Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pure Tenors CD - Another Treat For the Ears

  1. #1
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677

    Pure Tenors CD - Another Treat For the Ears

    Well this one is definitely for the opera purists. It's a collection of pop, opera and movie score pieces sung by some of the great tenors - Jose Carreras, Placido Domingo , Russell Watson and even Luciano Pavoratti. These are not the IL Divo calibre singers, but the real deal. Should be good. I am really on a roll these days. I also am going to pick up Renatta Flemmings CD - Haunted Heart.


  2. #2
    Custom Title merrywidow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,389
    I've never heard of Russell Watson & I've been an opera fan for 50 years. Does he appear at the Met, Covent Garden, LaScala, Paris, Vienna? I've never heard of Renata Flemmings, either, altho there is a well known American soprano by the name of Renee Flemming. Perhaps you meant her?

  3. #3
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    I'm sure Ladskater intended to describe Renée Fleming. While he sings some operatic pieces on his CDs, to my knowledge Watson has never appeared in an opera on stage, though some house with low artistic standards and a need for publicity might end-up putting him in a production...I've heard rumours.... Suffice it to say, I hope they are not true. In my opinion, Watson's diction is deplorable, and as for the top, well, I guess people who like the wailings of the so called "pop divos" might enjoy it, but a serious opera fan, I don't know. I haven't met many who enjoy his work.

    I hope I'm not sounding too negative, I might not like Mr. Watson's voice or his chosen repertoire, or even understand how he has archived the career he has; but as he has sold more recordings than me, has a devoted following, and appears before sold-out crowds around the world, I do have to give him some respect , and perhaps even a tinny bit of admiration.

  4. #4
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    I've never heard of Russell Watson & I've been an opera fan for 50 years. Does he appear at the Met, Covent Garden, LaScala, Paris, Vienna? I've never heard of Renata Flemmings, either, altho there is a well known American soprano by the name of Renee Flemming. Perhaps you meant her?

    My mistake - I meant Renee Flemming - late night typo. Russell Watson is from England and burst on the opera scene awhile ago. I have one of his CDs entitled "The Voice." He is sort of a crossover from pop.

    Here is some info about him:
    http://www.unitedmanchester.com/music/RussellWatson.htm

  5. #5
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldentenor
    I'm sure Ladskater intended to describe Renée Fleming. While he sings some operatic pieces on his CDs, to my knowledge Watson has never appeared in an opera on stage, though some house with low artistic standards and a need for publicity might end-up putting him in a production...I've heard rumours.... Suffice it to say, I hope they are not true. In my opinion, Watson's diction is deplorable, and as for the top, well, I guess people who like the wailings of the so called "pop divos" might enjoy it, but a serious opera fan, I don't know. I haven't met many who enjoy his work.

    I hope I'm not sounding too negative, I might not like Mr. Watson's voice or his chosen repertoire, or even understand how he has archived the career he has; but as he has sold more recordings than me, has a devoted following, and appears before sold-out crowds around the world, I do have to give him some respect , and perhaps even a tinny bit of admiration.
    Thou sounds like an opera snob!!!! No kidding aside, I know many people who are opera buffs that quite enjoy Russell Watson. He has a beautiful voice. He may not be a bonafide opera singer, but he has the pipes indeed. I think the tenor talent pool runs deep and is certainly not restricted to opera itself. In fact, the great tenor Mario Lanza made a career out of signing pop favorites and appeared in many movies and he was an opera star.

    Here is some info on Watson - "The Voice."http://www.unitedmanchester.com/music/RussellWatson.htm

    Info on the great tenor Mario Lanza:
    http://www.rense.com/excursions/lanza/

  6. #6
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    Thou sounds like an opera snob!!!! No kidding aside, I know many people who are opera buffs that quite enjoy Russell Watson. He has a beautiful voice. He may not be a bonafide opera singer, but he has the pipes indeed. I think the tenor talent pool runs deep and is certainly not restricted to opera itself. In fact, the great tenor Mario Lanza made a career out of signing pop favorites and appeared in many movies and he was an opera star.
    Well, I guess I might be an opera snob; years of religious attendance of opera performances around the world, and university study (B.Mus in Opera) have been known to cause that condition. Certainly to be a tenor, which is only a descriptor of an individuals preferred tessitura, does not require that one be an opera singer. However, I dispute calling individuals like Watson and Lanza, however talented they might be "opera stars".

    Lanza sang only one or two complete roles on stage to my knowledge, though compared to Watson, his years of study and work with the Bel Canto Trio certainly give him a certain pedigree. Two roles, and I think one was a student production, hardy a career in opera makes, (though I wish it did because at 21 that’s just about all I’ve got!)

