GP Schedules Up | Golden Skate

GP Schedules Up

sk8m8

Final Flight
This should be GREAT. I've noticed that most skaters are only opting for two events. That will mean a lot of movement and even more excitement as the GP Final nears. Great to see the variety of names too.

I'm happy to see that my 'prediction' from another thread is true...MK does the 1st and 3rd ( I said two north american events) this gives her a week from the end of SA to the beginning of CoC, smart move. This will give her time to present a "CoP friendly" program and continue to work on it before the culmination of Nats, Olys, Worlds.

Also wonderful to see Stephane on the schedule. He's flown so low under the radar because of injuries these past years, it will be good to see how he weathers a competitive season. I can hardly wait.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
sk8m8 said:
This should be GREAT. I've noticed that most skaters are only opting for two events. That will mean a lot of movement and even more excitement as the GP Final nears. Great to see the variety of names too.

I'm happy to see that my 'prediction' from another thread is true...MK does the 1st and 3rd ( I said two north american events) this gives her a week from the end of SA to the beginning of CoC, smart move. This will give her time to present a "CoP friendly" program and continue to work on it before the culmination of Nats, Olys, Worlds.

Also wonderful to see Stephane on the schedule. He's flown so low under the radar because of injuries these past years, it will be good to see how he weathers a competitive season. I can hardly wait.
The GP rules (and selection procedures) have changed a bit for the coming season. "Seeded skaters" (i.e. the top 6) no longer exist -- all skaters who finished in the top 12 at Worlds get to have 2 GP events -- and no one can have 3. The "non scoring" event is a thing of the past. Also skaters who finished 1-3 cannot be assigned to the same events; ditto for skaters who finished in places 4-6. I think this was to try to make the fields a bit more even. Not sure if it really succeeded in all cases. I'd say that Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka (the past 3 World Champions) would make for a very heavy ladies field at Cup of China -- assuming that they all show up. There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
skatingfan5 said:
... There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.

I know in November of 2004, the ISU issued a circular letter
(no. 592) to the federations, warning them and "through [them] the skaters", that disciplinary action (including possibly being banned from Olys) would be taken against skaters who don't do the GP. Will Michelle have a choice about doing the GP (assuming she wants to do Olys)?

skatingfan5

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I know in November of 2004, the ISU issued a circular letter
(no. 592) to the federations, warning them and "through [them] the skaters", that disciplinary action (including possibly being banned from Olys) would be taken against skaters who don't do the GP. Will Michelle have a choice about doing the GP (assuming she wants to do Olys)?
I didn't remember that letter mentioning anything about the Olypmics. I also seem to recall that it was specifically about skaters who opted out of Grand Prix events but then skated in other competitions or shows DURING THE GP SERIES TIME FRAME. I don't think that the ISU could force any skater to compete in the GP -- and it would be very interesting to say the least to see them try to "ban" any skater who had qualified for the Olympics through their national federation's established route. So, yes, I think that Michelle (and the rest) do have a choice -- unless the ISU executive council has passed some new resolution/rule about GP participation. I guess anything is possible, considering some of the ISU's past actions.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
Well, well. The return of Lang/Tchernyshev at Skate America.

Yay! Love this team!!! Is this about sending competitive teams to the Olympics since US has more spots than competitive teams or are L/T skating to win?

KW

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I so hope Michelle competes her two events. I know she's got to do what is best for her, but I can't help but think that she really needs these two competitions if she's aiming for Torino.

The Tough Men's Division

No news of Evgeny?

If I had the money this is where I would go:

Othman in Canada and France
Buttle in Canada and France
Joubert in America and France
Lambiel in China and France

Johnny in Canada and Russia
Li in China and Russia
KLIMKIN in Russia (only one spot)

Seems like France will be the hottest contest. With Canada and Russia of much interest.

Joe

PS. I hope they all show up injury free.

Hey, Tharrtell!!!!! Where've you been? Good to see you back.

BTW, Doggygirl was asking in the cafe if someone could help her translate something into German.

Mathman:)

The Ladies Out for Gold

Place your bets on these 6 races.

Cohen, Kwan and Liang in America

Rochette, Poykio, Kostner and Yan Liu in Canada

Liu, Arakawa, Asada, Kwan in China

Rochette, Arakawa, Asad, Cohen, Meisner in France

Poykio, Ando, Slutskaya, Hughes, Kirk in Russia

Kostner, Suguri, Ando, Ota, Meisner in Japan

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Now this gets my skating juices going...........I noticed that Michael Weiss is only scheduled for one event. I was surprised he even was placed on the list. Does anyone know why he would only get one event? 42

skatingfan5

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Now this gets my skating juices going...........I noticed that Michael Weiss is only scheduled for one event. I was surprised he even was placed on the list. Does anyone know why he would only get one event? 42
If you were surprised that he even got a single GP event, why would you wonder why he didn't get two? All of the U.S. men who received two assignments placed higher than Mike at Nationals this year. I'm glad that he got an assignment, but not really surprised that he only got one.

K-Mo

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

Joe

America--Kwan
Canada--Rochette
China--Kwan
France--Cohen
Russia--Slutskaya
Japan--Suguri

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

I'll give it a whirl... But with poor coverage & lack of time to download videos of most of the juniors moving up this year, its hard to feel confident about most of these placements... Heck, a couple I don't think I've EVER seen skate... So take all of this with a grain of salt ...

US: Kwan, Cohen, Liang

Canada: Kostner, Rochette, don't know enough to guess on the other two

China: Kwan, Arakawa (these two could be flipped), Asada

France: Cohen, Arakawa, Rochette, Asad, Meisner

Russia: Irina, Ando, Poykoi, Hughes, Kirk

Japan: Fumie, Kostner, Ando, Ota, Meisner

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
There's more to bet on in China...

Unless something changed this afternoon, Irina is also on the list for COC. That one will be quite an event! Can't wait. I'm holding off on my own bets until later, but for those of you "jumping in" right away, don't forget the current world champ!

DG

ACK...something is wrong with my Adobe Reader and I cannot get PDF files to work.....is there any other way to get the roster for Skate America? (which I'm attending the Saturday portion of).

chipso1

Rinkside
Joesitz said:

Joe

Hmmmm . . . .

Skate America: Kwan, Cohen, Liang
Skate Canada: Rochette, Poykio, Kostner, Liu
Cup of China: Slute, Kwan, Arakawa, Asada, Liu
Trophee EB: Cohen, Arakawa, Rochette, Asada, Meissner
Cup of Russia: Slute, Poykio, Hughes, Ando, Kirk
NHK Trophy: Suguri, Kostner, Ando, Meissner, Ota

Possible GPF Lineup: Slute, Kwan, Cohen, Rochette, Poykio, Kostner/Arakawa

This is going to be one exciting season! :rock:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm still very skeptical that Kwan will do the G.P. Knowing her, this just isn't very likely. Of course it would be to her advantage to do so, but this is the same person who left her coach in an Olympic year. You just don't know what to expect from her.

I don't think she'll do it. Really. Also Cohen, not sure if she'll do it as well (she skipped last year).

The rest are fair game.

pairsfan

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
ACK...something is wrong with my Adobe Reader and I cannot get PDF files to work.....is there any other way to get the roster for Skate America? (which I'm attending the Saturday portion of).

I can type it out for you.

Men:
Sergei Davydov BLR
Kevin van der Perren BEL
Christopher Mabee CAN
Lun Song CHN
Brian Joubert FRA
Yannick Ponsero FRA
Silvio Smalun GER
Daisuke Takahashi JPN
Kristoffer Berntsson SWE
Timothy Goebel USA