I Rescued A Kitten | Golden Skate

I Rescued A Kitten

Friday night I heard the pitiful crying of a kitten in the brambles and bushes across the street from my house (I live in a rural area). Saturday, I sat in the rain armed with cheese, dog food and a bowl of milk until the kitten came out far enough for me to snatch it up. I don't even know yet if it's male or female. I have it settled in a pen, safe from my 15 year old deaf Jack Russell Terrier. It's pretty much just skin and bones but it's fur looks healthy and it's appetite is good. I hope my JRT will remember back to when I used to have 3 cats and she was great pals with one of them. Unfortunately, all my cats met their fate on our road, so I vowed any future cats would be indoors. We haven't had a cat around since 1998.
Here's a picture...we named the cat Philly after the Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.
kittya.png

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Congrats NJSk8Fan!

Philly looks so cute. Bless you for rescuing him/her. Sounds like a great addition to your "family!"

DG

Our household has been a sanctuary to many "rescues" of one type or the other over the 25 years we've been married. We took kittens several times from people who were irresponsible about spaying/nuetering their pets, my husband brought 2 kittens home from the warehouse he worked at. We took in a couple dogs that people "had to give up"...took in 5 rabbits, 2 pregnant, from a family that had them in a town and neighbors complained of the smell....once a kitten ran out of the woods across the street and right up to our front door while I was standing out there and ensconced itself into our family....
It's been fun.....you can see many of our past a present pets if you visit Our Pets

bronxgirl

Medalist
My cat is also a rescue (though the rescue group that I adopted him from gets the credit). Harry is my snugglebunny love. Heres to Philly finding a wonderful home with you!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Amazing web site! Such a wonderful tribute to the animals who were lucky to be loved by you and your family!

Thank you RealtorGal!
I was always strictly a cat person until the collie, Ladd, came along and then totally enamored with JRT's once Aggie came to live with us....I didn't really want her at first, but boy, did she worm her way into the deepest crevice of my heart fast!
Philly seems to be becoming a little more relaxed and secure in her/his new home...keeping the little one safe in the pen and just letting him/her absorb the surroundings and get used to things. I need to get some hands on with him/her soon so I'll know if it's a him or a her! :laugh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Thank you for caring enough to stick it out so you could rescue that poor little kitten :clap: The photo is adorable.

Bless you from me and my baby (Pushi the cat). Let us know how the doggy and the kitty get along eventually.

Yana

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Philly is lucky to be with you, Patch! :love: May he/she continue to adjust well! :agree:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I used to live in the country, and we always found cats, kittens, dogs, puppies, you name it from people who "dumped" them thinking they could survive on their own. We fed a young cat once that was so hungry, it cried as it ate. We tried to fatten them up, and then called the Humane Society to arrange a pick-up. We tried to keep as many as we could. We always had at least two dogs and four cats at any given time. My hat is off to you, NJ, and all of you who either rescue animals, or take in an animal that has been abandoned. We talk a lot about pure breds, but there's something to say for just a plain loveable "mutt". They often make the best pets and don't seem to be prone to the type of illnesses that pure breed animals often get. We once had two pure bred labs who suffered from seizers..............ah well, that's another story........42

lotusland

On the Ice
Congratulations on rescuing "Phillly," he/she looks a little scared but ever so sweet! I hope Philly proves to be a wonderful companion for your JRT.

What a difference a day makes! Philly is beginning to thrive already, tho still skinny, she (we're almost positive "it's" a SHE) is acting like a kitten!
Here's a picture after she'd been in the house with us for about 24 hours and a link to her webpage!
anothercutephillystuffjrt.jpg

Philly's Page

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The kitten is adorable, Patch. Good for you! My son had a similar experience with a cat turning up on his doorstep. He fed it & put water out for it & a few days later the cat (male, btw) turned up with 2 kittens & the 3 have lived in my son's yard ever since. He built them a very fancy house, has a loft, a bed for each cat, is insulated & in the winter heated by electric animal heating pads. This "cat house" sits on his deck so it stays dry year round. :)

Skatehappy

Rinkside
What a cutie, and thriving already. Yes, an indoor cat is the way to go. It's the only way to protect them from traffic, and kitties depend on us for that. Keep us updated. :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I totally <HEART> Philly's web page!!! Congratulations again. It looks like you are doing all the right things to introduce Philly into your family!! Keep us posted, and let us know when new pics are on Philly's page!

DG