Kwan's Omissions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kwan's Omissions

emma

Record Breaker
I guess for me the big question is why is she leaving these things out and falling on the sal THIS (just past) YEAR? I realize many people will say with the latter point something like give her a break, she rarely ever falls....AND believe me I know that; again I'm sort of expressing my concern/worry as well as plain curiosity (i.e., WHAT IS going on?).

She started the season with the camels in both direction....and boom, gone; she started the season leading many of us to think she would add a triple loop in a combo...and NO (although yes, I liked the triple-double-double, neat!); she tantalized us with an interesting opening (all those three turns and hand movements), and boom watered down; Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the charlotte in her exhibition piece, why not in her LP? And, she couldn't quite ever get the spiral sequence right this year, what's up with that? Finally, didn't she change the footwork in her SP from circular to long? why? I liked that nationals version way more.

I realize that maybe these are unanswerable questions...maybe ontly team Kwan knows the answers...but as a huge...ok uber...fan, I'd looooooooovvveee to know more!

Also, about detractors...i'm not so sure that Kwan was AS criticized for lack of new moves as much as she was for having the same program with two different musics (aranjuez and tosca), and for just biding her time and not really committing...I wasn't posting during 2003-04, but my opinion was: FINE, LET HER do this now, SMART MOVE...she is just keeping her feet wet until 06', and she herself implied as much in numerous interviews. The real question for me was/is, did she get the warm up she needed this past season or did something go wrong?

Anyway, another thread said she is 'going for it'...I sure hope so, and I hope my own nerves can take this year.

eliza88

On the Ice
another ommission--original music for her LP. I was pretty surprised when she chose Tosca and Shez...Bolero too...

eliza88

emma

Record Breaker
I remember reading somewhere that Michelle said that every time she heard Irina's music (Tosca) playing in the arena, she loved it. So, I thought it was a perfect choice for what was probably a difficult/indecisive year for her....why not just skate to something you love hearing played loudly in a arena when you are tyring to figure out what you will be doing for the next four years/future.

I do think that one of the amazing things about Kwan, as was just mentioned above, has been her choice of little known/used music, but I don't get down on people who use the well known music either (i do love Shen/Zhao after all), for me it's more about the way they use it. I'll be honest and say, though, that I still don't get what Bolero was about.

mzheng

Record Breaker
I heard her 3loop entry had been changed and rechanged last season. I was not worried at the Campbell since rumor that her loop entry was just changed before that because she was still not 'comfort' with it....But after a few competetions until Nationals her 3loop still MIA, I become worrysome. Then I read the practice report that she was seen practice 3loop at Nationals. So I guess if she 'force' it she still can do it as she did in practic. But 3loop as a single jump pass or tug it at the end of 3Toe or 3Sal? (Since according to Rafael she was practicing 3T/3L, according to some MKF practice report she was doing 3Sal/3Loop, maybe because she was seen doing 3S/3L in past, so fan guessed?). That remains to be seen....

Now that she said it loud and clear that she commited toward turino. With the new rink, family bussiness, etc. The commitment to Olympic, IMO, for her is really not as simple as some ppl would've thought....She's impost some pressure on herslf. Now she must go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I had thought she probably discontinued the Charlotte was because after she did it, then everyone else started doing it. I don't know if it helps much on points either, I doubt it.
Exactly GrGranny. And although she does a lovely Charlotte, Sasha's is a tad better. (That's neither here nor there, but she may not wish to do one that's not perfectly vertical.) 42

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
OK. We are saying that Kwan deliberately leaves out her triple loop after completing them last year. I'll be watching with baited breath this season for a triple loop. By the way, when did you last see the ina bauer, the charlotte, camels in both directions and the 3x3T?

Joe

The Charlotte i can't remember the last i saw one in her competitive program - she had a couple or three seasons of doing a charlotte down the length of the rink then sweeping round with a hand on the ice and doing a one rev spin to come out of it...but i think that may have been back in 2000/2001?

The Ina bauer i've not seen for a looooong time and i think is probably best left in the history books for Kwan because (while it is a beautiful move) flexible skaters like Arakawa and Cohen really have made it their own with their very bendy backs!

The camels in both directions...didn't the first version of bolero from campbells have them in ??? I would have thought using them as a feature to get to a level three spin would be a good idea, she does them well and if she switched edges in either or bot of them she'd be able to ramp up a level three spin.

The last triple/triple she did was in the 2002 worlds qualifying round.

Ant