The Three Top Ladies of the Worlds | Golden Skate

The Three Top Ladies of the Worlds

We have Slutskaya, Cohen and Kostner. Three worthy contenders for the 2006 Olympics. It comes only once every 4 years and everyone in the competition will have the jitters except those who know there is little chance for them to podium.

It looks to me, like the Olys will have a repeat of the previous Worlds at this point in time. I am not convinced, however, that Slutskaya will be on top. I suspect Kostner to be there. I think Cohen will hold fast her silver placement. I am making these statements - at this point in time - while thinking about the work ethic of the three top ladies, the venue, the age, the conscious effort to put choreography and music together.

With the exception of Cohen, a genuinely improved presentation by Slutskaya and Kostner is a must. Cohen, of course, will have to up the technical but she will rise above that.

Knocking at the door, of course, there is a full array of wannabee gold and podium Olympians - all very good figure skaters! Can one sneak in?

I am waiting with the battered around baited breath for the GPs this year which will move the 'this point in time' to a more 'realistic time' approaching the Olys together with a good look at 4CCs and Euros.

However, as stated above, the jitters will be a factor.

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Joe -- sounds to me that you are expecting 2002 to repeat itself. I'm not so sure.
First, Kostner is definitely an unknown factor. She skated poorly when the European championships were in Torino; the home country pressure will be ten times greater at Olys than at Euros. She also came in fourth at worlds in both the SP and LP -- and Olys doesn't have a QR. Second, history might repeat itself for another skater. For example, Shizuka Arakawa was on the world podium for the first time 2 years before Olys; bombed when skating to R & J at Worlds the year before Olys -- do you remember Ilya Kulik? Remember Nancy Kerrigan and think of the parallels to Miss Kwan -- prior world medalist, reigning Oly bronze, Vera Wang dresses; pressured by skater who does a triple axel; skated unexpectedly badly at the Worlds the year before Olys, only to have the skate of her life at Lillehamer in 1994.

K-Mo

On the Ice
I also think it's too hard to call this one until after the GPs. Just out of curiosity, Joe, what makes you think Carolina will win the gold? I have not seen enough of her skating to have an informed opinion. From what I saw, I think she has it in her to be great, but she's not quite there--yet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hmm...not too sure about this one. I think there will be a dark horse that will break through. The burning question is, Who will it be??

I seriously would be shocked if the podium at OLYS looked exactly like '05 worlds.

The only person listed with all but a lock on the podium is Slutskaya. And even then she has to stay healthy enough to skate, and deal with the Olympic pressure. Maybe it'll be less than in 2002? Or more?

Cohen? Off the podium. If the National pressure hurts her, the Olympic pressure will kill her.

Kostner? There will be a LOT of pressure on her. I don't think she handles pressure well. I don't think she'll be as lucky as she was this year. Maybe 5th? 6th?

Maybe I'm a little harsh or pessimistic, but this is how I see it. I realize there will have to be somebody to fill in spots number two and three. And like 2002, they could go to skaters who had a less-than-spectacular performance. To win the Gold, it seems like you have to really go for it, and not hold back. I don't see Kwan, Cohen, or even Slutskaya just going for it with total abandon. But, of course, people CAN be proven wrong.

K-Mo said:
I also think it's too hard to call this one until after the GPs. Just out of curiosity, Joe, what makes you think Carolina will win the gold? I have not seen enough of her skating to have an informed opinion. From what I saw, I think she has it in her to be great, but she's not quite there--yet.
K-Mo. You are absolutely right. We need to see more skating from all the skaters. There are so many good ones in this coming Olys. However, I put this topic in as summer thought on what we already know.

It's all about 'this point in time'. I see Kostner at the right age. I see her as the hometown favorite, I see her as the underdog having the breakthrough skate. I see the 3x3x3 and the 3x3s, the incomparable speed, the little girl charm, the roar of the crowd, a more confident Carolina with a much improved presentation.

One slip by Irina and it is Kostner's Olys. I believe the judges will go subjectively more for a European over the American, Sasha.

But, as we know, the GPs, the 4CCs, the Euros, will confuse us all the more.

Joe

cianni

On the Ice
Olys

Joe, I take it that Michelle isnt going to the Olys. I thought she was. My mistake.

R.D.

Record Breaker
cianni said:
Joe, I take it that Michelle isnt going to the Olys. I thought she was. My mistake.

She just committed to them (unless there was a change of plan I didn't hear about...?)

About Kostner, I'm going to have to be "devil's advocate" here and say that I don't think she'll handle the pressure very well, and falter.

emma

Record Breaker
In 2002, Sarah Hughes, IMO, performed better with each program that year, culminating in her - i think- best performance ever in the Olympics. Now, I was no Huges fan, but I was convinced she would medal, i just never imagined it would be gold (i was guessing a potential american sweep...or a Slutskaya silver with the other two US, cohen and Huges battling it out for bronze; of course I thought Kwan would take the gold, depsite the difficult year and her LP at that time being one of my least favorite of hers). Anyway, maybe because of that, I'm looking to the outside potentials...and now see Costner as a huge potential; certainly, based on this logic, it will all come down to GP's (for predicting)...but at the moment, I would say she is very potentially in the mix. But...still following the Huges biased logic, didn't she wind bronze at worlds 01? Again, the parallel is just on my mind.

I do think the Slutskaya is, at this moment, the hands down favorite, but so much can happen with her due to health, and nerves at the big one. Same with Kwan...not health so much as nerves. And I really do see Cohen, at the moment, on the podium, likely silver. She CAN win this hands down, but again that something something that happens to her at big comps gets in the way.

cianni said:
Hi Cianni Michelle is going to the Olys unless you know something we don't. The reason MK is not listed in the top 3 at Worlds is because she was not in the top 3. She gets a lot of play on the Forum, and there is no word we will see her skating in competitions with international judges! We may not actually see her competing on the international circuit until the Olys.

I thought it would be nice to read some fans thoughts of the three top gals at this moment in time.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone is jumping on the Slutskaya bandwagon. I don't even see her in the medals. Plus with the new requirement that the skater's skate must be over the skater's head for the Biellmann to count will really hurt Irina b/c she can barely get her body into the proper Biellman position (her knee is way bent).

I think Carolina is the one to take it all. As much as I love Sasha's skating, she's getting kind of stale to me. It seems like she's doing the same thing over and over. Carolina is young and fresh and I don't know why anyone can compare her to gawky Sarah Hughes. The only thing they have in common is their standings going into the Olympics and the height. Carolina is a lovely skater with speed and grace. Sarah was this clunky skater who couldn't even hold her body right while she skated. I just watched Sarah's winning Olympic program and it looks even worse the second time around than the first.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone is jumping on the Slutskaya bandwagon. I don't even see her in the medals. Plus with the new requirement that the skater's skate must be over the skater's head for the Biellmann to count will really hurt Irina b/c she can barely get her body into the proper Biellman position (her knee is way bent).

I think the thing here is that Slutskaya has been so dominant this past season that it's hard to see her not medalling at OLYs.

But, you got me thinking...are the odds really in Slutskaya's favor? First, the altitude- she didn't skate well at all at Europeans (however it was enough to win). I think that the same skate at the Olympics will NOT win her the Gold. Second, her illness- and this could tie in with the altitude. That's an X-factor. And third, I believe she got a boost from being at home at Moscow '05. Can she repeat a performance like that under additional pressure, in a foreign country? Stay tuned.

I'll tell you one thing though. The OLYs roll around coming Feb. of '06, and the events in the Figure Skating event that unfold will prove ALL of us wrong. Will there be another scandal?

I personally don't understand the people jumping on the Kostner bandwagon. I've explained already why I don't think she'll win (although anything can happen), but it's like old times. Remember in 2003 people crowning her '06 Olympic Champion? Someone's waiting in the wings here to bust out. Someone from Japan? They look like a threat to podium/win to me.

TheBitch

Match Penalty
Slutskaya's skating is as ugly and her scores way overinflated as ever. Overrated Kostner, who barely made it to the podium with her 4th place SP and LP finishes, is just a jumping bean who can't interpret her programs whatsoever. And Cohen? As usual, she'll fall on her butt and fail when it counts. We better have someone who can deliver the goods or 2006 will be one of the ugliest Olys ever.

cianni

On the Ice
Top Three

Hi Joe, I have no info just responding in error of course to your post. I thought you were counting Michelle out as if she didnt exist. My mistake. The top 3 dont particularly impress me though I think the judges could annoint one of them. My pick would be maybe Michelle if shes on but Arakawa could if shes on target . . My bet would be Irina will be gifted again with points over the top. I sure hope not buttttttttttttt my faith in honest judging is at an all time low. Another scandel and there goes the sport.

I agree with Lady Bug that this could be Miki Ando's year. She had a great 2003-2004 season, finishing fourth at Worlds. Now her Sophomore slump is behind her, she could put it all together.

I'll take Michelle, Miki and Susanna. Does anyone want Fumie, Joannie and Eleana S.?

Mathman

janetb

Rinkside
What I want is

Irena Slutskya - the best ladies techical skater since Midori Eto and Tanya Harding along with great presentation

Sasha Cohan - currently the best american ladies skater, with exactly the right combination of techincal elements and artistic grace

Joannie Rochette - I think if she had be on like she was a Canadian she could easily placed 3-5 at worlds.

What I would hate.

Michele Kwan to win, because she is not keeping up techinacally and it would be a life time achevment award

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
janetb said:
What I would hate.

Michele Kwan to win, because she is not keeping up techinacally and it would be a life time achevment award

Would you sitll hate it if Michelle won by being the best skater that night?

janetb

Rinkside
No but I don't think she is capable of it any more. For the Last 4 years she has been say I have to up the anti but she hasn’t. Why not? She can’t do it. Without a 3 loop and better spins she shouldn’t win, the same with Fumia.

Janetb, you say that you would hate for Michelle to win because she has not "upped the ante" with difficult technical innovations lately.

But you would love for Sasha to win. I infer from this that you believe that Sasha has upped the ante technically the last year or two. How so?

Mathman

janetb

Rinkside
Mathman,

Sasha continues to be innovative with her spins (currently she is the best spinner in the world). Here she is defiantly pushing the envelope. Her spirals change from year to year. She is also trying in competition, new jump sequences. And while she does flutz she does the full complement of jumps. Can any of the above be said about MK? I would say no.

Most if not all skaters try to improve their technical skills through out their competitive careers. Whatever you say about Jennifer Robinson she did continue to try new things and improved right up to when she retired. MK has never pushed the technical envelope. She is a mediocre spinner at best; her jumping skills have regressed (no loop). And except for this years worlds she has done the same spiral sequence for the last 9 years. Tell me does that indicate to you that she is continuing to try to improve her skills

Janet