Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GP Schedules Up

Custom Title

GP Schedules Up

I hope that this link copies OK:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

Welcome back, Peter and Naomi! and CoC should be very exciting!

average opinionated skate fan
    This should be GREAT. I've noticed that most skaters are only opting for two events. That will mean a lot of movement and even more excitement as the GP Final nears. Great to see the variety of names too.

I'm happy to see that my 'prediction' from another thread is true...MK does the 1st and 3rd ( I said two north american events) this gives her a week from the end of SA to the beginning of CoC, smart move. This will give her time to present a "CoP friendly" program and continue to work on it before the culmination of Nats, Olys, Worlds.

Also wonderful to see Stephane on the schedule. He's flown so low under the radar because of injuries these past years, it will be good to see how he weathers a competitive season. I can hardly wait.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8m8
    This should be GREAT. I've noticed that most skaters are only opting for two events. That will mean a lot of movement and even more excitement as the GP Final nears. Great to see the variety of names too.

I'm happy to see that my 'prediction' from another thread is true...MK does the 1st and 3rd ( I said two north american events) this gives her a week from the end of SA to the beginning of CoC, smart move. This will give her time to present a "CoP friendly" program and continue to work on it before the culmination of Nats, Olys, Worlds.

Also wonderful to see Stephane on the schedule. He's flown so low under the radar because of injuries these past years, it will be good to see how he weathers a competitive season. I can hardly wait.
    The GP rules (and selection procedures) have changed a bit for the coming season. "Seeded skaters" (i.e. the top 6) no longer exist -- all skaters who finished in the top 12 at Worlds get to have 2 GP events -- and no one can have 3. The "non scoring" event is a thing of the past. Also skaters who finished 1-3 cannot be assigned to the same events; ditto for skaters who finished in places 4-6. I think this was to try to make the fields a bit more even. Not sure if it really succeeded in all cases. I'd say that Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka (the past 3 World Champions) would make for a very heavy ladies field at Cup of China -- assuming that they all show up. There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5
    ... There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.
    I know in November of 2004, the ISU issued a circular letter
    (no. 592) to the federations, warning them and "through [them] the skaters", that disciplinary action (including possibly being banned from Olys) would be taken against skaters who don't do the GP. Will Michelle have a choice about doing the GP (assuming she wants to do Olys)?

Go NJ Devils
    Well, well. The return of Lang/Tchernyshev at Skate America.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan
    I know in November of 2004, the ISU issued a circular letter
    (no. 592) to the federations, warning them and "through [them] the skaters", that disciplinary action (including possibly being banned from Olys) would be taken against skaters who don't do the GP. Will Michelle have a choice about doing the GP (assuming she wants to do Olys)?
    I didn't remember that letter mentioning anything about the Olypmics. I also seem to recall that it was specifically about skaters who opted out of Grand Prix events but then skated in other competitions or shows DURING THE GP SERIES TIME FRAME. I don't think that the ISU could force any skater to compete in the GP -- and it would be very interesting to say the least to see them try to "ban" any skater who had qualified for the Olympics through their national federation's established route. So, yes, I think that Michelle (and the rest) do have a choice -- unless the ISU executive council has passed some new resolution/rule about GP participation. I guess anything is possible, considering some of the ISU's past actions.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228
    Well, well. The return of Lang/Tchernyshev at Skate America.
    Yay! Love this team!!! Is this about sending competitive teams to the Olympics since US has more spots than competitive teams or are L/T skating to win?

KW

TriGirl Rinkside
    I so hope Michelle competes her two events. I know she's got to do what is best for her, but I can't help but think that she really needs these two competitions if she's aiming for Torino.

The Tough Men's Division

No news of Evgeny?

If I had the money this is where I would go:

Othman in Canada and France
    Buttle in Canada and France
    Joubert in America and France
    Lambiel in China and France

Johnny in Canada and Russia
    Li in China and Russia
    KLIMKIN in Russia (only one spot)

Seems like France will be the hottest contest. With Canada and Russia of much interest.

Joe

PS. I hope they all show up injury free.

Hey, Tharrtell!!!!! Where've you been? Good to see you back.

BTW, Doggygirl was asking in the cafe if someone could help her translate something into German.

Mathman

The Ladies Out for Gold

Place your bets on these 6 races.

Cohen, Kwan and Liang in America

Rochette, Poykio, Kostner and Yan Liu in Canada

Liu, Arakawa, Asada, Kwan in China

Rochette, Arakawa, Asad, Cohen, Meisner in France

Poykio, Ando, Slutskaya, Hughes, Kirk in Russia

Kostner, Suguri, Ando, Ota, Meisner in Japan

Joe

Now this gets my skating juices going...........I noticed that Michael Weiss is only scheduled for one event. I was surprised he even was placed on the list. Does anyone know why he would only get one event? 42

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by show 42
    Now this gets my skating juices going...........I noticed that Michael Weiss is only scheduled for one event. I was surprised he even was placed on the list. Does anyone know why he would only get one event? 42
    If you were surprised that he even got a single GP event, why would you wonder why he didn't get two? All of the U.S. men who received two assignments placed higher than Mike at Nationals this year. I'm glad that he got an assignment, but not really surprised that he only got one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Joe
    America--Kwan
    Canada--Rochette
    China--Kwan
    France--Cohen
    Russia--Slutskaya
    Japan--Suguri

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Joe
    I'll give it a whirl... But with poor coverage & lack of time to download videos of most of the juniors moving up this year, its hard to feel confident about most of these placements... Heck, a couple I don't think I've EVER seen skate... So take all of this with a grain of salt ...

US: Kwan, Cohen, Liang

Canada: Kostner, Rochette, don't know enough to guess on the other two

China: Kwan, Arakawa (these two could be flipped), Asada

France: Cohen, Arakawa, Rochette, Asad, Meisner

Russia: Irina, Ando, Poykoi, Hughes, Kirk

Japan: Fumie, Kostner, Ando, Ota, Meisner

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast