Sports Kids Moms & Dad--skater profiled | Golden Skate

Sports Kids Moms & Dad--skater profiled

Johar

Medalist
On Bravo tonight, at 10/9c, five sports kids and their pushy parents are profiled, including a skater.

This will be a series.

from the website:
Bravo took viewers backstage for Showbiz Moms & Dads, then dove into the dog show arena for Showdog Moms & Dads and now Bravo is headed to the rinks, fields, courts, and sidelines of America's young, aspiring athletes in Sports Kids Moms & Dads. This new series follows five families' daily struggles and conflicts as their child athletes strive to excel in the highly stressful, competitive, "win at all costs" world of sports. Tracy Austin, the youngest player ever inducted into the Tennis Hall of Fame, will narrate the series and lend her own perspective as a former child sports star.

Every Sports Kids Moms & Dads family has a different story. Their sports include football, cheerleading, basketball, figure skating and equestrian. The families are from all over the nation, from California to Texas to Connecticut.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
Nobody watched this show? It sure was interesting. The skater was Brice-something, and he has skated well in the hunior division.

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
I watched it...but I can't figure out who the kid is. I looked on usfsa and everything and found nothing. Do you know who he is?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
The skater is Bryce Gruwell. He placed 13th in the intermediate mens event at the 2005 US Jr Figure Skating Championships. He skates at Icoplex in Escondido, CA . I skate at the same rink and got to see them filming parts of the show. At the time I didn't know what show they were filming for and I just happen to catch it on TV last night. He's a nice kid.

Johar

Medalist
He seemed nice, but his mom seemed overly pushy. I am going to keep looking for him in the future!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Johar said:
He seemed nice, but his mom seemed overly pushy. I am going to keep looking for him in the future!
I thought the same thing. Although I love figure skating and know that you should start when you're young, when does a kid have time to be a kid???

Dee

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Johar said:

You know, I thought the same thing about his mom until she said the magic words: "I write out big checks to the coaches & its frustrating when it doesn't seem like he's progressing."

$15,000 is A LOT of money and I admire her for shelling it out... I get pissed at my 7 year old's soccer games & practice when he's making silly mistakes & not playing full out. And mind you that soccer "only" costs me about $600 a season. But I would never consider myself a sports parent only a soccer mom who doesn't have money to blow... If you aren't going to play hard, then I can just sign you up at the Y for the rec leagues ~ but don't beg me to play travel when you'd rather watch the bugs crawling on the grass. I could use that money to buy shoes...

As I was watching this show, however, I was bothered by the parents who made it clear that their child's success in a particular sport was a vicarious experience (football & basketball)

The parents who get upset because of the time & financial piece... well, its hard not to give them the benefit of the doubt.

KW

mpal2

Final Flight
The football dad was just scary. He believes that children choose their parents so his son must have known what his childhood training would be like. After all, this unborn kid made the choice to be a great football star and knew this father would be the one to help him. It isn't forced on him at all. :disapp:

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
dlkksk8fan said:
The skater is Bryce Gruwell. He placed 13th in the intermediate mens event at the 2005 US Jr Figure Skating Championships. He skates at Icoplex in Escondido, CA . I skate at the same rink and got to see them filming parts of the show. At the time I didn't know what show they were filming for and I just happen to catch it on TV last night. He's a nice kid.

I'm so sorry, but am I blind? I was looking for him on usfsa in the results and I found nothing...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Did not catch this program, but a couple of years ago the CBC did a similar program exclusively about the lives of young figure skaters behind the scenes. Three young female skaters were featured. Kelia Ohs from North Vancouver, was one of the young female skaters and the other two were from Scotland and England. The camera followed the young ladies for a year during their competive season. It was very good.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
He better nail that double axel so he doesnt suck! I am so amused by his fathers analysis that when he stays up he's great when he falls he sucks.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Johar said:
What's happened lately? Did the equestrian have to sell Disco Go Go?

Not yet, but her mom seems to be having second thoughts about selling the horse because the daughter is so upset ~ unfortunately, this takes the form of cussing her mom out ~ which in my house would've made my mother put her foot up my butt... but to each their own....

The cheerleader girl is "blessed" with a pychopath for a mom... Nothing worse than a mother who had a miserable middle school experience & dreams of showing the "mean girls" how fabulous her life turned out... But then, I guess that's the point of doing the show...

Football kid ~ got in trouble for crying & being "too emotional" His dad is an a**

Basketball kid ~ boring so I switched to General Hospital during this time

Skating kid ~ set the record straight about how all boys who skate aren't gay. New costumes. Blamed a bad practice on his mom not paying attention to him. I feel sorry for his coach.

Johar

Medalist
Last night Bryce went for a single axel, took a bad fall and remained on the ice, curled up. Hope he is okay.

Does equestrian girl have to sell her horse, Disco Go Go?

Football dad is so boorish.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Last night Bryce went for a single axel, took a bad fall and remained on the ice, curled up. Hope he is okay.
Bryce is just fine.
He was on the ice today at the adult session and his double axels are greatly improved-the axel looked very nice, high and well rotated. He was pulling off nice triple/double combos. :thumbsup:

What is with the little dancer's mother? She is crazy! It is always when "we" win, not when my daughter wins. That poor little girl is definitely doing it for her mother and not for herself. I like to see her in about 5yrs to see if she is burnt out.

Johar

Medalist
Thanks for the update on Bryce! It's good to hear he is progressing with his skills. Because of this show I will watch him in the future.