care less who you like but I don't like all the Vicious Comparison. Her skating moves me and I don't need someone else telling me I'm stupid for liking her the best.
    You have a right to like whoever you want and so do I. Really, no offence intended
    And Michelle fans, Irina fans, Rochette fans, Kirk fans, etc - should be able to express their feelings without fans of Sasha or other skaters knocking their opinion.

Color me baffled. I have read all 9 pages of this thread. The original poster posed the question about whether Sasha is brittle or fragile. Some called her the most exquisite skater ever. Others disagreed. I have not read one out-of-line comment (well the mental illness one was a bit ???). Nor have I seen anyone being called stupid for liking Sasha the best. This thread is strangely out of proportion in terms of sentiment from Sasha fans BASED ON THIS THREAD ALONE. I think the sensititivity from other threads on other boards where over the top Sasha bashing occurs is spilling into this discussion. If you read this thread in an of itself, the debate has been conducted in a fairly reasonable way that hasn't even come close to "viscious comparisons". I swear this thread is the equivalent of one group of people playing darts, and the other group responding with machine guns.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skate Sandee
    And Michelle fans, Irina fans, Rochette fans, Kirk fans, etc - should be able to express their feelings without fans of Sasha or other skaters knocking their opinion.

I have not read one out-of-line comment (well the mental illness one was a bit ???)

I swear this thread is the equivalent of one group of people playing darts, and the other group responding with machine guns.

I don't recall saying anything about a particular skater but I agree that everyone has a right to like, be moved, etc, by any skater they choose. I just don't particularly like Sasha getting hammered unjustly. After all she is the World silver medalist so she has something the judges see and like.

I don't get the darts and machine gun statement.
    Do you feel the mental illness statement was the machine gun???

Sasha is the prettiest skater this side of Yukina Ota. All performers have their strong points. To me, Sasha's are the exquisite (I'm not afraid to say balletic, although I don't dance myself) positions of her upper body, and the extension which she attains on her spiral, spins and moves in the field. IMHO, her jumps and edges are good but not outstanding.

With respect to "musicality." relating to the audience, and all that, I think that falls into the "eye of the beholder" category. She is looked up to and admired by thousands of little girls, and I have no doubt she is the imaginary girl-friend of more than a few little boys. Two world silver medals is not too shabby. She has as good a chance as anyone in Torino.

As for me, Michelle owns my heart; but Go Sasha!

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-02-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't use "brittle" to describe her skating. However, from what I observe, it might be a good word to describe her mindset when she competes. It seems that she goes out with a rigid plan. It's like she's thinking "I am going to do exactly this or that." The problem is she does have some technical flaws that keep her from following her plan. Her mental approach doesn't allow the flexibilty needed to recover. IMO, her concentration doesn't break, it shatters. So, brittle is a good word for it.

Of course, I am not a mindreader and armchair psychology is just a cheap hobby of mine.

I think Sasha has many beautiful qualities and I really hope she has the skate of her life at Torino. It would be a joy to watch Sasha skate a program that does justice to her talent. That would be a thing of beauty without doubt.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Sasha is the prettiest skater this side of Yukina Ota. All performers have their strong points. To me, Sasha's are the exquisite (I'm not afraid to say balletic, although I don't dance myself) positions of her upper body, and the extension which she attains on her spiral, spins and moves in the field. IMHO, her jumps and edges are good but not outstanding.

With respect to "musicality." relating to the audience, and all that, I think that falls into the "eye of the beholder" category. She is looked up to and admired by thousands of little girls, and I have no doubt she is the imaginary girl-friend of more than a few little boys. Two world silver medals is not too shabby. She has as good a chance as anyone in Torino.

As for me, Michelle owns my heart; but Go Sasha!

Mathman
    Mathman,
    You are so endearing--I'm so glad you are a moderator here.
    Sasha is my favorite but I hope both Michelle and Sasha have the best skate of their life in Turino, the judging is the best ever, and everyone is satisfied with the results. <G> It would be such a treat to see them both skate well and be satisified with their performances.
    My heart goes out to Michelle for trying again and come what may, I hope she has fun, makes a fortune, and is satisfied with whatever medal she gets. She is definately a champion no matter what happens.

Mathman,
    You are so endearing--I'm so glad you are a moderator here.
    Sasha is my favorite but I hope both Michelle and Sasha have the best skate of their life in Turino, the judging is the best ever, and everyone is satisfied with the results. <G> It would be such a treat to see them both skate well and be satisified with their performances.
    My heart goes out to Michelle for trying again and come what may, I hope she has fun, makes a fortune, and is satisfied with whatever medal she gets. She is definately a champion no matter what happens.
    Peggy, I have enjoyed reading your posts in this thread. I agree with you that Sasha is disproportionately criticized on this board. I don't know of another skater that inspires posters to repeatedly explain why they don't like that skater's style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    Peggy, I have enjoyed reading your posts in this thread. I agree with you that Sasha is disproportionately criticized on this board. I don't know of another skater that inspires posters to repeatedly explain why they don't like that skater's style.
    Now there is one, MK got far more criticizing than Cohen from some. I agree what skatesandee said.

What I think would be great, and I can't think anyone would disagree, I would be so excited if everyone skated their very best and the judges would give everyone their fair scores.

Again why can't anyone learn to spell DEFINITELY. No a's!!!

Banned
    I don't care if you like her but I do and she meets my criteria and I want the world to know it so you will probably hear it again. Be honest, wouldn't you love to have Sasha's extension and spins in your skating or are perfect edges all that count to you? There are a lot of people, like me, who connect with Sasha's skating. That seems to bother people and thats what I object to.
    Best wishes in your skating.
    I'll be honest and tell you that according to my coach, my extension is just as good as Sasha's already. But I'll attribute that to my 18 years of ballet training prior to taking up skating! My spins aren't quite up to par, but hey I've only been skating 2.5 years so I guess that's okay. Did you bother to read my post, perfect edges are NOT the only think that count to me. But they are very important. But, I like ice dance better than freestyle so thats probably why edges are important to me. Good for you that you love Sasha, go on and tell the world. Its your opinion and that's fine with me. But don't think I'll ever change my opinion on her.

Custom Title
    Brad, Thank You!!! I'm sure there will be some disagreement with your statement but it is the truth.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    Again why can't anyone learn to spell DEFINITELY. No a's!!!
    You got me!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    . To me, Sasha's are the exquisite ...
    Actually no one in this thread said Cohen is not exquisite, but some uber Cohen fan has to insist that she is the most exquisite, and when others described her as one exquisite among many that is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mathman
    Sasha is the prettiest skater this side of Yukina Ota
    Stating that as a fact or opinion. Many disagree with you and think Cohen is no where near pretty as .....In fact according to a current GS poll, Tanith is kicking Cohen's butt

Anyway what does being "pretty" has to do with ice skating a sports? Not surprise that a lot of my friends do not consider ice skating a sports, just beauty pageant on ice. If "pretty" is so important then, IMO Mai Asada should win Japanese nationals, and get a spot in the olys team, and she does not even have to skate, and be given an olypic gold.
    Last edited by gezando; 06-02-2005 at 11:57 PM.

Custom Title
    . I agree with you that Sasha is disproportionately criticized on this board. I don't know of another skater that inspires posters to repeatedly explain why they don't like that skater's style.
    Thanks for the Read any current pre and post 02 olympics Hughes threads? Pre olympics 2002, a GS poster Sashagold wished "Hughes and Kwan fall and break something"

How about Weiss.

Michelle Kwan is the only skater who had the honor of having threads here at GS dedicated to "Anyone but Kwan to win nationals 2003" At the top three thread, a poster stated she hates to see Kwan http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...9631&page=2win.
    Last edited by gezando; 06-02-2005 at 11:33 PM.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast