Wishes for the future - Pro Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Wishes for the future - Pro Skating

TheBitch

Match Penalty
soogar said:
Also Bobek can't even compete with a novice lady, let alone Oksana. Oksana has a triple lutz in her arsenal while Nicole was only throwing single axels and easy doubles. Maybe Bobek vs. Sarah Hughes :p would be a better match.

Oh, a battle of the fat ladies?

Linny

Final Flight
Meanie

Guess the previous poster's screen name says it all. Neither Oksana nor Sarah are fat. For that matter, nor are Katarina Witt or Roz Sumners or Dorothy Hammel - just showing womanly curves.
Linny

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
mememe-Wow, you are not the only one who feels that way and I just had to tell you that I completely agree with your entire post. That was VERY nicely stated and thank you for posting that here. :rock:

Boitano's Wild Elephants program (and most of Kristi's pro programs for that matter) remains one of my all time fave programs to this day simply because he went outside the box, tried something new, and totally had a blast skating it. That was fun! Skating should be fun sometimes, right?! :yes: :agree:

Eeyora

Final Flight
It is a shame that now many associate "going pro" with retiring when only ten years ago it was considered the second part of a skater's career.

mememe

On the Ice
KwanFan1212 said:
mememe-Wow, you are not the only one who feels that way and I just had to tell you that I completely agree with your entire post. That was VERY nicely stated and thank you for posting that here. :rock:

Boitano's Wild Elephants program (and most of Kristi's pro programs for that matter) remains one of my all time fave programs to this day simply because he went outside the box, tried something new, and totally had a blast skating it. That was fun! Skating should be fun sometimes, right?! :yes: :agree:

Thanks KwanFan1212. I'm glad someone else enjoyed pro comps for what they were and what the skaters did. I think skating should be fun sometimes, too -- and I also believe there are ways to have "fun" events that still mean something to the participants and fans and can still be a "sport."

Joesitz said:
Mememe - WOW!!! But you have to admit, the antics of the 90s drove skating off the television all together. NASCAR and golf continue on Sunday viewing in addition to the team-sport games. There was a budding skating sport before the 90s antics which unfortunately was replaced by the kids having fun.
I'm not sure what you mean here, Joesitz. I don't think figure skating is "off the television all together" -- at least, I watched quite a bit of it this season on TV. And part of the "budding skating sport" on the TV leading into the 90s was, by the by, pro skating (the World Pro was getting into prime time by the early 90s, people were really watching and apparently enjoying the past champs while learning to like the new ones, too). In fact, the "90s antics" would, I believe, have to include the eligible skating scene as much as the pros. One of the worst "antics" for the sport of skating as a whole, in my opinion, was the belittling attitude of the ISU/USFSA toward pro skating in the 90s (much like yours, in fact). Instead of banding together and trying to make all skating good and legitimate, you'd get USFSA head honchos telling all and sundry that pro skating was terrible, it was just joining the circus, pro comps were awful -- oh, wow, they have dumb things like "Battle of the Sexes" and team competitions like "Ice Wars" and such and they're so DUMB and so non-legit! Of course, the next week we'd get a USFSA pro-am or whatever they called it, and guess what, it would be a "team" competition or (yes, at least once) even a "Battle of the Sexes." And then, of course, the USFSA officials would blather about how wonderful THIS competition was because it was LEGIT -- and we'd see perfect scores awarded to people who fell once or twice or made other mistakes. And oh -- when the pros were competing in USFSA or ISU pro-ams, they were wonderful. When they were competing in pro events, they were dirty old pros and not worth watching. Cinquanta was equally dismissive of pro skating. Then, of course, some pro skaters gave back in kind, belittling amateur skating.

Continued diatribes against different aspects of the sport only give naysayers lots of ammunition to talk, write and broadcast about and confuses the audience that is looking for and hoping to enjoy the sport (let's see, I enjoyed Boitano and Yamaguchi this week, but am told next week while watching Michelle Kwan that what B and Y did was really stupid and not legitimate, the judging and rules are totally non-acceptable, but the event Kwan was in was wonderful. Then next week, she's in the same type of event I saw Boitano and Yamaguchi in two weeks ago -- and gee, they are there, too -- and this week, they are wonderful and so is the event. Then next week, I watch a "legitimate" event and can't begin to figure out the outcome, then read that there are judging improprieties. Then I watch the Olympics and am told judges are blatantly cheating -- so, what am I to believe? I'll just believe the whole sport is corrupt and won't watch anyone anymore).

I don't see the PGA putting down the Champions Tour -- OK, the guys are older and most of them couldn't compete on the PGA Tour, but they get support from the entire pro golf world. Pro golf reveres its past champions, rather than belittling them. Ditto for auto racing, NFL, etc. But that hasn't been true overall in skating (hey, Dorothy Hamill's great, but if she participates in the U.S. Pro, she's just a dirty old pro), and I believe THOSE "antics" really hurt the sport in the 1990s, and continue to hurt it today.

Mememe - If you thought that the pro competitions on Sunday afternoons during the 90s were great sport, then that is your view of the times - not mine. I am not speaking of the pro sports before the 90s, although some of them were not skated all that seriously.

If dressing up with a rag doll attached to you, or wearing l920s golf attire, or pretending to be Marilyn Monroe is SPORT to you and not exhibition-like, we are in complete disagreement.

Too bad your taste in sports is not shared by sports fans. The pro competitions were withdrawn due to lack of interest by the public.

Joe

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hi mememe!

Add me to the list of pro figure skating fans! I look forward to watching pro skating more than eligible skating even though I love both and really couldn't do without either.

As far as the declining audience for pro skating...that goes for all skating and sports in general too. Actually I think the TV ratings for pro skating have regularly done better than or at least equal to the ratings for eligible skating with the exception of the Olympics of course. I believe that Ice Wars still gets better ratings than Nationals (could be wrong there). I'm not saying in any way that that makes it a better competition. I'm only saying that the pro skaters are still a big draw to audiences. The reason pro competitions went by the wayside in my opinion are: one...the ISU came in and overtook the pro competitions in 1998 and made them pro-ams, ruined them and then promptly left and two...the ISU then let eligible skaters make money and less skaters turned pro. Add the fact that the "golden age" pros were ready to lessen their schedules and didn't want to "compete" so much anymore and the pro competitions died out. I have to say that I'm worried about eligible skating too. It's not like they will stop having Worlds or Nationals, etc., but look at what's happening with the TV coverage...makes me very sad.

At any rate, I love pro skating. And not everything has to be a competition. I enjoy seeing skaters perform freely...it's nice to see the eligible exhibitions for the same reason. I love watching the ensembles too of the pro shows and SOI, etc. I just love watching skating period!

Oh dear. I have to disagree with Mememe and Kwanfan1212 about Brian Boitano's Wild Elephants. Brian is just too stiff to bring the funk. He should leave that to Kurt "Play-that-funky-music-white-boy" Browning.

MM:)

purplecat said:
Hi mememe!

At any rate, I love pro skating. And not everything has to be a competition. I enjoy seeing skaters perform freely...it's nice to see the eligible exhibitions for the same reason. I love watching the ensembles too of the pro shows and SOI, etc. I just love watching skating period!
Many people do enjoy a skating show on TV but I do not believe they enjoy it as a sport. JMO.

Purple Cat - I'd love to check out those ratings. Where can I find them?

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Add me to the list of those had tremondously enjoyed the mid 90s Sunday afternoon pro comptetions. It was from those procompetetions that I developed the interest to watch the amature rink figure skating competetion. I started follow those pro skating competetion long before US Nationals. Can you imagine?

But now I complete indifference to pro skating. There is no quality any more. JMO.

Read in FSU that Yagudin is waiting fro Plushin's retirement. May be after Turino, there is hope to revive the pro competetions. I'm sure would hope that after Turin some of top ladies who had been competed at the top of sports will go retiring. The question is if they are interested in pro competing and who is going to be the orgnizer?

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Purple Cat - I'd love to check out those ratings. Where can I find them?
Joe

Hi Joe! I did some checking around and best I can ascertain is that last year's Ice Wars did a 4.6 rating with an 8 share and Nationals (Saturday night coverage) did a 4.7 rating with an 8 share. So Ice Wars did NOT beat the Nationals ratings. I was wrong (as I said I could be), but I would say their ratings were comparable. I know in the heyday of the World Pros it would rank as some of the highest watched skating of the year (I believe BOI used to show year-end ratings for skating.)

Anyway, my point wasn't to say who gets better ratings. Mainly what I was trying to say is that people are still interested in watching the pros. Much of the audience who watch skating can't even differentiate between the two! I think the two (eligible and pro) have always followed the same trend (both up or down). And unfortunately right now skating on TV (whether pro or eligible) is low on the ratings. While checking around for those ratings I found that in 2000, the rating for Nationals was 8 point something. Now it's nearly half that. :frown: I hope skating will make a comeback of sorts in the ratings, BOTH in pro and eligible.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Oh dear. I have to disagree with Mememe and Kwanfan1212 about Brian Boitano's Wild Elephants. Brian is just too stiff to bring the funk. He should leave that to Kurt "Play-that-funky-music-white-boy" Browning.

You forget, Brian was competing with Kurt who had just finished his own funked out routine to (I think) "Play that Funky Music" so it was funk against funk there. Brain went outside the box in a rare moment of experimentation with a new style and I thought it was fabulous of him to do that. I had fun watching and that's all that matters to me. Psh....come on now Mathman! Get out of the box!! LOL :rock:

purplecat said:
Anyway, my point wasn't to say who gets better ratings. Mainly what I was trying to say is that people are still interested in watching the pros. Much of the audience who watch skating can't even differentiate between the two! I think the two (eligible and pro) have always followed the same trend (both up or down). And unfortunately right now skating on TV (whether pro or eligible) is low on the ratings. While checking around for those ratings I found that in 2000, the rating for Nationals was 8 point something. Now it's nearly half that. :frown: I hope skating will make a comeback of sorts in the ratings, BOTH in pro and eligible.
Ok purple cat - I think that Ice Wars is a somewhat serious competition. there is prize money. But they change sides each time and it is not like a league competition. It's who ever is available. Nothing that serious.

However, as entertainment is probably would sell to a Sunday afternoon crowd on TV provided the husband is not watching another sport.

Joe