I Rescued A Kitten | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I Rescued A Kitten

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
NJ......what a gorgeous kitten. She is lucky that you found her. We currently feed two stray cats.........they live in kitty houses on our front porch. I love cats, but am allegic to their fur, so outside they must go.........42

JOHIO2

Medalist
When I had to put my beloved 19 year old cat to sleep a few months ago, I didn't know if I wanted another cat. After all, I had promised my allergist she would be my last cat (that was 15 years ago, btw :biggrin: ). But I really missed having another being around and my son is still in Iraq, so I felt I needed a distraction. I too believe in rescuing animals in need of homes and didn't really want to go through kittenhood again. Adorable as they are, I got used to an older, more mellow kitty lifestyle.

So, I decided to visit the animal shelter and look for an older cat. I found that they had a dozen or more cats aged 10 or more who needed new homes. I brought home 12 year old Callie (what an original name for a calico. But I'm lazy so she kept her name.) It's been an adjustment for us both, but I think we're both lucky to find each other. Who else would adopt a cranky old lady cat and not send her back to the pound? And who else would live happily with a cranky old lady person but a cranky old lady cat?

BTW, my son's unit is supposed to be returning to the US in two weeks. It can't go fast enough for any of the families. Then, they will be returning to Cleveland about two weeks later, so I am really looking forward to the 4th of July. Now, whether son and cat get along is to be seen. But since he will eventually be returning to Ohio State, I think they'll both live through the brief time they will be together.

Lucky little kitten to find you. I think indoors cat is the way to go. They have a much healthier, long life that way. Plus, who needs fleas and ticks and vet bills from the various injuries and illnesses they pick up outside. :rock:

Best of luck to you and your new kitten.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Totally strange coincidence....right after I hit the send button, my doorbell rang with UPS. I had volunteered to try a new cat food for a consumer survey and I just got a 25 pound bag of Science Diet cat food--a new one for cats aged 12 or older. Who knows if Callie will like it or even eat it. But since she likes Science Diet, I bet she'll eat it. I never expected that their sample would be so large and be the brand my spoiled kitty likes. What are the odds?

Congratulations and KUDOS to you, JO, for adopting the older Callie! I hope you'll have many years with her! Hope she likes the food you volunteered to do the survey for!
I'd like to someday rescue a pair of JRT's(Jack Russell Terriers). There are always a lot of them needing homes. People see them on tv, think they are cute, don't research the breed and end up not being able to deal with them. They have minds of their own and need mental and physical exercise daily. Our JRT is 15 and she didn't start slowing down til around age 12! People think they are a lap dog because they are small and also somehow the misconception that they don't shed runs rampant. Believe you me, they SHED like crazy, even the smooth-coated ones.
Philly sees the vet on 6/2 for an evaluation type check-up...probably no shots yet as she's so tiny. She's turning out to be a real love bug! I can just feel her love for me when I hold her and she falls asleep purring on my chest.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Congrats on your new kitty! She's beautiful.

We are expecting an adoption of a 5 year old beagle to be approved very soon - we should get him on Friday. He was rescued from a kill shelter by a group called the Guardian Angels, and we met him at our local Pet Smart last weekend. We already have two dogs, so they came out and met each other on Tuesday.

The only hang up may be that his foster mother seems to be quite in love with him, and it makes me wonder if she will be able to part with him.

Philly was a brave little trooper at the vets today.
Tested negative for feline lukemia and feline aids. No ear mites, no teeth problems, no eye problems. Being wormed even tho no larvae was in her stool. She's definitely a she, weighs all of 1lb. 8 oz. Got her distemper shot. Vet said she's right about 8 weeks in age, her adult molars are just coming thru the skin.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
She appears to be a healthy little stray. Fortunately she did not catch anything from mamacat. She is so little and young, and a survivor too. You will be the only "Mom" that she remembers. It sounds like she was meant to be yours. :)

Johar

Medalist
She is sooooooo cuuuuute! I love cat and kittens! And a hearty pat on the back for taking her in.

Our now deceased 17-year-old cat found us as a kitten, crying underneath our deck. She was almost too young to be away from her mama and I was afraid of becoming attached to her because I wasn't sure if my parents wanted to keep her.

Gosh, I miss having a pet.

And Johio, kudos to you for adopting older pets. They need love, too.