Olympic Qualifying Competition? | Golden Skate

Olympic Qualifying Competition?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You know how every Olympic season one of the minor competitions is designated as a qualifying event for countries that did not qualify directly thru the previous Worlds? (It was the Golden Spin of Zagreb in 01-02, Vienna Cup in 97-98). Does anyone know what the qualifying competition for Torino is going to be this season? Or have they done away with that and are just going to use the Moscow results this time around?

ATW27

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
Does anyone know what the qualifying competition for Torino is going to be this season?

IIRC, the qualifying competition for Turino will be Vienna Cup, to be held in Vienna, Austria, in October.

Andy W.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info, Andy. Now I just have to figure out who all has qualified how many and how many spots are open, but I probably won't start feeling that obsessive about the whole thing until about September.... :biggrin: :laugh:

Thanks MM. I didn't know what that abrev. was all about either. I just took it like lol which I dont know for sure. I think of it a 'lots of love'.

btw. Does anyone know the list of countries who will definitely be eligible for the Olys and their number of entries? I can figure out who will be named but not entirely, e.g. Definitely Poykio but who? Drei or Kettunen?

But, which skaters will be competing in Vienna for what countries? Any chance of getting a list? There are a few lower tier skaters I think have some potential.

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
lol is laughing out loud joe ... i made a thread in the café for us all. Hopefully it will help.

Last edited:
Olympic roster

Here's the deal so far, according to the June issue of Blades on Ice.

Ladies

Russia 3
USA 3
Italy 2
Japan 3
Finland 2
Ukraine 2
Canada 2
Hungary 2
Croatia 1
Switzerland 1
Germany 1
Austria 1
Sweden 1

Men

Switzerland 2
Canada 3
USA 3
China 2
France 2
Belgium 2
Russia 2 (Plushenko's withdrawal at worlds due to injury cost them a spot)
Germany 1
Bulgaria 1
Sweden 1
Japan 1
Romania 1
Israel 1
Italy 1
Belarus 1

Pairs

Russia 3
China 3
Germany 2
Poland 2
Canada 2
Ukraine 2
USA 2

Dance

Russia 3
USA 3
Ukraine 2
France 2
Bukgaria 2
Israel 2
Canada 2
Italy 2
Great Britain 1

In addition, 6 ladies, 6 men, 4 pairs and 5 dance teams will be added after the qualifying event. These spots are for countries that have not yet qualified anyone. Italy, as host country, can automatically claim one of these spots in pairs, if they have anyone to send.

Conjectures? Who do you think will be added? I'll say Murvanidze from Georgia in mens.

Mathman