Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GP Schedules Up

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5
    ...skaters who finished 1-3 cannot be assigned to the same events; ditto for skaters who finished in places 4-6. I think this was to try to make the fields a bit more even. Not sure if it really succeeded in all cases. I'd say that Irina, Michelle, and Shizuka (the past 3 World Champions) would make for a very heavy ladies field at Cup of China -- assuming that they all show up. There is no guarantee that Michelle will be doing the GP events -- at this time I'd say the odds are barely 50/50 that she does -- that's just my guess.
    If you look at the roster, you will see that Carolina Koster (3rd at Worlds), Miki Ando (6th at Worlds) and Fumie Suguri (5th at Worlds) are assigned to NHK, giving Japan THREE seeds, while TEB has just ONE seed (Sasha Cohen). I think there are going to have to be some changes.

The Ladies competition at Cup of China is going to be fierce: Arakawa, Slutskaya, Cohen and Mao Asada.

Custom Title
    Re:NHK. The reason two skaters, Suguri and Ando from the same group are both in this event is because the Japanese Federation is able to select whichever three skaters they want for their home event before any of the 1-3, 4-6 grouping process takes place. So that's why the system is a little offset there. Also, TEB features two skaters in the 7-9 group: Sokolova and Arakawa as a result of this.

On the Ice
    I'm so excited about Skate America !!! Can't wait to see L/T !! I'm glad to see some new people were assigned to the GP events this year...in particular I'm very happy to see Hinzmann and Parchem's names. They had a great start of their season last year before Marcy's injury (won Indy Challenge, won Oberstdorf, won Midwestern Sectionals) actually Oberstdorf and Mids were won AFTER her injurey. Anyway it looks like I'll get to go cheer everyone on at Skate America !!!!

average opinionated skate fan
    I've seen the posting of the schedule for GP events. I also see L & T as partcipants in an event. Problem is, I can't find anything anywhere as to thier reuniting. It would have been a story, wouldn't it? If anyone has info I'd sure like to hear it. Thanks, mark...your sk8m8

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    .The Ladies competition at Cup of China is going to be fierce: Arakawa, Slutskaya, Cohen and Mao Asada.
    I think you got Cohen mixed up with Kwan.

But it will still be fierce and that's the way these prequels should be.

Joe

What about the boys?

America - Joubert over Lysacek and Goebel and Weiss

Canada - Buttle over Weir and Sandhu (but my personal choice is Othman)

China - Lambiel over Li

France - Joubert over Goebel (while keeping an eye on Othman)

Russia - TBA over everyone (and you know who it is)

Japan - Lysacek over van der Perren and Honda

GP Final - Lambiel squeezes out Joubert and Buttle. TBA did not have enough points to qualify for the final.

Am I giving good guesstimates?

Joe

Custom Title
    Press release from USFS says that L&T indicated some interest in competing this season, and hence were invited to Skate America.

It also says that they are now expected to respectfully decline the invitation.

Custom Title

No L & T at SA

From official press release from the USFS:

*After Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev indicated their interest to compete during the 2005-2006 season, U.S. Figure Skating extended them an invitation to compete at 2005 Smart Ones Skate America. At this time, it does not appear probable that the ice dancing team will compete during the 2005-2006 season, so they are planning to respectfully decline the invitation to Skate America."

D***! I was looking forward to seeing them!

Custom Title
    Hey Joe,

Looks like you think pretty highly of that TBA guy! Have I missed him somehow....skater from Zimbabwe perhaps???????

Custom Title
    Darn it I wanted L&T to reunite and skate this season. Maybe they can still do Nationals. Perhaps they needed more time to practice4. Oh well I won't try to predict.

It will be interesting to see if Michelle accepts her assignments. Other than the 13 1/2 hour flight to china. The timing is good. Well except for the final right before Nationals.

I'm happy that Angela was given at least one assignment. Hopefully she can comeback.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Is it in St.Johns?
    Yes. Skate Canada is in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada, where I will totally lose my voice for a week from screaming for all my faves there, LOL

Why do you suppose that L/T said that they would like to compete only to turn down the invitation to do so?

Custom Title
    I only started catching up on the boards yesterday, got soooooooooo excited about L/T and couldn't believe all the post-season 'gossip' that I have missed, only to discover it is not to be. Oh well. I do feel bad for Peter as it has appeared that he wants to continue skating; and while dance is the discipline i follow and know the least about, I always enjoyed watching L/T skate and thought they were magnificent...I wish them well.

Other than that, I'm already getting excited about the GP's...could be interesting. But, a part of me (only a small part) wishes that I could just KNOW NOW if Kwan is skating or not.

Quote Originally Posted by emma
    I only started catching up on the boards yesterday, got soooooooooo excited about L/T and couldn't believe all the post-season 'gossip' that I have missed, only to discover it is not to be. Oh well. I do feel bad for Peter as it has appeared that he wants to continue skating; and while dance is the discipline i follow and know the least about, I always enjoyed watching L/T skate and thought they were magnificent...I wish them well.
    Unfortunately, the 3rd best team for America (Manon and O'Mearer) broke up and each one has a new partner. They do not get GPs.

Joe

If Belbin and Agosto are not eligible for the Olympics, I wonder if Lang and Tschernychev are maybe toying with the idea of throwing something together at the last minute and competing at Nationals for an Olympic spot?

Mathman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast