Star Wars | Golden Skate

Star Wars

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
After seeing the very first Star Wars movie some thirty years ago it was a real thrill to see the final espisode that ties everything together. I can't believe I was only in my twenties when I saw the original Start Wars. I stood in a line-up that went for a couple of blocks!!!! It was such an epic movie and a real hit.

I really enjoyed this last installment and it is sort of sad to think Lucas will not be making anymore. Originally, he was going to make Nine installments, but ended up with Six. Not bad!!!

Well Done George Lucas!!!!

:thumbsup: :agree: :clap:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
There is an active thread on this topic right now.

Yes, I know, but I wanted to put in my own "two cents worth" on this one so started another one.

Buzzz

Final Flight
This is the first time I have heard that Lucas planned 9 movies. I think the series is a classic just the way they are. I am waiting for all six to come out on DVD! hehehehe ;)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Actually, when SW first was released, Lucas said he had outlined a series of 9 movies and that the original SW would be the 4th out of that series. Now he's talking about more SW movies. Wonder where they'd fit in his original ideas?

heyang

Record Breaker
I read somewhere just the other day that Lucas only planned 6 - the unconfirmed rumor was for 9.

He is planning to redo all of them in 3D, which is a huge proponent of the technology.

all 5 of the previous episodes are available on DVD. Some purists don't like the DVD versions of episodes 4 through 6 since Lucas did some re-editing to add scenes that improvements in technology allowed him to do 20+ years after the originals.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
heyang said:
I read somewhere just the other day that Lucas only planned 6 - the unconfirmed rumor was for 9.

He is planning to redo all of them in 3D, which is a huge proponent of the technology.

all 5 of the previous episodes are available on DVD. Some purists don't like the DVD versions of episodes 4 through 6 since Lucas did some re-editing to add scenes that improvements in technology allowed him to do 20+ years after the originals.

Being of the "first generation" that saw the very first Star Wars movie, I remember quite well, Lucas saying nine were in the works, but since it took him so long to make six, he decided to call it quits. Quite likely he will get more mileage out of these movies. Since we all know "the ending" now so to speak, which is really the beginning, he really does not have much material to go on. Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo would all be children growing up and since Luke was not aware of his roots he would know nothing of "The Force" and Jedi Knights. That did not happen until he grew up. In short, it would be a pretty dull Star Wars movie.

heyang

Record Breaker
The rumor was that the last 3 of 9 would be post Return of the Jedi. I remember people calculating that Mark Hamill would be too old to be a young Jedi anymore by the time the 9th was completed, based upon the rate it took it took to produce the 1st 3. If there the last 3 had been filmed, the speculation was that Mark Hamill would have had a cameo as a older wiser Jedi.

When the books were published (of which I've read none so far), people thought that the last 3 would be based upon the children lf Leia and Han.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I am currently reading the book version of the first three movies(Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, & ROTJ) and in an introduction to the book by Lucas, he swears that in the beginning there was only 6 movies planned. So far the book has offered very little new details and nothing new of any great consequence. There are a lot of books surrounding the STAR WARS saga and from the reviews by critics and readers alike, most have been given the thumbs down. Part of me want another 3 movies but I think the best thing to do would be to leave well enough lone. It is a great fairy tale and one I plan on owning the second it hits store shelves! :rock:
If you will, you could compare the Empire to the old USSR, by that I mean the distruction of an Emperor does not necessarily mean the the Empire he ruled dies right away. SO if there is a tv series perhaps it could still be based on the Alliance fighting the break away fractions of the old Empire. Just thinking aloud..... :p :biggrin:

BTW.... I saw a recent picture of Mark Hamill as he looks now, I do not wish to see him in any movie any time soon. Now Harrison Ford is another story.... He is one guy that has aged very well. hehehe :)

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Well, the best thing you can always do is leave an audience wanting more.

After seeing "Sith" last night, I can say that Lucas has achieved that - I left the theatre wanting to see about 2-3 more movies with gorgeous Anakin Skywalker as an adult - wow - what a face - what a physique - what a twisted brooding Darth Vader!!

But that said - I thought that installments 4&5 were awful -so George would probably be wise to 'go out on top' with the hit that "Sith" is. Hat's off to his genius and vision - Star Wars will live forever.

mpal2

Final Flight
Buzzz said:
If you will, you could compare the Empire to the old USSR, by that I mean the distruction of an Emperor does not necessarily mean the the Empire he ruled dies right away. SO if there is a tv series perhaps it could still be based on the Alliance fighting the break away fractions of the old Empire. Just thinking aloud..... :p :biggrin:

There is a whole series of Star Wars books that deal with cleaning up the remains of the Empire. I haven't kept up with any new ones, but I enjoyed reading the ones that were out. There is also a series of the next generation of Jedi - of course taught and led by Luke. I believe there is also a series for the X-wing fighters for the Wedge Antilles character.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I have enjoyed all six of the movies tremendously. I don't understand why people were disappointed with the first two prequels.....they were masterpieces of technology and storytelling. I would love to see further movies, or perhaps a series with the children of Leia and Luke..........may the "force" live on.....42

Vash01

Medalist
show 42 said:
I have enjoyed all six of the movies tremendously. I don't understand why people were disappointed with the first two prequels.....they were masterpieces of technology and storytelling. I would love to see further movies, or perhaps a series with the children of Leia and Luke..........may the "force" live on.....42

I too enjoyed all 6 movies. I do believe people that were in love with the first trilogy could not be satisfied with anything that was different from those movies. I thought they all were wonderful, and Revenge of the Sith may very well be my most favorite.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Vash........."Attack of the Clones" has got to be my fav, followed by "Return of the Jedi". I loved "Revenge of the Sith", but it's ending was too sorrowful for me. I don't think I can watch it again..........well, maybe when it comes out in DVD. I recently purchased episodes 4, 5, and 6 on DVD, (an upgrade from the set I have on VHS). The fourth DVD in the set contains four hours of features, including the making of Star Wars from it's original concept in the early 70's. It's as enjoyable as rewatching any of the episodes......42

Vash01

Medalist
I agree- the ending is too sad for ROTS, which makes ROTJ more enjoyable in a way. If I had not already seen ROTJ, episode 3 would have been much more difficult to watch.

I liked AOTC but it will probably be my second or third most favorite. I liked the happy ending.