IL DIVO - What a Treat | Golden Skate

IL DIVO - What a Treat

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I just purchased a CD entitled "IL Divo" which consists of a group of four young male teners from different parts of the world. It is just wonderful. The group was produced by Simon Cowel of AI. Simon does have good taste afterall. The singing is just phenomenal. If you have not heard this CD, I highly recommend it!!!! You will love it, just as I do.

:agree:

I haven't got the CD yet, but I heard them on Oprah last month. I thought they were great. Do you think this is good skating music?

Mathman

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elfga_265 said:
>,< Am I allowed to say they suck?
I guess you're allowed to say anything you want but I'm just curious as to why you would say that? Is it the type of music? Would you explain why you think that?

They performed at the Daytime Emmy Award show and I was very impressed with them. They fit into the genre of Josh Groban and of course I love Josh. :love: :love: I may purchase their CD.

Dee

Johar

Medalist
Do they sing original songs? If so, I may buy their CD. They sounded amazing, but I prefer original songs if I am spending money on them.

heyang

Record Breaker
I saw them on Oprah earlier this spring. I thought they were wonderful and bought their CD when it was released in late April. I also bought another as a birthday gift and the recipeint enjoyed it a lot.

If you don't like Opera, don't buy this CD - most of the songs are in a foreign language, even Unchained Melody. I prefer to compare them to Boccelli vs Groban. Everytime I listen to a Groban CD, it seems monotonous - the melody and rythym are the same throughout the CD. Maybe that's true of just his 1st one?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Those guys are phenomenal. I can see how they might not be everyone's cup of tea due to the style of music they sing. It is more opera like and I don't think much of it if anything is in English, but I think they are amazing. I hope to get their CD sometime soon. :rock:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Elfga_265 said:

NO - Definitely Not!!! Unless you are tone deaf! Of course, this music is for the cultured crowd.

Matt

On the Ice
Elfga_265 said:

I have them on my iPod and I personally like them. That being said, as an opera lover, I can see where a lot of the criticism of them is well founded. This isn't a true opera record. It's produced by Simon Cowell and is produced to appeal to the "popera" crowd, i.e the same people who are buying Josh Groban and other classical singers who sing in a pop style. None of the songs on the CD are actual operatic arias ("Nella Fantasia" and "Senza Catene" are popular classical Italian songs and they do sing Sinatra's "My Way"---in Spanish); they're mostly soaring, tugging-at-the-heartstrings, ballads. It's nice to listen to, but I would like to hear them sing something that's actually from an opera to give them a little more clout.

If you guys like these kinds of groups, you should also check out "The Opera Band" by Amici Forever (talk about phenomenal :love: :love: ) or "Larger Than Life" by a very interesting group from Australia called The Ten Tenors

Elfga_265

Match Penalty
;) You know I might give them a second chance and I might end up liking them. I just heard them once and I shouldn't judge upon one listening. Not to mention the guys are cute. This is coming from someone who listens to Nightwosh (who has a soprano for a lead singer)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Matt, thanks for the heads up on the Opera Band. If this site works, here is a sample of their music; I especially like Canto Alla Vita. I noticed that the songs listed are out of order but you can listen to what they sound like and you're right Matt........super!!

The Opera Band

Dee

JOHIO2

Medalist
Congratulations, Elfga, on keeping an open mind. Or should I congratulate those who persuaded you? By the way, I liked them too but I don't buy too many new cds as I have far too many right now!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I finally picked up a copy, and I love it and heartily recommend it to one and all.....42 :agree:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Matt said:
I have them on my iPod and I personally like them. That being said, as an opera lover, I can see where a lot of the criticism of them is well founded. This isn't a true opera record. It's produced by Simon Cowell and is produced to appeal to the "popera" crowd, i.e the same people who are buying Josh Groban and other classical singers who sing in a pop style. None of the songs on the CD are actual operatic arias ("Nella Fantasia" and "Senza Catene" are popular classical Italian songs and they do sing Sinatra's "My Way"---in Spanish); they're mostly soaring, tugging-at-the-heartstrings, ballads. It's nice to listen to, but I would like to hear them sing something that's actually from an opera to give them a little more clout.

If you guys like these kinds of groups, you should also check out "The Opera Band" by Amici Forever (talk about phenomenal :love: :love: ) or "Larger Than Life" by a very interesting group from Australia called The Ten Tenors

No one said it is a true opera record. It's just pleasant to the ears to hear some great singing for a change. Even some of the great tenors and sopranos are making their own versions of Popular music. Rene Flemming just recorded a cd called "Haunted Heart" it contains a variety of music from the Beatles to Joni Mitchell.

The reason IL Divo caught my attention in the first place was because I heard they cover the song "unbreak My Heart" which I hate. I thought maybe their rendition might be half decent and it is. The song is not so bad sung in another language and their voices make the tune not so irritating.

Thanks for the other info, I will check it out.