SOS - Does anyone speak / write both German and English? | Golden Skate

SOS - Does anyone speak / write both German and English?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I am hoping for some help communicating directly with the German SV organization which is the primary registrar of German bred German Shepherd Dogs. Working through the applicable US organizations (United Schutzhund Clubs of America and Working Dog Association of America) has become very frustrating, and I'm hoping someone can help me communicate by phone to the German SV, or compose an e-mail in German requesting status of my dog's paperwork under the SV system.

If you can help, please PM me!!!!!! I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! It's so great to be part of an international community here.

DG

sk8m8

Final Flight
Heya Doggiegirlie,

Just a quick fix suggestion. go to bablefish.com or do a google on online and find a english to german translator. You can type a short email and explain (through the translator) that you want to contact them and is there someone there that writes English. I can almost assure you that there will be able to; they tend to study more English in Europe than we study foriegn languages there.

If you keep the email short, the translator will be more understandable. Remember it uses literal translations, so if you write too long a letter you get something akin to the strange but facinating "Interviews" from Russian language interviews that are sometimes posted here.

Good luck, your sk8m8, mark

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Sk8M8

I appreciate the internet translation suggestion, but it won't work. It's probably a bit like figure skating, where certain terms just don't translate well. I'm hoping the person at the United Schutzhund Clubs of America will call the German SV as promised, first thing tomorrow morning. Makes me crazy, but that's the way it is in my dog world. :(

DG

Jhar55

Medalist
Doggygirl, might try you local high school or community college if German is an offered class the teacher might be of some help.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I appreciate the internet translation suggestion, but it won't work. It's probably a bit like figure skating, where certain terms just don't translate well.

And that is exactly why I didn't jump to volunteer. Yes - I speak and write English and German (being German and having learnt English at school and university) - but my knowledge about dogs is VERY rudimental I have to say. So I saw no sense in trying to translate something into German I probably won't understand properly in the first place.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks for the suggestion sk8m8!

Here is what I wrote in English, and how it translated through Babblfish. I kept it simple. Tdnuva, I'm hoping this is simple enough where you might be able to confirm that this is proper...

Hello. My name is XX. I have a question about papers for Kimba vom Mittelwest. I do not speak German. Can someone help me in English? Thank you.

Hallo. Mein Name ist XX. Ich habe eine Frage über Papiere

für Kimba vom Mittelwest. Ich spreche nicht Deutsches. Kann jemand

mir auf englisch helfen? Danke.

Thanks!!

DG

tdnuva

On the Ice
Babelfish was almost perfect - I only change one thing:

Hallo. Mein Name ist XX. Ich habe eine Frage über Papiere für Kimba vom Mittelwest. Ich spreche kein deutsch. Kann jemand mir auf englisch helfen? Danke.

And then you might add:
(dieser Text wurde für mich übersetzt)

as - this text was translated for me - so that they don't wonder why you can't speak german but still are able to write a letter in the language ;)

brad640

On the Ice
Doggygirl, you might ask them if they speak English. Almost every German I have ever met spoke excellent English and did not conversing in English.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks tdnuva!!

I really appreciate your finishing touches.

Brad, I strongly suspect one or more people in their office speak English. I'm just hoping that a german opening will help the e-mail get routed to the right person.

Thanks!!
Beth

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks!

The strategy of opening with a simple message in German followed by a more detailed request in English worked. I got a response this morning. Unfortunately, there is yet ANOTHER frustrating administrative glitch with my dog's paperwork, but at least now I know what's going on.

I appreciate the help!!

DG