You can see it in the ground
You can see it in the trees
You can smell it in the breeze
Look around! Look around! Look around!

June is bustin' out all over
All over the meadow and the hill!
Buds're bustin' outa bushes
And the rompin' river pushes
Ev'ry little wheel that wheels beside the mill!

June is bustin' out all over
The feelin' is gettin' so intense,
That the young Virginia creepers
Hev been huggin' the bejeepers
Outa all the mornin' glories on the fence!
Because it's June...
June, June, June
Just because it's June, June, June!

-- Oscar Hammerstein - "Carousel"

4dk - Wanna know more about Oscar Hammerstein, click here.

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 2nd

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
Bernard Bailey

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 3rd

It seems to me that perfection of means and confusion of goals seems to characterize our age.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 4th

That so few now dare to be eccentric, marks the chief danger of our time.
-- John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 6th

Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness, consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of eternal peace.
-- Dwight Eisenhower

We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and the oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
-- Winston Churchill

June 6, 2005 is the 51st anniversary of "D Day". While great and many celebrations were held to commemorate the 50th anniversary, we must never forget what happened on that Normandy coastline and how it still has an effect on our lives today.

For more information on D-Day see here.

4dk

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 7th

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 8th

For war, when we confront it truthfully, exposes the darkness within all of us. This darkness shatters the illusions many of us hold not only about the human race but about ourselves. Few of us confront our own capacity for evil, but this is especially true in wartime.
Chris Hedges

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 9th

We know how to speak many falsehoods that resemble real things, but we know, when we will, how to speak true things.
-- Hesiod

Point of order!
Joseph McCarthy

“Broadcast "gavel to gavel" on the ABC and DuMont networks from 22 April to 17 June 1954, the Army-McCarthy hearings were the first nationally televised congressional inquiry and a landmark in the emergent nexus between television and American politics. Ostensibly, the Army-McCarthy hearings convened to investigate a convoluted series of charges leveled by the junior Republican Senator from Wisconsin, Joseph R. McCarthy, at the U.S. Army and vice versa.”

“The afternoon of 9 June 1954 brought the emotional climax of the hearings, an exchange replayed in myriad Cold War documentaries."

“Ignoring a pre-hearing agreement between Welch and Cohn, McCarthy insinuated that one Fred Fischer, a young lawyer at Hale & Dorr, harbored communist sympathies. Welch responded with a righteous outburst that hit all the hot buttons: "Until this moment, senator, I think I never gauged your cruelty or recklessness....Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?" When McCarthy tried to strike back, Welch cut him off and demanded the chairman "call the next witness." Pausing just a beat, the hushed gallery erupted in applause. The uncomprehending McCarthy, shot dead on live TV, turned to Cohn and stammered, "What happened?"

For more information and details of this historic event, see here.

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 10th

History is the discovering of the constant and universal principles of human nature.
-- David Hume

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 11th

Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
-- Bernard Berenson

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 12th

Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else.
-- Ogden Nash

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 14th - Flag Day - USA

You're a Grand Old Flag by George M. Cohan

You're a grand old flag,
You're a high flying flag
And forever in peace may you wave.
You're the emblem of
The land I love.
The home of the free and the brave.
Ev'ry heart beats true
'neath the Red, White and Blue,
Where there's never a boast or brag.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
Keep your eye on the grand old flag.

History of Flag Day

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 15th

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the government.
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Trivia:
The Magna Carta was signed this date in 1215 by King John at Runnymede in England.
What is interesting to note is that our Declaration of Independence and Constitution is supposedly based on this 1215 document but in fact the American documents are based an evolved 18th century document.
Magna Carta
British Library site
Encarta - Magna Carta site

But there was a charter that predated the “Great Charter” and it is said to be the document on which the Magna Carta is based. No copies of this document exist. (Thomas Costain wrote an interesting novel, “Below the Salt”, dealing with the original Henry I document and the signing of the Magna Carta.)

“In his coronation charter (1100) Henry promised to remedy the alleged misrule of William II, this document was the first English royal charter of liberties, the ancestor of Magna Carta (1215). The king exploited his resources as feudal suzerain; yet in his reign occurred the beginning of the transformation of feudalism by the commutation of personal to financial service. The creation of the office of justiciar and the royal exchequer also constituted the first appearance of specialization in English government. Royal justice was brought to the local level by itinerant judges, and royal control over the kingdom was strengthened.
Although many barons objected to the severity of his rule, Henry gave peace, security, and stability to his country”

The above from http://www.hannahdustin.com/conqueror.htm
(Scroll down to 2, Henry I "Beauclerc" "King of England" Ruled: Bet. 1100 - 1135)

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 16th

It is not only what we do, but also what we do not do, for which we are accountable.
-- Jean Baptiste Moliere

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 17th

Life is an error-making and an error-correcting process, and nature in marking man's papers will grade him for wisdom as measured both by survival and by the quality of life of those who survive.
-- Dr. Jonas Salk

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 18th

I probably should never have been there anyway, and it served me right when the two alert police officers fired up their siren, pulled me over, and pointed out that my car's registration had expired. I had not realized this, and as you can imagine I felt like quite the renegade outlaw as one of the officers painstakingly wrote out my ticket, standing well to the side of the road so as to avoid getting hit by the steady stream of passing unlicensed and uninsured motorists driving their stolen cars with their left hands so that their right hands would be free to keep their pit bulls from spilling their cocaine all over their machine guns. Not that I am bitter.
-- Dave Barry

4dk

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 19th

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
Abraham Lincoln

From the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire, let freedom ring. From the mighty mountains of New York, let freedom ring. From the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania, let freedom ring. But not only that: Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi."
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

Today is June Teenth. For more information on this holiday read here and here. Information on the Emancipation Proclamation is found here.

4dk

Last edited:

4dogknight

Final Flight
June 20th

Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns;
he should be drawn and quoted.
- Fred Allen

4dk - who apologizes for not remembering that June 19th is also Father's Day 2005. (Happens when one's parents and in laws are no longer with us.)
I usually get something for hubbylove from the furfoots for Father's Day but this year with a new dog, two dogs on heavy medication and one being rushed to the Emergency Clinic last night, well it kinda slipped my mind.

So here's my tribute to Fathers:

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
-- Mark Twain