    Mario did portray opera singers in the movies, but is a person who portrays a medical doctor on TV necessarily an MD in actuality? Lanza’s lasting fame comes from his movies and recordings of popular songs. Certainly most persons of my generation know him better as a singer of songs like “Be My Love” than Verdi arias. As a singer of popular songs with a more “classical technique”, there are only a handful or so that can be considered his peers and perhaps but four who have done it better Joseph Schmidt, Richard Tauber, Jan Kiepura and Frtiz Wunderlich. Needless to say, I don’t think it’s fair to compare Lanza with Watson, and certainly not with the likes of Wunderich, Domingo, Pavarotti or Corelli.

    As for having "the pipes", I think that is purely a matter of opinion, but I like my singers to be able to give recitals and sing onstage without amplification. Otherwise, to relate it to skating, it would be like doing your jumps in competition with the assistance of a harness.

    When it comes to singers, whoever gives you pleasure can be your star. It’s all a matter of taste and preference, opera junkies just tend to think our opinion is worth a little more, and I think that might just say more about us than the individuals we critique.

    Happy listening Ladskater!

  7. #7
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    281
    I have the Il Divo CD and I really enjoy it, I like the way their voices interact, unlike G4 (pop idol) when I always feel like there is one very dominant voice and I happen to really dislike the particular voice that dominates.

    I am not an Opera buff but living in Wales, I do know what I like and what I don't. Russell Watson, imo, has a pleasant voice but I could never get into him or his singing, possibly it has a lot to do with what he chooses to sing. Among the lesser known opera singers I enjoy are people like Bryn Terfel, Aled Jones and I do like the clarity of Hayley Westernra's voice, although like Charlotte Church I wish she waited until she was a little older to allow her voice more time to mature.

    Carreras, Pavarotti and Domingo are of course in a class of their own along with the likes of Callas and te Kanawa.
    Last edited by diver chick; 06-01-2005 at 05:22 AM.

  8. #8
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by diver chick
    I have the Il Divo CD and I really enjoy it, I like the way their voices interact, unlike G4 (pop idol) when I always feel like there is one very dominant voice and I happen to really dislike the particular voice that dominates.

    I am not an Opera buff but living in Wales, I do know what I like and what I don't. Russell Watson, imo, has a pleasant voice but I could never get into him or his singing, possibly it has a lot to do with what he chooses to sing. Among the lesser known opera singers I enjoy are people like Bryn Terfel, Aled Jones and I do like the clarity of Hayley Westernra's voice, although like Charlotte Church I wish she waited until she was a little older to allow her voice more time to mature.

    Carreras, Pavarotti and Domingo are of course in a class of their own along with the likes of Callas and te Kanawa.


    I have always had the opinion that most Welsh people have the gift of signing, but maybe I am influenced by movies such as "How Green Was My Valley" and the great tunes of Tom Jones!!!!

    At any rate, I enjoy Watson's singing - certainly a tad better than I could muster and much easier on the ears than any American Idol singer could warble.

    Charlotte Church is also one of my favorites and I enjoy listening to Aled Jones although one does not hear his music now. I wonder how much his voice changed.

    It's all music to my ears.

  9. #9
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Heldentenor
    Well, I guess I might be an opera snob; years of religious attendance of opera performances around the world, and university study (B.Mus in Opera) have been known to cause that condition. Certainly to be a tenor, which is only a descriptor of an individuals preferred tessitura, does not require that one be an opera singer. However, I dispute calling individuals like Watson and Lanza, however talented they might be "opera stars".

    Lanza sang only one or two complete roles on stage to my knowledge, though compared to Watson, his years of study and work with the Bel Canto Trio certainly give him a certain pedigree. Two roles, and I think one was a student production, hardy a career in opera makes, (though I wish it did because at 21 that’s just about all I’ve got!)

    Mario did portray opera singers in the movies, but is a person who portrays a medical doctor on TV necessarily an MD in actuality? Lanza’s lasting fame comes from his movies and recordings of popular songs. Certainly most persons of my generation know him better as a singer of songs like “Be My Love” than Verdi arias. As a singer of popular songs with a more “classical technique”, there are only a handful or so that can be considered his peers and perhaps but four who have done it better Joseph Schmidt, Richard Tauber, Jan Kiepura and Frtiz Wunderlich. Needless to say, I don’t think it’s fair to compare Lanza with Watson, and certainly not with the likes of Wunderich, Domingo, Pavarotti or Corelli.

    As for having "the pipes", I think that is purely a matter of opinion, but I like my singers to be able to give recitals and sing onstage without amplification. Otherwise, to relate it to skating, it would be like doing your jumps in competition with the assistance of a harness.

    When it comes to singers, whoever gives you pleasure can be your star. It’s all a matter of taste and preference, opera junkies just tend to think our opinion is worth a little more, and I think that might just say more about us than the individuals we critique.

    Happy listening Ladskater!
    Hmm....It's all music to my ears. Thanks for the relply.

Similar Threads

  1. My Tapes For Trade/Sale
    By manhn in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 11:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •