Dancing With the Stars | Golden Skate

Dancing With the Stars

How'd you like the latest in 'somewhat' reality TV?

For me, I liked it mostly because the judges were honest!! They scored correctly, imo. Also I love dancing (any kind) and competitions.

Couple I liked most: Rachel and Johnathan. He's the definition of the perfect male lead. He knows how to lead without being narcisusistic(sp) Of course, he's one of the top male leads in the world. Rachel was more than adequate. She's a tall gal but she kept that from towering over him. She had good line too. It was a lovely waltz.

Other Views - JMO

Joey was a bit heavy footed but the buns worked.

Evander was also a bit heavy and he tended to do disco rather than cha cha.

Kelley was lost with a real narcisusstic guy. He choreographed for himself.

John and Charlotte were also good and hope to see them again.

Trista and Luis are bad pairing off.

What did you think?

Joe

ElvisStojkofan

Rinkside
Fun

This show was fun to watch. One could really tell who's a professional dancer and who just started to learn.

I loved Trista's outfit! I was surprise that the judges were really critical in their marks.

------------------------------------------------------

Check out my fansite!

Elvis Stojko: Heart of Gold

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't know much about dancing so I just enjoyed it. I missed the second couple. I remembered I had to feed the neighbor's dog and didn't want to wait til dark.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I really enjoyed this program and found it a refreshing change from the other reality shows. I did not care who was the best, I just enjoyed watcing each couple perform. It was also nice that they did not overkill with too many contestants and the results are pretty quick too. I think this will be a real treat to watch.
:clap:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
ElvisStojkofan said:
I loved Trista's outfit! I was surprise that the judges were really critical in their marks.

Trista? Wow, some people just cannot get enough of the spotlight! Talk about dragging out your 15 minutes of fame!

heyang

Record Breaker
I didn't think John Hurley was that good. Most of the time his partner was dancing around him while he stood still except for moving his upper body. He did very little footwork.

I also think they should all have done the same dance. Technically, the waltz is harder to do well than the Cha-cha. I guess that's why the ladies were able to waltz because you really need a good lead to do the waltz well. The celebrity male dancers might not have been able to learn the waltz well enough that quickly.

I thought Kelly Monaco danced better than Trista. Kelly's movements were more difficult IMO - I think she lost points just because he didn't smile, but she did look at her partner most of the time. Trista had a nice smile the whole time, but her movements weren't extended enough. Rachel Hunter was probably the best of the female celebrities.

As for the men, I liked Joey M the best - he smiled and he moved and might have been a bit stompy. Already mentioned John H. As for Evander, I was surprised there were no comments about his posture; his shoulders were rounded as were Joey's, but the judges only told Joey that he needed his shoulders back and nose up and Evander did the same thing without comment.

Did not like the hosts. Very corny.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joe, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I missed the first one but will be watching this week. I love to watch dance competitions. PBS would show some of the competitions and it was great to watch sadly they aren't anymore. The "waltzers" :laugh: :laugh: seemed to just glide over the dance floor. The latin dancers -wow- and I couldn't believe the shoes the women wore. I can't wait to watch this.

Years ago, I had a cousin who was an Arthur Murray instructor. He was tall dark and handsome with a very nice lean body. When he came back to Nebraska, he tried, and I use the term tried very loosly, to teach his sisters and me to tango. He showed us how to hold our hands, the "look" and how to be led on the dance floor with just the touch of his fingers. Oh the good old days!!

Anyhow, you're the best Joe!!

Dee

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Another British rip-off

I was in Scotland for the winter holidays and got hooked on the original. They also did a special with Ice Dancing! That was awesome!

Yana

sk8m8

Final Flight
In so much as most reality TV origionates in Europe, I'm glad this one made it across the pond. Like AI, this is "reality tv" that I can watch because it's basically a talent competiton. I CANNOT believe that Evander Holyfield got those scores when he attempted to dance a "funky cha-cha with feet of stone."
Conversely, Kelly Monaco was excellent, by dance standards, and got slammed by the judges. I wonder since the professional BR dancers are stars in their own right if the judges aren't influenced by how they feel about them. Who knows? I think I'll just decide that I'm rooting for Kelly and enjoy the show. Lord knows I analyize everything else to DEATH. :think:

CDMM1991

Medalist
This Week's Episode?

