Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: GP Schedules Up

Tripping on the Podium icedancer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    If Belbin and Agosto are not eligible for the Olympics, I wonder if Lang and Tschernychev are maybe toying with the idea of throwing something together at the last minute and competing at Nationals for an Olympic spot?

Mathman
    But technically, wouldn't they have to go to Sectionals first? (or maybe even Regionals, LOL).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancer2
    But technically, wouldn't they have to go to Sectionals first? (or maybe even Regionals, LOL).
    Well there aren't a lot of competitive dance teams in the US (which probably explains why the USFS was so quick to give L&T a spot in Skate America) so I don't think that L&T would have to go through the qualifying stages since they have been National champions. Plus with all the team break ups, it's hard to imagine who else the USFS would give an invitation to.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar
    Well there aren't a lot of competitive dance teams in the US (which probably explains why the USFS was so quick to give L&T a spot in Skate America) so I don't think that L&T would have to go through the qualifying stages since they have been National champions. Plus with all the team break ups, it's hard to imagine who else the USFS would give an invitation to.
    Incorrect. Even if they did SA, they would have to do sectionals.

Custom Title
    Getting a GP assignment doesn't mean a skater won't have to do Sectionals. Angela Nikodinov, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisny, Ryan Jahnke, Dennis Phan and Amber Corwin each got an assignment, and since none of them finished in the top 5 at 2005 Nationals, they all have to do Sectionals to qualify for 2006 Nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    Getting a GP assignment doesn't mean a skater won't have to do Sectionals. Angela Nikodinov, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisny, Ryan Jahnke, Dennis Phan and Amber Corwin each got an assignment, and since none of them finished in the top 5 at 2005 Nationals, they all have to do Sectionals to qualify for 2006 Nationals.
    All 3 U.S. Sectionals in November 2005 are the same week as the GP in France (Nov. 17-20), which means that competition byes to 2006 Nationals will be given to the U.S. skaters assigned to the France and Russia (Nov. 24-27) Grand Prix events. Skaters that don't already have byes for having placed in the top 5 in senior at 2005 Nationals and are eligible for a competition bye to 2006 Nationals are:
    Emily Hughes-Easterns, Castile/Okolski-Mids & Galler-Rabinowitz/Mitchell-Easterns (Russia) and Matthews/Zavozin-Easterns (France).
    [Edited to add on 5/21 that M/Z already qualify for a bye to '06 Nationals based on their 5th place senior finish at '05 Nationals.]

The China GP (Nov. 3-6), is TWO weeks before France, so Amber Corwin and Ryan Jahnke may or may not get byes (ditto Vise/Kole at NHK, Dec. 1-4) -- we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    The China GP (Nov. 3-6), is TWO weeks before France, so Amber Corwin and Ryan Jahnke may or may not get byes (ditto Vise/Kole at NHK, Dec. 1-4) -- we'll have to wait and see.
    This would aleviate a LOT of stress for me if those two skaters got byes this fall. I had forgotten they would have to do Regionals/Sectionals again this year! EEK!

TriGirl Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Hey, Tharrtell!!!!! Where've you been? Good to see you back.

BTW, Doggygirl was asking in the cafe if someone could help her translate something into German.

Mathman
    Thanks, MM. Started a grad school program that has been time consuming! Looked for the cafe thread but couldn't find it. Still in need of translation? Although, my German is pretty rusty!

Quote Originally Posted by tharrtell
    Thanks, MM. Started a grad school program that has been time consuming! Looked for the cafe thread but couldn't find it. Still in need of translation? Although, my German is pretty rusty!
    No, Tdnuva (native speaker) helped out.

Well, it's going to be an exciting Olympic fall, so I hope you'll have time for a post now and then.

MM

On the Ice
    Gah, the USFS should have made sure of everything before putting L&T on the list. They got my hopes up.

Rinkside
    When is CoC? I'll be going, went to CoC and GPF last year! Will have to ask from time off in advance though...great line up!

ETA: Just saw the answer, Nov 3-6...wonder when tickets will be on sale!
    Last edited by Angelskates; 07-31-2005 at 06:28 AM. Reason: saw the answer!

You're lucky if you get to go! That's the one that will really tell the story, in ladies. If everyone shows up, it will be Arakawa, Slutskaya and Kwan, with Mao Asada thrown in for good measure.

I don't think there is a big rush to get tickets for the event itself. I doubt that it will be sold out.

Mathman

Rinkside
    Mathman, tickets definitely won't get sold out, the CoC and GPF last year ended up being sit where ever you want there were so few people, so I got great seats even though I bought the cheapest tickets (and for one day my rink gave me free tickets). Scalpers were selling tickets for as low a 10 kuai (just over US$1). The exhibition was pretty full though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4