Maria Butyrskaya | Golden Skate

Maria Butyrskaya

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I came across the video of her 1999 Worlds performances. I realized she is a skater I really miss. I know she had her issues on the jumping front, but she had such a style of her own on the ice and she really pulled it together for '99 Worlds.

I was curious what she is doing these days. I couldn't find anything on the net beyond the news of her engagement in early 2004. Does anyone know if she's still involved with skating? I always thought she would make an interesting choreographer, but have no idea if she's tried that, or coaching or anything else.

If anyone has news....

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I've heard a lot about her, but never ever got to see her skate.

Wonder if I can get my hands on a video in the future, once I have HS internet once again.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Red Dog

This is a good site for hunting down videos. http://fsvids.9.forumer.com

Maria was never known for good technique (especially jumps) and her "bad" performances were positively painful to watch. But when she kept it together, I thoroughly enjoyed her. When I think Ice Diva, I think Maria. After winning the Russian Nationals for so many years, I was glad to see her finally win a World Championship. IIRC she was the first Russian lady to win Worlds, and I also think she was the oldest lady to win worlds (26) - and I believe that record still stands. I know someone will politely correct me if I'm wrong on any of that! ;)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the mini-bio (although I knew most of the stuff already through research ;) )

I'm actually registered at the forum you provided, so I'll look for a video or request a video once I get my high-speed internet back up and running. (it's back to the good old days for me!)

Jill

On the Ice
I miss Maria's skating, but I don't miss her constantly putting down Michelle Kwan.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
Maria was never known for good technique (especially jumps) and her "bad" performances were positively painful to watch.
Actually, Butyrskaya was one of the ladies of her time with better technique, her problem was always nerves. Anyone who watched her practices was amazed, but in competition she always had much confidence problems. Technically, she was very good. Her loop was textbook. She had a true lutz and a true flip. Her spins were always very good too (she would probably score nicely with COP). She could have stiff knees, but her basic skills overall were great.

Her longevity was impressive and not only she competed at the top for so long, she always tried to improve. It was a pity she left the eligible ranks by withdrawing from Worlds, but it was still a good season for her, as she even won Europeans (she was 29). The current field of ladies is very interesting, but I miss her. Her programs were always so well choreographed and the way she presented them was superb. She truly skated as a woman.

Recently, she's done a little of everything. I believe she did some commentary for TV, she hosted a morning show (I think it was called "Exercises for the Nation", but don't quote me on this) and she has skated in shows, mostly in Europe, although she also participated in the World Team Challenge (the pro competition with teams from RUssia, US, Canada and Europe). She also had her own skating show in Russia last season (I tink it was in September or October).

She hasn't really kept up her skills and while she still landed triples a couple of years ago, this past season they weren't there. Her programs are always interesting, though. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem as committed nor much interested in skating as a pro and I think it shows in her skating. She never hid the fact that she always prefered competitions to shows. I believe she said she would stop skating altogether after she retired from eligible skating, but then she sort of returned after trying other things. I don't know what her plans are for next season, there were rumours she would again have a skating show, but so far nothing has been confirmed.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
JillLaQ said:
I miss Maria's skating, but I don't miss her constantly putting down Michelle Kwan.
She was very complimentary towards Kwan more than once and one of those times it was fairly recently. I think she appreciates mature skating. I would provide a link with her comments but I don't remember where I read those.

I seem to recall she carried the Olympic torch for these past Games (in Athens) if you're interested in this information :biggrin: As for choreography, I don't know if she tried working with others skaters, but IIRC, all her pro material was done by her. What she is known for is fashion. I think she designed most of her costumes and always showed interest in this area.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
The current field of ladies is very interesting, but I miss her. Her programs were always so well choreographed and the way she presented them was superb. She truly skated as a woman.

That is truly what I miss about her. Whatever her jump issues were (technique, nerves, both, neither) doesn't matter to me. She was one of the most interesting skaters of her day. I would love to see what she could do choreographing for other skaters. But of course, that may not be her interest.

Did she marry the man she was engaged to in early 2004? I assume so, but with minimal research nothing beyond that came up readily for me. I hope she is happy.

DG

Maria Butryskaya!! Beautiful, Talented Designer, Feisty, Courageous, Somewhat talented as a skater.

I miss her too.

Joe

I think she is popular in Japan, too. IIRC she got a big endorsement contract there a couple of years ago, and she has skated in some of the Prince Hotel shows.

I don't think she was disrespectful of Michelle. I think she just wanted people to know that Michelle wasn't the only skater in the world. Maria did beat Michelle at worlds in 1999, and would have repeated in 2000 except that Maria was bumped down to third in the LP by Irina.

Maria was the skater that Sarah Hughes was measured against. Maria was number three in the world, but Sarah was coming on strong. Sarah finally caught her in 2001.

Mathman

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I think she is popular in Japan, too. IIRC she got a big endorsement contract there a couple of years ago, and she has skated in some of the Prince Hotel shows.

I don't think she was disrespectful of Michelle. I think she just wanted people to know that Michelle wasn't the only skater in the world. Maria did beat Michelle at worlds in 1999, and would have repeated in 2000 except that Maria was bumped down to third in the LP by Irina.

Mathman

I'm glad to hear she is popular in other countries. I can really envision her as an interesting professional skater with all of her flairs. If my dream of a "Masters" pro series ever happens, I hope she is a contestant!!

And on point two, now I'm going on the hunt for 2000 World videos to refresh my memory for that year. Jeez. More work. :p

Joe, I always find your points of view interesting, so I'll ask a question. Is there a current skater who reminds you in any way of Maria's characteristics - i.e. the flair and plusses that she had, while being less of a skating talent technically? Strangely, when I ask myself that question E-Man comes to mind. I'm not sure that the technicalities are the same, but in terms of "edge of your seat" level nerves when he performs jumps, there are some similarities for me. And when he delivers, he delivers. And when he doesn't, it can be a real doozy. I realize they are from two different eras of skating, and two different divisions (sexes of course). But that's the closest I can come in the moment. Guess I'll have to think about that some more.

I was thrilled for Maria when she put the right programs together at the right time to claim a World Gold Medal. I would feel the same way if E-Man came through, and I hope one day he does.

DG

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Maria was a fantastic jumper, but a nervous competitor. In practices and through years of effort, she did learn the triple axel. But, she never mastered it enough to try it in competition.

I miss her because she was elegant, mature and interesting, and when she was on with the jumps, she was marvelous.

Doggygirl said:
And on point two, now I'm going on the hunt for 2000 World videos to refresh my memory for that year. Jeez. More work. :p
And well will your effort be rewarded, if you get Michelle's Red Violin LP! The all-time great clutch Kwan performance (plus the prettiest dress in her extensive wardrobe).

Michelle, as usual, was behind the eight ball. With only a so-so qualifying round performance, she finished second to Irina Slutskaya in her group, while Maria was winning the second group. This put Michelle tied for third/fourth (with Mikilin Kierkgaard) overall.

Disaster struck in the short program. With a wonky landing or two, Michelle finished third behind Maria (first) and Irina (second). This gave Maria two firsts and Irina a first and a second after two rounds, with Michelle struggling to keep the leaders in sight.

And then...and then...and then... Our sweetie came up with perhaps the most astonishing performance of her career, nailing her triple-triple for the first time all season, landing seven triples in all, and skating with a joyous abandon that swept all before it.

But she was so far behind Maria that she was not "in control of her own destiny" as they say. Maria skated after Michelle and was good enough for second in the free up to that point. If Maria could hold on to second, she would win the championship.

Last to skate was Irina. If she won the LP, she was world champion. If she finished third behind Kwan and Butyrskaya, then Butryrskaya would win. The only way for Michelle to win was if Irina managed just to insert herself into second place between Michelle and Maria.

Aaaggghh! How can we stand the tension?

I love this sport!

Here is the ISU's write-up of the LP.

http://ww2.isu.org/figure/events/9900/worlds6.html

Mathman:):):):love:

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I can really envision her as an interesting professional skater with all of her flairs. If my dream of a "Masters" pro series ever happens, I hope she is a contestant!!
Again, I don't see this happening, unfortunately. She doesn't seem to have the drive to skate as a professional skater and her performances suffer because of it. This last season at World Team Challenge, in the artistic portion of the program, she tried two jumps in the beginning of the program and fell on both. It almost seemed as she wanted to give up of the performance at that point. She got through the program smiling because Yagudin and Sikharulidze were at the boards dancing to her music and cheering her on, but when the program was over you could see her so disappointed with herself.

She often said competing was what mattered, it's one of the reasons she stayed in the sport for so long. It's somewhat odd, actually. With all her nerve problems, one would think she would shine as a professional, once she no longer had to deal with the pressure, but it hasn't been this way.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I thinki if pro skating returns she could contribute a lot. I often saw her as the Khorkina of figure skating.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Maria, to me, was one of those skaters who's "great on the ground, scary in the air", much like Silvia Fontana. She IMO never got enough credit for the way her skating flowed (around a lot of stiff-legged jump landings, granted) and especially for her hand and arm positioning. I really wanted to see her medal in SLC, but she gave one of her worst performances there. "17 Moments in Spring" (her long program in 99-00 and 00-01 is one of my all-time favorite Ladies long programs. It is surprising how few truly ELEGANT skaters we see among the ladies, and Maria was one of them.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Eeyora said:
I thinki if pro skating returns she could contribute a lot. I often saw her as the Khorkina of figure skating.

LOL - Svetlana was the one who came to mind for me...but we're obviously thinking alike!