Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IL DIVO - What a Treat

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

News IL DIVO - What a Treat

I just purchased a CD entitled "IL Divo" which consists of a group of four young male teners from different parts of the world. It is just wonderful. The group was produced by Simon Cowel of AI. Simon does have good taste afterall. The singing is just phenomenal. If you have not heard this CD, I highly recommend it!!!! You will love it, just as I do.

Banned
    >,< Am I allowed to say they suck?

I haven't got the CD yet, but I heard them on Oprah last month. I thought they were great. Do you think this is good skating music?

Mathman

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfga_265
    I guess you're allowed to say anything you want but I'm just curious as to why you would say that? Is it the type of music? Would you explain why you think that?

They performed at the Daytime Emmy Award show and I was very impressed with them. They fit into the genre of Josh Groban and of course I love Josh. I may purchase their CD.

Dee

Banned
    I dunno they just rub on me the wrong way...

Do they sing original songs? If so, I may buy their CD. They sounded amazing, but I prefer original songs if I am spending money on them.

I saw them on Oprah earlier this spring. I thought they were wonderful and bought their CD when it was released in late April. I also bought another as a birthday gift and the recipeint enjoyed it a lot.

If you don't like Opera, don't buy this CD - most of the songs are in a foreign language, even Unchained Melody. I prefer to compare them to Boccelli vs Groban. Everytime I listen to a Groban CD, it seems monotonous - the melody and rythym are the same throughout the CD. Maybe that's true of just his 1st one?

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Those guys are phenomenal. I can see how they might not be everyone's cup of tea due to the style of music they sing. It is more opera like and I don't think much of it if anything is in English, but I think they are amazing. I hope to get their CD sometime soon.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

NO - Definitely Not!!! Unless you are tone deaf! Of course, this music is for the cultured crowd.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    I have them on my iPod and I personally like them. That being said, as an opera lover, I can see where a lot of the criticism of them is well founded. This isn't a true opera record. It's produced by Simon Cowell and is produced to appeal to the "popera" crowd, i.e the same people who are buying Josh Groban and other classical singers who sing in a pop style. None of the songs on the CD are actual operatic arias ("Nella Fantasia" and "Senza Catene" are popular classical Italian songs and they do sing Sinatra's "My Way"---in Spanish); they're mostly soaring, tugging-at-the-heartstrings, ballads. It's nice to listen to, but I would like to hear them sing something that's actually from an opera to give them a little more clout.

If you guys like these kinds of groups, you should also check out "The Opera Band" by Amici Forever (talk about phenomenal ) or "Larger Than Life" by a very interesting group from Australia called The Ten Tenors

Banned
    You know I might give them a second chance and I might end up liking them. I just heard them once and I shouldn't judge upon one listening. Not to mention the guys are cute. This is coming from someone who listens to Nightwosh (who has a soprano for a lead singer)

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Matt, thanks for the heads up on the Opera Band. If this site works, here is a sample of their music; I especially like Canto Alla Vita. I noticed that the songs listed are out of order but you can listen to what they sound like and you're right Matt........super!!

The Opera Band

Dee

It's all about Plushenko.
    I like Nightwish! Maybe I'll check these guys out.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Congratulations, Elfga, on keeping an open mind. Or should I congratulate those who persuaded you? By the way, I liked them too but I don't buy too many new cds as I have far too many right now!

I finally picked up a copy, and I love it and heartily recommend it to one and all.....42

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast