American Idol Finale... | Golden Skate

American Idol Finale...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
For me anyway, last night was a HUGE dud compared to the top 3 last week. What was Bo thinking???? I think he handed it to Carrie.

Anyone else?

DG

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Doggygirl, I haven't watched every episode of AI but have watched a few times. I would vote for Carrie just based on her raw talent. She does have a beautiful voice, very clear. Bo has too many gimmicks, carrying the mic around, winking and waving and then winking and waving some more. His showmanship will win the comp for him, not his singing. Who will be voting, mostly women I think and who will win, probably Bo. I will keep my fingers crossed for Carrie.

Dee

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Here are my thoughts:

Bo #1 - The song needs fine tuning. There was a part where his voice didn't stand out from the backup singers. That wasn't good. I don't know if it was intentional or not. It was weird to hear an Idol sing a full length song though.

Carrie #1 - Great! She really got into the song.

Bo #2 - (The redo from the season) "Vehicle" Eh. I was not really impressed the first time around with this song. I felt the same way this time.

Carrie #2 - "Independence Day" - She was off. I don't know if she has the range or what, but the chorus, starting with "Let freedom ring!" was off. She did not hit it. She could've blown the roof off the place with that song and she missed her chance. I know how that song should be sung and I can sing it closer to the origional than she did last night. Not a good choice for her. It could've been much better. I wonder if she'd had the chance to sing the whole song if she would've been on in the second verse and chorus. I thought she should've done "Crying" also. I don't know why she didn't.

Bo #3 -The same song as Carrie's first. Weird. I don't get it. Why did they have both of them singing the same song? :scratch: Is this going to be the winner's first release or something? Did they do this the first season with Kelly and Justin? I thought they were supposed to be singing origional songs. Clearly, this one was not an origional. I liked his version of the song. I would buy both his and Carrie's versions. I still don't get it. :scratch:

Carrie #2 - Great!

Overall, I would give the night to Carrie. Like Dee said though, Bo will probably win b/c of the female factor.

I'm so glad Carrie will be singing with Rascal Flatts tonight. They're one of my favorite groups. I wonder what they'll sing. I can't wait for tonight!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
From what I've read Bo has the flu & today it's been reported that he has lost his voice. It was a very boring finale, IMO. I've said it before & I'll say it again, Carrie does not stack up well against the female contestants on Nashville Star. An 18 yr old girl (Erika Jo) won it this year & is head & shoulders above Carrie Underwood. If Carrie wins she'll need all the help that A.I. & Clive Davis can do to make her successful. She is not a great country artist.

Aloft04

On the Ice
Rambling personal opinion:

~I didn't think either one was exceptional. I don't think any real 'star' will rise from this season. Sure, they'll both sell some music, but neither is truly exceptional.

~With all the songs in the world available for selection, I don't understand them both choosing the same mediocre one.

~Carrie forced the songs through her nose and only redeems herself by the 'glory notes', perhaps hoping we'll all forget she was either painfully sharp or dead goat flat leading into them?

~Bo's 'Vehicle' was almost drowned out by an overly ambitious horn section - maybe his 'Vehicle' was caught in a traffic jam, but that's okay - it wasn't a great choice anyway.

~Now to the judges. They were extremely partisan. Standing ovations by judges should be reserved for when they're genuinely earned. Happy Hour should begin after the show.

'Guess I'm not a fan this year.

sk8m8

Final Flight
ITA, what a bummer of a finale. Tonight, both singers were average, the song choices were DREADFUL, and that "AI 'signature song' " was not the most memorable I've heard.

Which brings me to something I've noticed all season....ALL the contestants seemed to be off pitch at some time or the other. Tonight was no exception. I don't see the singers with a playback earpiece (a device you see often with singers, about the size of a hearing aid that helps the singer keep tone and hear the orchestra/band). No "feedback" monitors (those amps at the base of the stage that do the same function, but old fashioned) and a goodly distance from the players. This is not a good recipe for producing a good song from a singer.
If you notice, the really good singers shine in the smaller face off auditions because they are in a smaller room with closer proximity to the piano/musicians.

All of that being said, one night does not a career make. Both these wonderfully talented people will have long careers that will most likely surpass the "flava' of the year" song stylists. I see Nashville totally embracing Carrie and I see Bo either having a great solo career and he could well make it in Country music too, since so much of it is actually country/rock. He could even front a band of his own choosing and do well. The one thing that these two have in common is that real and down-to earth appeal...minimal glitz, glamour and vocal acrobatics....real raw talent.

And I'd also like to say that I would mind if either wins, because in the long run they already have. As a matter of fact, I think these two have the potential to be the closest selling finalist of the series. That would not be hard to do, however I think you may see sales for both singers that approach a "kelly/clay" matchup as far as success. Good luck to both of them

Dante The Beagle

Rinkside
Dee4707 said:
Doggygirl, I haven't watched every episode of AI but have watched a few times. I would vote for Carrie just based on her raw talent. She does have a beautiful voice, very clear. Bo has too many gimmicks, carrying the mic around, winking and waving and then winking and waving some more. His showmanship will win the comp for him, not his singing. Who will be voting, mostly women I think and who will win, probably Bo. I will keep my fingers crossed for Carrie.

Dee

How can Bo carry around the mic and wave and wink and sing? He's more talented than I thought! :rofl: I am obviously for Bo, but I wish them both the best!! :yes: :rock:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
This was odd...

I get up at an ungodly hour - my alarm goes off each day at 4:20 AM, whether I'm ready for it or not. You can imagine that it's not always easy to get moving at that hour, but CNN Radio woke me right up this morning at 4:30 by announcing that Bo Bice had won the fourth season of AI.
Then they started an interview with some friend of the family and cut the piece off while the man was in mid-sentence. ("The first time I heard Bo sing..." Click.)
My guess would be that CNN had a piece ready for whoever won and just played Bo's fourteen hours before they should have, but I'll be watching tonight to see if CNN was correct.
xoxo,
Rave

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Well, it's over & Carrie won. I'm probably crazy for posting the following but I have a gut feeling that Scott Savol is going to have a truly hit recording sometime in the next two or three years. By "truly hit" I mean one that is not generated by American Idol fans. More like a new standard song? A song that other people will cover over the years. :scratch:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dee4707 said:
Who will be voting, mostly women I think and who will win, probably Bo.
Well, that's the first time I was happy to be wrong. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Aloft04

On the Ice
merrywidow said:
I'm probably crazy for posting the following but I have a gut feeling that Scott Savol is going to have a truly hit recording sometime in the next two or three years.

AACK!! The only thing worse would be if William Hung and Michaela sang backup.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Aloft04 said:
AACK!! The only thing worse would be if William Hung and Michaela sang backup.

ITA with that!

I thought Mikayla (however it's spelled) was rather cute doing her "red carpet" commentary. With some training, I think she could be a comic at some level.

They should NOT have let her near a michrophone while music was playing. :)

I enjoyed the show last night much more than Tuesday evenings boredom. Carrie makes a "pretty picture" as an idol, and I suspect the ink is already dry on Bo's record contract.

DG

sk8m8

Final Flight
enjoyed the show last night much more than Tuesday evenings boredom. Carrie makes a "pretty picture" as an idol, and I suspect the ink is already dry on Bo's record contract. DG

True that! I also imagine there are little long haired Bo Bobbleheads sitting on the dock in China, too! :sheesh:

heyang

Record Breaker
Ugh - I should've watched Lost instead of the Final Reveal show. Too much cheese - the show should've only been an hour - not 2. At least Lost is on my TiVo.

In every Idol Finale, I believe there are 2 original songs written just for the particular season of Idol. I really didn't care for either. Inside Heaven was announced as the 1st release of the winner before the winner was declared.

By having to sing the same song, it really allows for a direct comparison of the 2 finalists. By using original songs, it makes more money for the Idol's 1st release since they aren't paying someone else to use their song.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
merrywidow said:
Well, it's over & Carrie won. I'm probably crazy for posting the following but I have a gut feeling that Scott Savol is going to have a truly hit recording sometime in the next two or three years. By "truly hit" I mean one that is not generated by American Idol fans. More like a new standard song? A song that other people will cover over the years. :scratch:

Oh Please....you must be kidding!!! Scott Savol? I think his thirty seconds of fame will be over soon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
What a dull two hours that turned out to be! They just kept drawing it out. What was with all the lame recapping of the season? Showing all the losers. It was awful. Those songs Bo and Carrie sang were horrible. I feel sorry for Carrie having to sing that horrible song. She is trying to make something of the song, but it is lame.

Johar

Medalist
Either winning would've pleased me, so I didn't watch last night, but TWOP (television without pity) makes it sound awesomely bad.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/story.cgi?show=89&story=8041

Here is an article about where are they now of the past winners and runner ups.

It also shows that the show doesn’t make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, so it really doesn’t matter who “wins”. In 3 seasons and 36 top contenders, the show has only launched the careers of 2 bonafide stars, Kelly and Clay. Just because someone can vote 300 times doesn’t mean that they can or will buy 300 albums.

Article:

· 'IDOL' WHO'S WHO
· Kelly Clarkson (winner, 2002)

May be the show's biggest success story, with multimillion-selling records, numerous top-10 hits and sold-out gigs, a movie role, Grammy nomination and lots of play in glossy fashion magazines.

· Justin Guarini (runner-up, 2002)

Dropped from his record label after his 2003 solo debut sold less than 150,000 copies.

· Ruben Studdard (winner, 2003)

Working with star producer Mario Winans on his third album, but seems to have made as many headlines with his health problems (obesity, flu, etc.) than with his music.

· Clay Aiken (runner-up, 2003)

A winner on the charts and with his die-hard fans, called "Claymates." His debut CD, "Measure of a Man," has sold more than 3 million copies. His Christmas CD, released last fall, sold a record 270,000 copies in its first week.

· Fantasia Barrino (2004)

Sold a respectable 850,000 copies of her first CD, but if not for the controversy surrounding "Baby Mama," a current hit single that some say glamorizes the struggles of being an unwed teenage mother, and a recent animated appearance on "The Simpsons," Barrino, might be forgotten.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
That's too bad cause I thought Fantasia was the most talented of all the winners. Kelly Clarkson 2nd to her, though I love Kelly! Don't get me wrong.