Did anybody catch this week's episode? I did, and I didn't catch all of the episode last week so this was my first impression of some of the teams. Here is what I thought judging on this week's performances:

Rachel Hunter and Jonathan Roberts- It seems to me that she must have some kind of dance background and they are very impressive. I do think they look a little mismatched though because she is so tall, and not as slim as most professional dancers.

Joey McIntyre and Ashly Delgrosso- They are quite good, but he could work on his posture. I think he had the best expression though.

Trista Sutter and Louis Van Amstel- He seems like a bit of a drama queen and doesn't show her off and make her look good as much as I think he could. I think he wants to show himself off a bit too much. She had a horrible dress on this week, and just didn't impress me very much.

John O'Hurley and Charlotte Jorgenson- She is fantastic, and I think, makes him look much better than he is. Especially last week, I thought their score was prepostorous seen as it was 95% her dancing around him while he stood there except for the one time where he had to do some footwork and he messed it up! Anyways, this week I was much more impressed because he showed me that he had that footwork in it and I thought the partnership was much more equal this week. I think they deserve to be on top. He also seems like he isn't taking himself too seriously and he is just having fun out there.

Kelly Monaco and Alec Mazo- I think they went into this week's show with the perfect attitude! They really did have nothing to lose and they looked like they were having fun! They weren't very good but they did go out there and try their best. Was a bit more of a drama than a dance but hey they were entertaining.

Evander Holyfield and Edyta Sliwinska- Haha I still think it is hilarious that the four time heavyweight champion of the world is on this show but it looks like he was trying his best with the quickstep which is possibly the hardest dance for him.

I can't say I was disappointed with the result in the end. Though they weren't in any way the worst dancers of the group, I didn't find Trista and Louis as fun to watch as others. I was very surprised at the fact that the other bottom team was Rachel and Jonathan because they are one of the best teams in the competition. I definitely hope that they don't get booted next week.

So, what do you guys think?

heyang

Record Breaker
I was very surprised at the fact that the other bottom team was Rachel and Jonathan because they are one of the best teams in the competition.

The host announced in random order; so, Rachel & Jonathon weren't neccessarily in the bottom 2.

I think some of the public vote would be biased against Trista since she isn't a celebrity due to any particular talent. This may have led to people not voting for her. Everyone else has a fan base to support them.

The results were based on the scores plus the phone-ins. I don't trust phone-ins.

IMO, Johnathan is the perfect lead and the best dancer in the contest. He makes Rachel look better than she really is. I would like to see him dance with Charlotte as an exhibition.

I must say I am increasing my knowledge of how to judge dancing. I'll apply that new found knowledge to ice dance.

Wonder what the next 2 dances will be.

Joe

CDMM1991

Medalist
heyang said:
The host announced in random order; so, Rachel & Jonathon weren't neccessarily in the bottom 2.

I think some of the public vote would be biased against Trista since she isn't a celebrity due to any particular talent. This may have led to people not voting for her. Everyone else has a fan base to support them.

The first four were in random order, but then once it was those two teams she said they were the bottom two.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh-h-h-h I really enjoyed watching this last night. To be honest, I'm glad that Trista got the boot. :agree: I couldn't believe it when they were rehearsing and Trista had to bring her husband to practice to say if it was OK to do the dance. As she was dancing she would look at the audience and smile as if to say…….look at me in my cute little white outfit. I think it must have been difficult for her partner to want to whack her up along side the head……she may have had the look if he did. :laugh: I think of all the teams I didn’t enjoy them at all. I would have much rather just watched her partner. He was working twice as hard.

I loved watching John and Charlotte. He had the look, posture, a good arch to his back, the head was held high and very square shoulders. They seemed to glide over the dance floor. I didn’t notice him messing up. I guess I’ll have to watch closer.

Dee

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Joesitz said:
Wonder what the next 2 dances will be.

Joe

Me too. I'm going to guess the Paso Doble and the Tango. Just a wild guess.

I was a little upset that they don't reveal the phone vote or let us know how exactly they combine those results. I think Kelly benefitted from the scathing remarks from the judges last week and people voted for her because they felt bad for her.

I liked Trista last week, this week she wasn't as good. Her partner didn't help her out. Evander totally messed up. I liked Joey's footwork, but his posture was bad. John's posture was great, but not as much footwork. Rachel was probably my favorite last night. Kelly had great expression, but little dancing.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is the site for Dancing with the Stars. They have a message board there too. Some of the posts are funny. You can vote here too but you have to register.

Dancing with the Stars

Dee