Summer Slump in TV Land - What are You Watching? | Golden Skate

Summer Slump in TV Land - What are You Watching?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Now all the season finales have come and gone and some programs like Everybody Loves Raymond have closed the final chapter it's really hard to find anything on tv. Sunday night's line up used to be pretty good, but now Desperate Housewives is all reruns. There is nothing much to look forward to.

I have a million DVD and VHS movies lined up to watch. Of course, there are always my skating tapes to rewatch. My trips to the library should become more frequent. I have been going to the park in the evenings to read and listen to my radio. It's actually nice to get away from the tube habit now and then.

Canadian Idol will be starting this Wednesday - I may tune in. Afterall, I suffered through American Idol, I should at least support Canadian Idol. Last years was pretty good, I hope this one is worth watching.

So what are you watching?

:biggrin:

lotusland

On the Ice
Coronation Street and Coronation Street Classics that began yesterday on Country Canada. And, my new favourite, Doctor Who.

Otherwise, I'm settling for reruns of Da Vinci's Inquest (lurve Nicky Campbell!), CSI, Law & Order and House.

Thanks for the idea about going to the park to read and people watch, think I'll join you.

heyang

Record Breaker
I'm going to give miniseries Into the West, contest Dancing with the Stars (because I enjoy watching ballroom) and reality The Cut (with Tommy Hilfiger) a try.

Also USA network's The 4400 is returning. The premise is that several people have been kidnapped by aliens - 4400 are suddenly returned together. Physically, their bodies are the same as the day they were taken - for the most part. Of course, the returnees were kidnapped from different times and have missed several years. They also appear to have powers that they are discovering. One of the returnees is played by Billy Campbell (who co-starred wtih Sela Ward in Once and Again); he appears to want power and is obssessed with the pregnancy of one of the other returnees. She had a family who thought she was dead (of course) and they have moved on (hubby remarried). Not sure if the baby his former hubby's or.... She is living with another returnee who was taken in the midst of the Korean War. A child kidnapped pre-WW2 has the power to see the future, which creeps everyone out. Of course, there's the interaction between the returnees and the people who view them with mistrust, too. Anyway, give it a try if you like Sci-fi.

Otherwise, I'll be prepping for my brother's surprise 40th bday party, golfing and reading.

Aloft04

On the Ice
We've become Netflix junkies! I love how easy it is and the selection.

My husband (Mr. Aloft04) has undergone some significant hearing loss recently so we've watched dozens of truly excellent foreign language films with subtitles. Great fun that we enjoy immensely and will continue even when he gets his new hearing aid next week because neither of us has ever been a fan of formulaic Hollywood movies.

He'll be able to hear how loud I crunch my popcorn though then....

merrywidow

Record Breaker
If anyone is interested in watching some straaaange reality shows check out VH1. Especially BSTV. I'll probably watch "Big Brother" even tho I swear every summer that I won't ever watch it again, "The Cut" & "The Biggest Loser". Also, Wimbledon & the Tour de France.

K-Mo

On the Ice
One thing my husband and I like to do is get a TV series on DVD and marathon watch it. It's fun that way. We have new seasons of Scrubs and Seinfeld that just came out to watch. Otherwise, we spend a lot more time going to the movies than during the rest of the year.

heyang

Record Breaker
Here's a link to The 4400 site

The 4400

They'll re-air the 1st season episodes on June 5th. The 2nd season picks up a year later.

Baseball!!!(Philadelphia Phillies)

I think a Big Brother is supposed to start in July or August, we'll watch that.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I have a few projects I am working on tape wise so I will probably get a lot of those done this summer. I started condensing my Athens Olys coverage (the gymnastics and swimming) down to compilations and most of that is great to watch when you've got nothing else to watch on TV. I've meant to do this since the Olys happened and yeah, its like nine months later and I am finally up to working on the gymnastics AA competitions! I got through both of the gymnastics team competitions all ready and most of the swiming has been done as well. :agree: So that's big project number one which I should have done sometime before Torino, LOL :laugh:

I also taped a lot of skating over the season but I know I haven't watched it all yet so I will probably check out those random tapes from time to time to make sure I am caught up on all the coverage from this past season. I konw for a fact that I've not watched all the GP events yet nor have I watched all of Worlds 2005 yet. Whoops. ;)

And as far as TV shows go, I will be watching all the Lost reruns because I missed bits and pieces of that show during the season. I will also probably watch Big Brother just because its totally hilarious. Other than that though, there is NOTHING else either in reruns or in first run reality crap shows coming out this summer that has caught my eye so I will probably be watching more movies and tapes through the summer. I also plan to get outside and walk more now that the weather is nice again so hopefully it stays that way! :cool:

Last edited:

milanessa

Rinkside
lotusland said:
Coronation Street and Coronation Street Classics that began yesterday on Country Canada.

I don't get Country Canada but am thinking about subscribing - only to watch the Corrie Street classics. :laugh: Can you give me more info? Is it on every night? Do they show it in order or is it random episodes? The web site isn't very helpful and I don't have access to a programming guide. Thanks.

gerry

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I also have been stocking up on dvd's to enjoy now that the summer slump is upon us. I always hit up the previously viewed sections of my local video stores, they often have deals like 4 dvds for 20 bucks. Its actually just as cheap as renting a new release that you only get to view for a few days.

My recent purchases have been:
Last of the Mohicans
Legends of the Fall
American Beauty
As Good As it Gets
Working Girl

Another thing I have really started enjoying lately is watching the director's commentary tracks of my dvds. Some of them can be boring, but often you get cool insights into the making of the movies. My favorite directors commentary track so far is on the spinal tap dvd... its almost as funny as the movie itself.

K-Mo

On the Ice
Longhornliz said:
I also have been stocking up on dvd's to enjoy now that the summer slump is upon us.

Me too! I'm a DVD nut! If I have a day where I can be lazy somtimes I like to have DVD marathon days. I like to pick a few (usually 3) movies that have a common theme. The theme changes all the time to keep it interesting. They can be anything from common actors, directors, setting of the movie, similar movie titles, genres, occupations, etc....
Unfortunately, I do this more than I should. I should be enjoying the summer, but I'm in Arizona where it's TOO HOT to do the things I'd like. I have to get up before the sun or wait for it to go down.