GP Schedules Up | Page 2 | Golden Skate

GP Schedules Up

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog considerately posted this letter when it first came out; I just copied and pasted from Archives:

Lausanne, November 10, 2004

CIRCULAR LETTER No. 592 Total pages transmitted: 2

To: ISU Members

Entries/Withdrawals in ISU Events

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The ISU Council is very concerned and disturbed by the recently created
situation under which certain World top figure skaters are not competing in the
ISU Events, in particular in the Grand Prix Series. Some have claimed serious
injuries and others some other reasons, like need of rest and preparation for the
ISU Championships.

However, some of these skaters perform at the same time shows and/or
participate or have announced participation in other international competitions
during the period when the Grand Prix Series individual events and Final are
held.

All ISU Members know well that the ISU has concluded contracts with a
number of TV companies for the coverage of the Grand Prix Series and Final.
The ISU feels responsible to present top skaters at these Events. Not fulfilling
this might result in reduction of the fees received by the ISU from current
partners and in the future since it jeopardizes the credibility of the ISU and
worsens the ISU position in negotiating future contracts.

It was with due regards to all these aspects that the Members organizing the GP
competitions have made contractual commitments to enter seeded skaters in
accordance with article 2.1 of the GP Announcement and that the ISU Congress
some years ago adopted an amendment to rule 125 paragraph 4 and to rule 136
paragraph 6 of the ISU General Regulations under which :

“Improper conduct by a skater includes refusal, for other than medical or

other justifiable reason, to participate in the ISU Events in accordance with

commitments established by the ISU and Members concerned.” (For

confirmation of illness or injury see rule 104 paragraph 17).

Under rule 104 paragraph 17 and also under the explicit article 11 of the GP
Announcement an injury or illness must be evidenced by a certificate issued by
a Medical Doctor and confirmed by the respective Member and/or the ISU
Medical Advisor.

Of course, in such a case the opinion and advice of the ISU Medical Advisor
must be followed. If the injury requires, in the opinion of the Medical Advisor a
rest from competitions and exhibitions (or sometimes even from practice), then
the skater can not skate in exhibitions or other competitions.

The ISU Council would like to remind all ISU Members that the obligation to
give first priority to ISU Events, when entering or authorizing the participation
of skaters in competitions and/or exhibitions, applies to the seeded skaters of
both the Grand Prix individual events and the Final. The ISU Council
therefore urgently asks all ISU Members with seeded skaters in the GP to take
immediately all available measures in order to be able to comply with their
commitments and to enter those skaters for the remaining GP Series
Competitions and Final (if qualified).

The Council has no other choice than to inform the ISU Members and
through them the skaters that it will make immediate use of rule 125
paragraph 4 ]and open disciplinary proceedings against those skaters who
violate the ISU rules and file a Disciplinary Complaint with a request that
the skaters be excluded under rule 125 paragraph 4 from participation in
ISU Events (incl. Championships), International Competitions, Olympic
Winter Games and exhibitions for an appropriate period of time.

ISU Members violating their obligations might face financial penalties under
article 17 paragraph 1, u) of the ISU Constitution. The Council hopes that all ISU Members and skaters will understand the serious aspects of the situation and will do their utmost to assist the ISU in avoiding inconveniences.

With kind regards,

Ottavio Cinquanta Fredi Schmid

President General Secretary

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I love these assignments because....

1. Angela and Ryan Jahnke both got an assignment :agree:

2. MK got two GPs and only one of them is on North America. I think if she's seriously considering Torino, she WILL do both her events this year. If she's going to come back and do the GP, this is the season to do it and I really think that if she's healthy and ready, she will be there this time. :biggrin:

3. Anabelle Langlois & Cody Hay will get to go to Skate Canada! I am very interested in seeing this team. :clap:

4. AMANDA & MARK GOT SKATE CANADA!! Their first ever GP event and its even in my fave country! Hmmm, I've always wanted to visit Newfoundland, LOL :rock:

5. Skate Canada has a rocked out roster that seriously does have me considering heading up there for a long weekend. Angela, Matt Savoie, Amanda & Mark, I like all three of the Canadian pairs teams, Shen & Zhao, Melissa & Denis, Johnny....its a fab lineup. I gotta start saving money like now, LOL :laugh:

I can't wait til the new season starts. Bring it on! :love:

KwanFan1212 said:
5. Skate Canada has a rocked out roster that seriously does have me considering heading up there for a long weekend. Angela, Matt Savoie, Amanda & Mark, I like all three of the Canadian pairs teams, Shen & Zhao, Melissa & Denis, Johnny....its a fab lineup. I gotta start saving money like now, LOL :laugh:

I can't wait til the new season starts. Bring it on! :love:

Canada, Paris and COR have many super stars skating. I'm considering Canada, too. Is it in St.Johns?

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
skatingfan5 said:
If you were surprised that he even got a single GP event, why would you wonder why he didn't get two? All of the U.S. men who received two assignments placed higher than Mike at Nationals this year. I'm glad that he got an assignment, but not really surprised that he only got one.

Actually, my surprise was that he opted to skate this year at all. I was initially surprised to see his name listed in an event, period. I figured it out later why he didn't get two events, before you pointed it out for me.................42

Elfga_265

Match Penalty
I am so pumped for Skate America because we get all these cool skaters, and a German entry in each event! I would have liked Dobrin to be among the men but all I can do is hope they show him on TV. I am going netherless.

Thanks Pairsfan! I sure hope Naomi & Peter WILL be competing, I've missed them so. And I'll be thrilled at the chance to Tiffany Steigler and her new partner.

Mea Culpa. I did leave out Slutskaya from COC. She will indeed be in China and facing Michelle.

I have 't read anyone's take on Evgeni. Is he skating any GPs and if not, Why?

I was also thinking about MK. It might be possible that she will skate everything in sight this season as the last competitive skates. Kinda like Cher doing her 100 final performances :)

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I'm worried about Evgeni -- he's not listed at all by name (although, if he is well enough, he will probably get that "TBA" spot that I saw yesterday under CoR's mens event). I know he isn't seeded -- because he didn't compete at Worlds -- but , Shen and Zhao are listed -- even though they withdrew from Worlds due to injury also.

luvsasha

Final Flight
Red Dog said:
I'm still very skeptical that Kwan will do the G.P. Knowing her, this just isn't very likely. Of course it would be to her advantage to do so, but this is the same person who left her coach in an Olympic year. You just don't know what to expect from her.

I don't think she'll do it. Really. Also Cohen, not sure if she'll do it as well (she skipped last year).

The rest are fair game.

Sasha skipped because she had a back injury.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I'm worried about Evgeni -- he's not listed at all by name (although, if he is well enough, he will probably get that "TBA" spot that I saw yesterday under CoR's mens event). I know he isn't seeded -- because he didn't compete at Worlds -- but , Shen and Zhao are listed -- even though they withdrew from Worlds due to injury also.

My guess is that he will be in the COR "TBA" spot if he's healthy. I suppose we won't know for sure for awhile though. S/Z's invite is in their home country....

DG

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
skatingfan5 said:
...skaters who finished 1-3 cannot be assigned to the same events; ditto for skaters who finished in places 4-6. I think this was to try to make the fields a bit more even. Not sure if it really succeeded in all cases. I'd say that Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka (the past 3 World Champions) would make for a very heavy ladies field at Cup of China -- assuming that they all show up. There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.

If you look at the roster, you will see that Carolina Koster (3rd at Worlds), Miki Ando (6th at Worlds) and Fumie Suguri (5th at Worlds) are assigned to NHK, giving Japan THREE seeds, while TEB has just ONE seed (Sasha Cohen). I think there are going to have to be some changes.

The Ladies competition at Cup of China is going to be fierce: Arakawa, Slutskaya, Cohen and Mao Asada.

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Re:NHK. The reason two skaters, Suguri and Ando from the same group are both in this event is because the Japanese Federation is able to select whichever three skaters they want for their home event before any of the 1-3, 4-6 grouping process takes place. So that's why the system is a little offset there. Also, TEB features two skaters in the 7-9 group: Sokolova and Arakawa as a result of this.

pairfan

Rinkside
:clap: I'm so excited about Skate America !!! Can't wait to see L/T !! I'm glad to see some new people were assigned to the GP events this year...in particular I'm very happy to see Hinzmann and Parchem's names. They had a great start of their season last year before Marcy's injury (won Indy Challenge, won Oberstdorf, won Midwestern Sectionals) actually Oberstdorf and Mids were won AFTER her injurey. Anyway it looks like I'll get to go cheer everyone on at Skate America !!!! :biggrin: :rock: :biggrin:

sk8m8

Final Flight
I've seen the posting of the schedule for GP events. I also see L & T as partcipants in an event. Problem is, I can't find anything anywhere as to thier reuniting. It would have been a story, wouldn't it? If anyone has info I'd sure like to hear it. Thanks, mark...your sk8m8

chuckm said:
.The Ladies competition at Cup of China is going to be fierce: Arakawa, Slutskaya, Cohen and Mao Asada.
I think you got Cohen mixed up with Kwan.

But it will still be fierce and that's the way these prequels should be. :agree:

Joe

What about the boys?

America - Joubert over Lysacek and Goebel and Weiss

Canada - Buttle over Weir and Sandhu (but my personal choice is Othman)

China - Lambiel over Li

France - Joubert over Goebel (while keeping an eye on Othman)

Russia - TBA over everyone (and you know who it is)

Japan - Lysacek over van der Perren and Honda

GP Final - Lambiel squeezes out Joubert and Buttle. TBA did not have enough points to qualify for the final.

Am I giving good guesstimates?

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Press release from USFS says that L&T indicated some interest in competing this season, and hence were invited to Skate America.

It also says that they are now expected to respectfully decline the invitation.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
No L & T at SA

From official press release from the USFS:

*After Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev indicated their interest to compete during the 2005-2006 season, U.S. Figure Skating extended them an invitation to compete at 2005 Smart Ones Skate America. At this time, it does not appear probable that the ice dancing team will compete during the 2005-2006 season, so they are planning to respectfully decline the invitation to Skate America."

D***! I was looking forward to seeing them!

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Hey Joe,

Looks like you think pretty highly of that TBA guy! Have I missed him somehow....skater from Zimbabwe perhaps??????? :laugh:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Darn it I wanted L&T to reunite and skate this season. Maybe they can still do Nationals. Perhaps they needed more time to practice4. Oh well I won't try to predict.

It will be interesting to see if Michelle accepts her assignments. Other than the 13 1/2 hour flight to china. The timing is good. Well except for the final right before Nationals.

I'm happy that Angela was given at least one assignment. Hopefully she can comeback.