Article on how Visa is planning to promote Turino (Kwan centered) | Golden Skate

Article on how Visa is planning to promote Turino (Kwan centered)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I understand that a lot of athletes take off the month of May or June, and, only begin their training during June or July. Michelle probably has already filmed a bunch of the ads (or had the photos taken) -- or will do so shortly, so it shouln't interfere with training. Plushy is scheduling his wedding for mid-June, and I think being photographed will take less time and energy (and be less of a distraction) than getting married.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I understand that a lot of athletes take off the month of May or June, and, only begin their training during June or July. Michelle probably has already filmed a bunch of the ads (or had the photos taken) -- or will do so shortly, so it shouln't interfere with training. Plushy is scheduling his wedding for mid-June, and I think being photographed will take less time and energy (and be less of a distraction) than getting married.

Probably, all Evgeni has to do is get a tuxedo and show up on time.

Doing the Visa ads early will give Michelle income so she can say no to opportunities later that would interfere with training and competing, and so, this is very smart from a fiscal point of view. When she does the GP events, she will also earn prize money. I would assume she and her team have considered all of this, as funding her skating is expensive, and have a finacial plan for the next 8 to 10 months.

The royalties from the ads will help her funding quite a bit, as will successful competing.

As I read it, these ads are to hype the Olympics. In every sport, I believe that the top athletes have an obligation to lend their name and image to the promotion of the sport.

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing these ads.

I think this is beginning to shape up to prove my point- this will be a media fest for Kwan. She's the most recognized of the skaters; I can't see why she wouldn't be the favorite here, regardless of how "badly" she's done in the past two years.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog, I think she will be the "sentimental' favorite for sure. But I don't know about really being favored to win. It all depends on how she does during the season.

heyang

Record Breaker
I wonder what I have to do to get a Visa card with MK on it since I'm already a Visa cardholder.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
ChiSk8Fan said:
Doing the Visa ads early will give Michelle income so she can say no to opportunities later that would interfere with training and competing, and so, this is very smart from a fiscal point of view. When she does the GP events, she will also earn prize money. I would assume she and her team have considered all of this, as funding her skating is expensive, and have a finacial plan for the next 8 to 10 months.

The royalties from the ads will help her funding quite a bit, as will successful competing.

While I don't believe Michelle is set for life - although, with smart financial planning she may be - I don't think she really has to worry about money these days!

Will I get a discount if I use my Michelle Kwan Visa card to buy my next set of Maxxim tires?

kyla2

Final Flight
Michelle

Visa couldn't have a better spokesperson. Good for them! She is such a role model, win or lose she can do nothing but help Visa. Michelle should be financially stable for the rest of her ife. She has good people around her to advise her on investments etc. She hasn't spent her money on a mega million dollar house, furs, jewelry etc. I am very glad she is still getting endorsements and that advertisers see her value.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IIRC, Phil Hersch once mentioned she was set for life -- and that was before SLC, a long COI tour, the Disney gig, and a few other additions. She probably is well set up financially for the rest of her life. She has been earning prize and appearance money (as well as tour money) since she was 13 -- and by California law, a court-approved chunk of that money must go into a trust fund for her benefit.

curious

Final Flight
kyla2 said:
Visa couldn't have a better spokesperson. Good for them! She is such a role model, win or lose she can do nothing but help Visa. Michelle should be financially stable for the rest of her ife. She has good people around her to advise her on investments etc. She hasn't spent her money on a mega million dollar house, furs, jewelry etc. I am very glad she is still getting endorsements and that advertisers see her value.

she is a smart girl grabbing everything she can now. there's not alot of money in the sport anymore.

CDMM1991

Medalist
attyfan said:

Don't want to be mean but who the hell is marrying evgeny plushenko??

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
Don't want to be mean but who the hell is marrying evgeny plushenko??

It's not me, but I'm still holding out hope for my One Night Stand. You know.... teach him the wiley ways of an older woman - something along those lines. :p

DG

brad640

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
It's not me, but I'm still holding out hope for my One Night Stand. You know.... teach him the wiley ways of an older woman - something along those lines. :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap: :rock:

CDMM1991

Medalist
Doggygirl said:

DG

To be honest all I can say is EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CDMM. I had to edit your post to put spaces in between your W's, OK? The V-board software reads that all as one big long word, and it stretches out the window to accomodate it, then people have to scroll back and forth to read the thread.

Mathman:)