New Johnny Weir Interview | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Interview

Zanzibar

Final Flight
New Johnny interview on this very impressive Weir fan site:

http://www.kataniye.com/johnny_weir/interviews2005-part 2.htm

Quote from Johnny:

“I don't have many skills aside from skating, so I would say giving people something beautiful and interesting for a few minutes is the only contribution I can give. I would never join the army to defend my country, I could never build a space shuttle, or solve the problem of disease and hatred, so giving back something beautiful is what I can do best. My life is far from over I hope, so maybe something else will pop up.”

You really gotta love this guy…

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
4. Are there any network commentators/interviewers that you have particularly enjoyed working with?

I love doing interviews and letting people see me off the ice. The most memorable interview from this past season was with Golden Skate. I felt that I could totally say what I felt and be myself more than usual.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

brad640

On the Ice
Thanks for the link, Zanzibar. I love reading Johnny's interviews.

Eeyora said:
Good to see he likes it here too!
But it is safe to say he won't be looking at the forum:
Q. Do you ever visit online sites dedicated to you, or our message board maybe?

A: I go to my websites every now and again to check and see how they're doing, but I don't go regularly. I don't like the internet, it's too fake for me I think, so I stay away from it. I would probably love my message board because it's my fans, but I've heard a lot of nasty stuff about message boards and would prefer never to see one.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
"but I've heard a lot of nasty stuff about message boards and would prefer never to see one"

Catfights do arise on occasion in fansite message boards. I used to be on the official Alexei board and it was know to happen every now and again. If I were him, I wouldn't want that to happen over me either.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the link, Zanzibar!!!

Besides being such a fantastic skater, Weir sure gives great interviews, too! I hope so much that he will be able to enjoy the coming season uninjured...

Suzy

On the Ice

I love doing interviews and letting people see me off the ice. The most memorable interview from this past season was with Golden Skate. I felt that I could totally say what I felt and be myself more than usual.

Where can I read this?

MannyisHOT

Rinkside
lol... number 17 is the question i asked! yay! i never thought anyone would answer my question! this is so SUPER! :love:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have given Irina Slutskaya the bronze in the 1998 Olympic Games, and gold in the 2002 Olympic Games.
Now that's being honest!!

Dee

Dee4707 said:
Now that's being honest!!Dee

Definitely speaks his mind. Back in 2000(?) US Nationals he finished 6th (I thought he should have been first.) Everyone was worried about the usual suspects, Todd and Michael. I forgot who won. I was more interested in this kid that was knocking off triples with the most incredible flow all over the ice. I possted a topic about Who is Johnny Weir? It got 3 hits. (I do wish fans would take more interest in fs other than MK and SC.)

He went on to win the juniors. In a GS interview, he said he started skating at 8 on rollers and copied the jumps of Irina from television. That's the connexion with Irina from way back. We owe our Johnny to Irina :love:

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Back in 2000(?) US Nationals he finished 6th (I thought he should have been first.) Everyone was worried about the usual suspects, Todd and Michael. I forgot who won. I was more interested in this kid that was knocking off triples with the most incredible flow all over the ice. I possted a topic about Who is Johnny Weir? It got 3 hits.
Weir was 6th in his senior debut at 2001 Nationals in Boston (Goebel won, followed by Eldredge, Savoie, Weiss, Zivanovic). Weir impressed me with his smooth edges and flow from the very first time I saw him skate in person in 2000-01 -- I even witnessed his first 3axel landed in competition at the Mid-Atlantics club comp. in NYC September 2000! Before then, he had been landing the 3axel consistently in comp. practices and warmups but wasn't able to do it in competition, so he was VERY excited that day in NYC and got on his cell phone as soon as he got off the ice! :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
My favorite...

"Johnny, do you think that skating let you grow up as a person? Why?

Skating definitely made me grow up as a person. By the age of twelve or thirteen I understood the way money works, how expensive things are, work ethic coming from within, the value of working hard and achieving goals, nutrition, and how to be poised in tense situations. I think I'm very mature for a twenty year old, I balance and deal with a lot, and it's mainly on my own. I'm able to take care of myself which I think is the key in growing up."

In my eyes, this is one of the biggest benefits of participating in a serious competitive sport growing up. It took me until I was almost 30 to fully realize all the benefits I gained from my childhood / teen experiences. Good for Johnny having appreciation for that at age 20!!!!

Thanks for this link. I too really enjoy all of Johnny's interviews.

DG

Zanzibar

Final Flight
QUOTE from Joesitz:
"Definitely speaks his mind. Back in 2000(?) US Nationals he finished 6th (I thought he should have been first.) Everyone was worried about the usual suspects, Todd and Michael. I forgot who won. I was more interested in this kid that was knocking off triples with the most incredible flow all over the ice. I possted a topic about Who is Johnny Weir? It got 3 hits. (I do wish fans would take more interest in fs other than MK and SC.)"

Joe - great post, and great observations! I could not agree more. I'll never understand the fascination with ladies skating when the men consistently bring
out the most innovative programs and by far give the best interviews. Irina can be counted for a little spunkiness, but beyond that - seriously - what singles lady skaters ever go much further than standard boilerplate interviews and responses?

I can understand Michelle's position - because reigning at the top she could have too much to lose by really cutting loose to the media. Also, I think her authentic personality IS just very stable and measured - so I'm excluding her, for the most part, from these observations.

Johnny is open, forthcoming, outspoken and sometimes controversial. He also backs that up with compassion, humor and self-deprecation. He's introspective - yet has an outgoing personality. And that makes him priceless as a subject - the winning combination of great guy, with an ability for wonderful
self-expression.

Last edited:
Zanzibar said:
QUOTE from Joesitz:
"Definitely speaks his mind. Back in 2000(?) US Nationals he finished 6th (I thought he should have been first.) Everyone was worried about the usual suspects, Todd and Michael. I forgot who won. I was more interested in this kid that was knocking off triples with the most incredible flow all over the ice. I possted a topic about Who is Johnny Weir? It got 3 hits. (I do wish fans would take more interest in fs other than MK and SC.)"

Joe - great post, and great observations! I could not agree more. I'll never understand the fascination with ladies skating when the men consistently bring
out the most innovative programs and by far give the best interviews. Irina can be counted for a little spunkiness, but beyond that - seriously - what singles lady skaters ever go much further than standard boilerplate interviews and responses?

I can understand Michelle's position - because reigning at the top she could have too much to lose by really cutting loose to the media. Also, I think her authentic personality IS just very stable and measured - so I'm excluding her, for the most part, from these observations.

Johnny is open, forthcoming, outspoken and sometimes controversial. He also backs that up with compassion, humor and self-deprecation. He's introspective - yet has an outgoing personality. And that makes him priceless as a subject - the winning combination of great guy, with an ability for wonderful
self-expression.
And he has been a potential champion since 2001(Thanks Sylvia) except that one horrendous Nats in 2003(?). However,I think he learned a lot from that Nats.

I always like to read about skaters starting out and someone sees the potential. My new 'finds' are non American. Jamal Orthmund from Switzerland and Yan Liu of China. Since they are not American I don't think we will see them that much unless they win their GP assignments. Both these skaters just flow over the ice and as most people know, that is what gets me to perk up.

I also think that once the usual suspects leave eligible skating after the Olys, there will be life in the sport.

Joe

Germanice

On the Ice
I would have given Irina Slutskaya the bronze in the 1998 Olympic Games, and gold in the 2002 Olympic Games.
Awww, you really have to love this guy, and not just only for his remark above (though I don't agree with '98!)! What an intelligent interview! So refreshing! So honest! So un-US-American! So refreshing, honest, un-US-American!!! Johnny rocks!!! :rock:

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I always like to read about skaters starting out and someone sees the potential. My new 'finds' are non American. Jamal Orthmund from Switzerland and Yan Liu of China. Since they are not American I don't think we will see them that much unless they win their GP assignments. Both these skaters just flow over the ice and as most people know, that is what gets me to perk up.

Jamal has two GP assignments for fall (Canada and Paris) so hopefully we will see more of him!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Johnny's interviews are always great reads. Thanx for posting this one for us! :clap:

YAY for the random Goldenskate pimpage too!! WOO HOO!!! :rock:

(Hey Joe, did you see that someone posted Jamal will be at SC this fall?! Now you have even more reason to go!! :biggrin: )

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I read about Weir´s skating in 2001 GWG and got a tape from a friend in USA. I got really interested in this young skater and waited to see his skating in Worlds one day. I will be eternally grateful to Weir that he came to 2003 Finlandia Trophy and I was able to admire his beautiful skating live and to take a few photos:

http://koti.welho.com/mjylha2/index02b.html

I enjoy the skating of e.g. Lambiel and Plushenko very much, but there is some special magic in that of Weir...

Last edited: