GP Schedules Up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

GP Schedules Up

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Is it in St.Johns?

Yes. Skate Canada is in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, where I will totally lose my voice for a week from screaming for all my faves there, LOL :rofl:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Why do you suppose that L/T said that they would like to compete only to turn down the invitation to do so? :p

emma

Record Breaker
I only started catching up on the boards yesterday, got soooooooooo excited about L/T and couldn't believe all the post-season 'gossip' that I have missed, only to discover it is not to be. :no: Oh well. I do feel bad for Peter as it has appeared that he wants to continue skating; and while dance is the discipline i follow and know the least about, I always enjoyed watching L/T skate and thought they were magnificent...I wish them well.

Other than that, I'm already getting excited about the GP's...could be interesting. But, a part of me (only a small part) wishes that I could just KNOW NOW if Kwan is skating or not.

emma said:
I only started catching up on the boards yesterday, got soooooooooo excited about L/T and couldn't believe all the post-season 'gossip' that I have missed, only to discover it is not to be. :no: Oh well. I do feel bad for Peter as it has appeared that he wants to continue skating; and while dance is the discipline i follow and know the least about, I always enjoyed watching L/T skate and thought they were magnificent...I wish them well.
Unfortunately, the 3rd best team for America (Manon and O'Mearer) broke up and each one has a new partner. They do not get GPs.

Joe

If Belbin and Agosto are not eligible for the Olympics, I wonder if Lang and Tschernychev are maybe toying with the idea of throwing something together at the last minute and competing at Nationals for an Olympic spot?

Mathman

icedancer2

Rinkside
Mathman said:
If Belbin and Agosto are not eligible for the Olympics, I wonder if Lang and Tschernychev are maybe toying with the idea of throwing something together at the last minute and competing at Nationals for an Olympic spot?

Mathman

But technically, wouldn't they have to go to Sectionals first? (or maybe even Regionals, LOL).

soogar

Record Breaker
icedancer2 said:
But technically, wouldn't they have to go to Sectionals first? (or maybe even Regionals, LOL).

Well there aren't a lot of competitive dance teams in the US (which probably explains why the USFS was so quick to give L&T a spot in Skate America) so I don't think that L&T would have to go through the qualifying stages since they have been National champions. Plus with all the team break ups, it's hard to imagine who else the USFS would give an invitation to.

boggartlaura

On the Ice
soogar said:
Well there aren't a lot of competitive dance teams in the US (which probably explains why the USFS was so quick to give L&T a spot in Skate America) so I don't think that L&T would have to go through the qualifying stages since they have been National champions. Plus with all the team break ups, it's hard to imagine who else the USFS would give an invitation to.
Incorrect. Even if they did SA, they would have to do sectionals.

euterpe

Medalist
Getting a GP assignment doesn't mean a skater won't have to do Sectionals. Angela Nikodinov, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisny, Ryan Jahnke, Dennis Phan and Amber Corwin each got an assignment, and since none of them finished in the top 5 at 2005 Nationals, they all have to do Sectionals to qualify for 2006 Nationals.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
euterpe said:
Getting a GP assignment doesn't mean a skater won't have to do Sectionals. Angela Nikodinov, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisny, Ryan Jahnke, Dennis Phan and Amber Corwin each got an assignment, and since none of them finished in the top 5 at 2005 Nationals, they all have to do Sectionals to qualify for 2006 Nationals.
All 3 U.S. Sectionals in November 2005 are the same week as the GP in France (Nov. 17-20), which means that competition byes to 2006 Nationals will be given to the U.S. skaters assigned to the France and Russia (Nov. 24-27) Grand Prix events. Skaters that don't already have byes for having placed in the top 5 in senior at 2005 Nationals and are eligible for a competition bye to 2006 Nationals are:
Emily Hughes-Easterns, Castile/Okolski-Mids & Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell-Easterns (Russia) and Matthews/Zavozin-Easterns (France).
[Edited to add on 5/21 that M/Z already qualify for a bye to '06 Nationals based on their 5th place senior finish at '05 Nationals.]

The China GP (Nov. 3-6), is TWO weeks before France, so Amber Corwin and Ryan Jahnke may or may not get byes (ditto Vise/Kole at NHK, Dec. 1-4) -- we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
The China GP (Nov. 3-6), is TWO weeks before France, so Amber Corwin and Ryan Jahnke may or may not get byes (ditto Vise/Kole at NHK, Dec. 1-4) -- we'll have to wait and see.

This would aleviate a LOT of stress for me if those two skaters got byes this fall. I had forgotten they would have to do Regionals/Sectionals again this year! EEK! :unsure:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Mathman said:
Hey, Tharrtell!!!!! Where've you been? Good to see you back.

BTW, Doggygirl was asking in the cafe if someone could help her translate something into German.

Mathman:)

Thanks, MM. Started a grad school program that has been time consuming! Looked for the cafe thread but couldn't find it. Still in need of translation? Although, my German is pretty rusty!

tharrtell said:
Thanks, MM. Started a grad school program that has been time consuming! Looked for the cafe thread but couldn't find it. Still in need of translation? Although, my German is pretty rusty!
No, Tdnuva (native speaker) helped out.

Well, it's going to be an exciting Olympic fall, so I hope you'll have time for a post now and then.

MM:)

Serena

Rinkside
Gah, the USFS should have made sure of everything before putting L&T on the list. They got my hopes up.

Angelskates

Rinkside
When is CoC? I'll be going, went to CoC and GPF last year! Will have to ask from time off in advance though...great line up!

ETA: Just saw the answer, Nov 3-6...wonder when tickets will be on sale!

Last edited:
You're lucky if you get to go! That's the one that will really tell the story, in ladies. If everyone shows up, it will be Arakawa, Slutskaya and Kwan, with Mao Asada thrown in for good measure.

I don't think there is a big rush to get tickets for the event itself. I doubt that it will be sold out.

Mathman :)

Angelskates

Rinkside
Mathman, tickets definitely won't get sold out, the CoC and GPF last year ended up being sit where ever you want there were so few people, so I got great seats even though I bought the cheapest tickets (and for one day my rink gave me free tickets). Scalpers were selling tickets for as low a 10 kuai (just over US$1). The exhibition was pretty full though.